• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP Personality Traits - Female ENTPs v Male ENTPs

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm all for rationality, and I don't feel bad about crushing people who can't back up their claims and beliefs.

But reason is just that, coherence. And reason should, I guess, accepts that relativity is what seems to be extractible from empirical study of sense data and other means of data retrieval. Sense data being itself reliable to a degree and consistent as far as relevant scales, environnements and frequencies(so energy levels) are concerned.

So, my point is, that logic is but a branch of a wider rationality, which takes into account the relative relevancy of feelings and well, every sort of information available and look for internally coherent systems given the possible applications in the environnement and of course the degree to which applicability seems to tend to universality.

Then ofc it's all about the number of computations vs survival value/pleasure induced by a satisfying answer.

But I could go like that forever. Networks, you know.

Forward and into the Nether void!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It'd be much easier for me if people started using geometry/dynamics as an international and widespread language. (something perhaps a bit more exciting than using X and Y, we need marketers!)

ouh, that could be an idea.
Perhaps use directionality in N space for too qualitative statements (with a logical progression related to universability and statistical distribution of applicability)

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Like we could attribute traits for each dimension, group them into 3d constructs then have an overall information dense idea of what we're talking about directly just by visualising the images.
The cool side is that if ur just talking about highly culturally relative things the system would be limited to very few dimensions, perhaps 3 or less if the system is simplified making for simple visualisation (no need for multiple pictures, you could also get data from super imposition of 3d pictures, and a color code)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Guilty as charged.

And, yeah, a huge part of it is that there's this allergic reaction, almost, to logical inconsistency. When thoughts are processed from external sources, it's as if they're just flowing into me, and, it's easy for me to figure out how they fit into my inner overall mental map. So, when a thought that appears to be logically inconsistent gets picked up, it's like a jarring stop to the flow. It hinders me from moving on to process any more new external information, because I'm stuck trying to figure out where/how that logically inconsistant piece of information goes, and how to deal with it properly. This is what leads to my frustration.

It's not as much because it's a cherished baby as it is a nuisance to my thought process. It's like watching a streaming video, and your net is lagging, which stops the video every so often.....which makes it choppy and irritating to watch. That's what happens when my external perception picks up information, while my Ti is working on figuring out where that information fits, and then, an information arrives that contradicts something previously picked up, and it stops the video. Irritation.

As for just saying, "wrong", versus "can you explain your reasoning?"...it depends on my mood, and my want to appeal to my tertiary Fe. When I was younger, I gave the former answer much more than now.

Sometimes, the true answer is so apparent (to me), that I just need to point out the wrong answer, and leave it at that, because my mind is calmed again, as it successfully dealt with the "incorrect"/logically inconsistent information by acknowledging it. I.e., "wrong" = stop (taking the idea further given that piece of info).

Often, I do explain why it's wrong, but when I don't really explain why, it's because my mood is just not there to invest the energy to explain or want to know why they got the answer they did (because, to me, the answer seems obviously wrong, so knowing how they arrived at it is irrelevant). I just want to put a stop to it, with minimal effort and consideration (of anything, like, the person on the other end). Thus, I leave it to the other party to ask (if they're even interested), for clarification - and due to that explicit request, I'll invest that Fe energy to explain it to the other. Otherwise, I just simply want the peace of mind knowing that my mind can keep with the flow of processing information as logical inconsistencies are explicitly acknowledge, stopped, and, I can move on to the next. My flow.

Yeah! That was what I was trying to puzzle in my head. (But my Ti isn't so clear, it's like an INTP trying to do a math equation without his glasses ;), he's effectively blind and frustrated that he doesn't know half of what's going on.)

I think my annoyance comes from not understanding them, but being put into the 'weakling' position for what feels like an unfair reason, and not being allowed to explain myself... if I can. Since Ni is a way of perceiving the world, it works on its own, it's also worse since I'm underdeveloped and Se takes more control, whipping out what I thought was witty too fast before I recognize how stupid it is. Also, language is linear while my thoughts are not, adding to the confusion if I say something that was ingenious in the wrong way.

How would you react to someone apologizing for the slip up?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Since Ni is a way of perceiving the world, it works on its own, it's also worse since I'm underdeveloped and Se takes more control, whipping out what I thought was witty too fast before I recognize how stupid it is. Also, language is linear while my thoughts are not, adding to the confusion if I say something that was ingenious in the wrong way.

We're not exactly ISTJSrobots either

Qre:us

Yeah! That was what I was trying to puzzle in my head. (But my Ti isn't so clear, it's like an INTP trying to do a math equation without his glasses ;), he's effectively blind and frustrated that he doesn't know half of what's going on.)

I think my annoyance comes from not understanding them, but being put into the 'weakling' position for what feels like an unfair reason, and not being allowed to explain myself... if I can. Since Ni is a way of perceiving the world, it works on its own, it's also worse since I'm underdeveloped and Se takes more control, whipping out what I thought was witty too fast before I recognize how stupid it is. Also, language is linear while my thoughts are not, adding to the confusion if I say something that was ingenious in the wrong way.

Well, firstly, don't think that you need to apologize to the ENTP just because they think it's wrong. It could very well be that the premise the ENTP started with (the specific piece gathered by Ne) is not the same premise you had. Thus, your response didn't match up with their internal, subjective Ti (logical) analysis, as they're going off their premise, and concluding you to be wrong. Which is wrong on their behalf, from your perspective.

However, if you do think you understood the premise they had in mind, and thus, their logical process to reach the conclusion they did ("wrong"), and you agree with that, you can just acknowledge that (apology or otherwise, like saying, "Ah, gotch, I see what you mean."). E.g., most likely scenarios are when objective facts are in question.

I actually get kind of irritated when people bend over backwards apologizing to me for pretty much every little thing. It makes me wary like they're expecting some kind of social grace from me, in return, and/or that they're perhaps overly sensitive and just need to agree for the sake of agreement. It seems trite.

But, if you can't really understand how your answer is "wrong", it may very well be that you and the ENTP had very different premises in mind. So, ask them to either explain their premise and how they reached the conclusion they did, given your answer....OR....tell them your thought process, outline your mental model and how/why you arrived at the answer you did.

I really like knowing the step by step process of how a person reached their conclusion, the associations they made, etc., if we're in a disagreement. I like transparency in information exchange.

sculpting

Q do you sleep? :)

Have you ever seen Ti not bound by reality? Not in like a fun Ne way...but in a kinda weird way.

For instance an ENTP I know kept trying to convince me I should be buying platinum and holding it as an investment. Okay, logically there may be no fault in this idea. But-perhaps this is the premises part-for me, in my particular situation-I do not have time to deal with such a complex investment scheme, thus it is inefficient and the incorrect answer (Te says so!). I didnt argue or anything, but just jotted it down mentally as weird.

Most of this entps's ideas are like this-yes, logically they connect, but in the dimension we all live in, they are not the best path forward. Even worse they will sometimes be inconsistent with historical data. It worked once, thus is correct-even if no one else can replicate. They are flawed, not the idea. He will spend months arguing these points with the other entps. I have another entp-4.5M-who has done this same thing. 4.5M has costs my at least 200 work hours in the last year that were wholly focused upon removing his ideas from my product line. Funny, I do like him nowdays. He isnt evil, just not quite "right".

I have been chatting with K about how Si may help ENFPs ground Fi. How does Si help ENTPs ground Ti? or does it? I dunno... Could these be failures of Si to ground Ti ideas in reality?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ur totally right
but seriously, you should buy platinum though :whistling:

it's all really part of an entp conspiracy(tm) to create a large rise in platinum value.
And what do you mean who bombed all these platinum mines :coffee:

ti+fe, if we can bring you in and the system was already coherent, you agreeing to play along can only reduce the risks for ourselves

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well, firstly, 1*don't think that you need to apologize to the ENTP just because they think it's wrong. It could very well be that the premise the ENTP started with (the specific piece gathered by Ne) is not the same premise you had. Thus, your response didn't match up with their internal, subjective Ti (logical) analysis, as they're going off their premise, and concluding you to be wrong. Which is wrong on their behalf, from your perspective.

However, if you do think you understood the premise they had in mind, and thus, their logical process to reach the conclusion they did ("wrong"), and you agree with that, you can just acknowledge that (apology or otherwise, like saying, "Ah, gotch, I see what you mean."). E.g., most likely scenarios are when objective facts are in question.

I actually get kind of irritated when people bend over backwards apologizing to me for pretty much every little thing. It makes me wary like they're expecting some kind of social grace from me, in return, and/or that they're perhaps overly sensitive and just need to agree for the sake of agreement. 2*It seems trite.

But, if you can't really understand how your answer is "wrong", it may very well be that you and the ENTP had very different premises in mind. So, ask them to either explain their premise and how they reached the conclusion they did, given your answer....OR....tell them your thought process, outline your mental model and how/why you arrived at the answer you did.

3*I really like knowing the step by step process of how a person reached their conclusion, the associations they made, etc., if we're in a disagreement. I like transparency in information exchange.

1*So ENTPs, or at least you, don't think disagreement is something worthy of apologizing for if you can explain your side? What is worth apologizing for? I'm just curious.

2* I understand that, though when I apologize its when I feel like I lost 'points' (Think 'The Sims') with them. Recouping losses is the goal in mind when I do. I feel shitty if I don't feel like I did enough to fix a situation.

3* What I think bugs ENTPs the most is that my train of thought is usually inconsistent, or NONexistent, which almost always shoves a non-sequitur into the ENTP's gears. Since I'm unbalanced, I make so many slip-ups by non thinking before I speak, because I lose whatever I thought and can't usually get it back again.

Q do you sleep?
ExxPs don't sleep often unless they work (Even then!). Most that I know prefer to substitute Red Bull, or something more to their taste, for sleep.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1*So ENTPs, or at least you, don't think disagreement is something worthy of apologizing for if you can explain your side? What is worth apologizing for? I'm just curious.

Why apologise for disagreeing? Isn't apologising something people do when they've done something that would upset another person? If you're talking about an all-out, gloves off style argument then that's a different thing but I read this as in debating a topic that you and the ENTP disagree on.

Keep in mind as a general rule ENTPs enjoy debating, it doesn't matter if the other person is right or wrong or a good or bad debater, we like people with different opinions cause that makes us rethink our stance and/or argument and it mostly matters that they don't get emotional as in upset because we're prolly enjoying ourselves. Apologising would indicate to me that if I say something wrong in my argument (which I'm mostly probably detached from emotionally even if I'm passionate about it) then I'll upset you as you are taking it personally, asking to explain in more detail an aspect that you've misunderstood or clarifying that you've misunderstood would be received better imo.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Why apologise for disagreeing? Isn't apologising something people do when they've done something that would upset another person? If you're talking about an all-out, gloves off style argument then that's a different thing but I read this as in debating a topic that you and the ENTP disagree on.

Keep in mind as a general rule ENTPs enjoy debating, it doesn't matter if the other person is right or wrong or a good or bad debater, we like people with different opinions cause that makes us rethink our stance and/or argument and it mostly matters that they don't get emotional as in upset because we're prolly enjoying ourselves. Apologising would indicate to me that if I say something wrong in my argument (which I'm mostly probably detached from emotionally even if I'm passionate about it) then I'll upset you as you are taking it personally, asking to explain in more detail an aspect that you've misunderstood or clarifying that you've misunderstood would be received better imo.

It's more like, we're having a conversation when I throw in a 'giant smelly fish of an idea' into it that is logically wrong. The ENTP in question would just automatically retort with something that IS logical, and I know she's right, but it feels as if she closed up with a 'Don't talk, you're illogical and stupid' sign on the door. Either I'm right, thus she's immature or repressing something, or I'm wrong and reading my own feelings as if they were hers.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's more like, we're having a conversation when I throw in a 'giant smelly fish of an idea' into it that is logically wrong. The ENTP in question would just automatically retort with something that IS logical, and I know she's right, but it feels as if she closed up with a 'Don't talk, you're illogical and stupid' sign on the door. Either I'm right, thus she's immature or repressing something, or I'm wrong and reading my own feelings as if they were hers.

Hmmkay, depends entirely upon the individual. People have often said they didn't think I was open to other views in a debate because I sound sure of myself and challenge views quite hard but from my perspective I always have an open mind cause nothing is ever concrete and decided for me. My INFJ sis is most sensitive to this frequently telling me and my ESFJ mum to stop arguing when we're having a ripper of a debate. Maybe you're friend is a tool when it comes to people saying something they find illogical, maybe you're projecting. Can't narrow that down for you :D

Either way I don't think apologising for having a giant smelly fish of a view is necessary.

Qre:us

Q do you sleep? :)

heh, recently not really. I have a big deadline I've been trying to meet, which means my sleep is all screwed up. If I sleep, my mind still doesn't shut off from the stuff I'm working on and I'm anxious that time's-a-wastin' (with petty sleep) or, in my sleep, I'll think of a "brilliant" angle to tackle in my work, and I'll wake myself up, in fear that I won't remember it if I wake up later. And, if I keep sleeping, in my dream, it's really watching myself work through the process of solving the angle anyway, in minute details, full script and all. So, I literally spring myself up, with my computer lying beside me on the bed, and get back to work, until my mind is calmed again, briefly, because that idea was tackled. So, my sleep is in spurts of a few hours max. I just woke myself up because of one of these "ideas" (and I'd been asleep for 2 hours).

I do this until time is really running out, like a day or two before the deadline, and then, it's "zone" time. As in, no sleep, no eat, no bathroom breaks, no moving from my spot (I developed sciatica because of my bad posture beind held for hours on end, year before last). This "zone" time is coming up soon. I can't work in pieces, if I'm intently invested in something, I can't do anything else beyond 100% focus on the thing at hand, from beginning to end, and I'm only calmed until the end is reached - one shot. So, yeah. My work ethics is shyte.

Besides, sleeping means I'm probably missing out on some fun adventures in life. :D

Have you ever seen Ti not bound by reality? Not in like a fun Ne way...but in a kinda weird way.

For instance an ENTP I know kept trying to convince me I should be buying platinum and holding it as an investment. Okay, logically there may be no fault in this idea. But-perhaps this is the premises part-for me, in my particular situation-I do not have time to deal with such a complex investment scheme, thus it is inefficient and the incorrect answer (Te says so!). I didnt argue or anything, but just jotted it down mentally as weird.

Most of this entps's ideas are like this-yes, logically they connect, but in the dimension we all live in, they are not the best path forward. Even worse they will sometimes be inconsistent with historical data. It worked once, thus is correct-even if no one else can replicate. They are flawed, not the idea. He will spend months arguing these points with the other entps. I have another entp-4.5M-who has done this same thing. 4.5M has costs my at least 200 work hours in the last year that were wholly focused upon removing his ideas from my product line. Funny, I do like him nowdays. He isnt evil, just not quite "right".

I have been chatting with K about how Si may help ENFPs ground Fi. How does Si help ENTPs ground Ti? or does it? I dunno... Could these be failures of Si to ground Ti ideas in reality?

:laugh: I never seriously consider ideas that are not realistically feasible and only if the benefit is far > than the cost (accounting for EFFORT). So, I dunno about such ENTPs. Can't help ya there. EFFORT guides a hella lot of decisions in my life.

Honest apology is not just a sentiment for me, it's a promise (a contract) to be aware to avoid the same occurance in the future. Given that the reality of human interactions is disagreement, I don't see the relevance of apologizing for disagreements, in and of itself. I apologize when I see that I have hindered or harmed the other's resource(s) in some real way. Resources being their time, energy, monetary, emotional or other tangible investments into me or our interaction.

Besides, if I apologized for every disagreement I have with people, I'd be apologizing more than discussing. IRL, I usually present my disagreement using Fe to make it palatable so the disagreements are not generally very conflict-like.

2* I understand that, though when I apologize its when I feel like I lost 'points' (Think 'The Sims') with them. Recouping losses is the goal in mind when I do. I feel shitty if I don't feel like I did enough to fix a situation.

For me, the way I make up 'points' is more action/impact oriented. Such as, trying extra hard to understand something else they say, and showing my interest, attention and understanding in this subsequent thing. Past cannot be fixed, it can only teach us about pitfalls to avoid in the present and the future. So, the only way to 'recoup losses' is to either show gains in something else, fix the subsequent results in some tangible way from that previous loss, or, prevent a similar loss in the present or future.

I very rarely "wallow in the past" - to me it's unproductive use of time. Look back at the past, enough to figure out the mistakes, then DO SOMETHING. Move on. Onwards and upwards.

3* What I think bugs ENTPs the most is that my train of thought is usually inconsistent, or NONexistent, which almost always shoves a non-sequitur into the ENTP's gears. Since I'm unbalanced, I make so many slip-ups by non thinking before I speak, because I lose whatever I thought and can't usually get it back again.

As an ENTP, the way I think through thoughts is by bouncing around an idea, so I welcome when someone else uses me to do the same. The thought doesn't have to be finalized, in concrete, completely coherent form; just work your way through comprehension of your thoughts using the ENTP as a springboard, perhaps?

blucie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Ha - this post is 5 years old. Nonetheless I'm going to reply.

Agreed. I just started reading profiles of female ENTPs yesterday and I was startled at the accuracy - I had no idea so much of my behavior was related to my type (whereas the general profile of the ENTP is nowhere near as accurate).

The comparison in male vs. female ENTP reminds me of this: I have a couple of INTJ friends, one of whom is positively gorgeous. His appearance has insulated him from the pressure that most INTJs feel to learn better social skills, which they don't have naturally. I see it as analogous to the male vs. female ENTP. Female ENTPs aren't readily accepted, so we learn to adapt, we mature. Male ENTPs do not have this refining pressure, therefore they remain immature longer.

yeghor

I don't get it- I have a lot more common with the other ladies of my type than I have in common with the guys (who I occasionally think are being impractical and want to give a whop over the head... :D)

I really wouldn't think that there would be so much of a gender difference within a personality type, but the more posts by other ENTPs I read, the more of a difference it seems to be- if I read all of the posts by the guys I'd start to suspect my ENTPness, but then I read posts by the girls (especially a couple of them...) and then I think "wow... yeah... these people have A LOT in common personality-wise with me!"

It just seems like ENTP females and ENTP males are almost different and distinct types somehow! :huh:

anyone else notice this?

There's a high chance that you are actually an ESTP because you are an E8 rather than an E7 and E7 is weak in your tritype. You'll notice that most ENTPs responding to you in the thread are E7s. That's the reason you cannot identify with E7 males but identify with the so-called ENTP females in the forum who are probably E8 ESxP women instead.

Ne-doms would have high E7 and low E8 whereas Se-doms would have high E8 and low E1.

I'd say the main difference between male and female ENTPs has more to do with how each is treated by society and how such treatment molds their personalities rather than biologically-induced cognitive differences. The noticeable differences have nothing to do with sex and everything to do with gender.

To further elaborate on the ENTP/gender relationship, I think ENTP personality just gives way to females appearing more "masculine" (and whaddayaknow? this just so happens to be an arbitrary term defined by societal stereotyping). My friends actually say that I have a mental penis, and I've been mistaken for a man in several physically anonymous situations (this forum included).

I find this really interesting, as male ENTPs don't really come off as particularly masculine, so why should female ENTPs come off as masculine? It seems like female ESTPs would be the more masculine ones (due to the aggression and abrasive bluntness), but the female ESTPs that I know are actually pretty feminine.

Female ESTPs that you know to be feminine might actually be some other type, skewing your perception.

Feminism was cool until it turned into female supremacist misandry.

Yes.