• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] It frustrates me to no end when people FAIL at simple logic

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tharenii Is Mad: The fact that people say "I have friends of different races" itself shows they are racist as they see colour!
Mischa Arielle PeiYi Char and 3 others like this.
Soo Eerong: and when a person feels offended by a remark, it shows he acknowledges his colour and breeds racism
Sathish Kumar: amen i know. i find it wierd
Visakan Veerasamy: if seeing colour is racist, saying "I have both male and female friends" means you're sexist, doesn't it?
Soo Eerong: cos there is no use in acknowleging colour, but don't tell me u don't wanna have sex ?
Soo Eerong: :)
Levina Nicola Kiara Mahendran: Visa if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Cause its irritating and childish.
Visakan Veerasamy: It irritates you when someone appeals to reason?
SERIOUSLY?! I need new friends.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
So, if I don't want to acknowledge difference between night and day, I can see in the dark..?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Nolla hits the nail on the head. It's insanity to refuse to see differences simply because some people distort those differences into something offensive. It's absurd the way some people don't (won't?) understand that biology cannot be altered with political rhetoric.

md5fungi

MBTI Type
INTP
Haha, that's hilarious. I agree that you need new friends.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, at least this comment is something I wouldn't think I hear from anyone I consider a friend:

I don't think there's anything wrong with being told that...

I think it should be said better, but I'd appreciate it if a friend of mine told me they thought I was being stupid.

If I couldn't or wouldn't appreciate it, then the person shouldn't or wouldn't be considered a friend, before it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'd appreciate it if a friend of mine told me they thought I was being stupid.

Now that you put it like that, I agree. I think the situation described above made me think the way I did...

EDIT: Or, maybe it's that I don't want to be told to "say something nice"...

lamp

At the risk of being eviscerated, isnt Visa being logical?

edit: oh. hehe.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder if you're referring to Ti logic. Or Te, Fi, or Fe, or any number of kinds of logic that don't understand why everyone else seems so illogical.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
OP is just referring to the fact that those in question don't know the definition of "racist."

md5fungi

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think there's anything wrong with being told that...

Disagree.

"If you don't have any nice to say, don't say it" is a terrible thing for a friend to say. They're basically saying "I know you disagree with me, so shut the fuck up and don't voice your opinion".

It's even more appalling in this case, because he's the only person being logical in the entire conversation.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's even more appalling in this case, because he's the only person being logical in the entire conversation.

It's irrelevant who is right. He is of course, but there will be times when it is less obvious. The attitude to the differences of opinion is what matters.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nolla hits the nail on the head. It's insanity to refuse to see differences simply because some people distort those differences into something offensive. It's absurd the way some people don't (won't?) understand that biology cannot be altered with political rhetoric.
I agree with the overall idea here. In contexts where there is a strongly predominant culture, dismissing differences can emphasize the traits of the dominant culture. It can be another form of cultural suppression. Any set of culture values are deeply ingrained into the conscious and subconscious assumptions. People tend to see their own culture as the "objective" point of reference never realizing just how many culture-specific values they hold and impose onto other groups.

Emphasizing the differences can also reveal prejudice. I guess the underlying problem is that in cultures that are racist and inundated with various forms of prejudice, every individual within that context is affected by it. The overt values of prejudice and dismissal might not be deliberately shared, but its influence has seeped into each mind. It takes years of unabashed self-awareness to uncover all the ways these influences have affected a person.

sleepy

Tharenii Is Mad: The fact that people say "I have friends of different races" itself shows they are racist as they see colour!
Mischa Arielle PeiYi Char and 3 others like this.
Soo Eerong: and when a person feels offended by a remark, it shows he acknowledges his colour and breeds racism
Sathish Kumar: amen i know. i find it wierd
Visakan Veerasamy: if seeing colour is racist, saying "I have both male and female friends" means you're sexist, doesn't it?
Soo Eerong: cos there is no use in acknowleging colour, but don't tell me u don't wanna have sex ?
Soo Eerong: :)
Levina Nicola Kiara Mahendran: Visa if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Cause its irritating and childish.
Visakan Veerasamy: It irritates you when someone appeals to reason?
SERIOUSLY?! I need new friends.

Okay. I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to be both racist and sexist just cause you want to have a special type of sex?

That's egocentric on top.

Not looking good...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My conclusion: Blind people can't be racist! :D

Your friends make the logic part of my brain hurt, they are not alone in their beliefs or anti-logic ways however.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
Okay. I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to be both racist and sexist just cause you want to have a special type of sex?

That's egocentric on top.

Not looking good...

The fallacy the first person made was that talking about someone's skin color was always inherently racist. In reality, it might be and it might not be. Visa was trying to show the mistake by saying that you could quantify male and female friends in the same way and it's interpreted differently. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your post, either.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
My conclusion: Blind people can't be racist! :D

It might be quite hard for a blind person to be a die hard racist. "I would order the Quattro Stagione, oh, by the way, what color are you?"

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It might be quite hard for a blind person to be a die hard racist. "I would order the Quattro Stagione, oh, by the way, what color are you?"

Racism doesn't have to be an act, it can be your views.

But sure, it would be harder to determine just exactly who you hate in any given situation unless they have an accent that is unacceptable.