User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
    The fallacy the first person made was that talking about someone's skin color was always inherently racist. In reality, it might be and it might not be. Visa was trying to show the mistake by saying that you could quantify male and female friends in the same way and it's interpreted differently. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your post, either.
    But it's true on both accounts, isn't it? Ultimately? Why would you make a separation otherwise?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by md5fungi View Post
    Disagree.

"If you don't have any nice to say, don't say it" is a terrible thing for a friend to say.
    I wasn't really referring to the conversation that visaisahero posted.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Ha, try working at a grocery store. It's like a free clinic...
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable View Post
    I wasn't really referring to the conversation that visaisahero posted.
    Not relevant. Most of my disagreement was with the phrase itself, if you reread.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Now that you put it like that, I agree. I think the situation described above made me think the way I did...

EDIT: Or, maybe it's that I don't want to be told to "say something nice"...
    Nothing more horrible than being told to shut up when you are just pointing out the truth, just because it's not nice. I wouldn't have taken that comment kindly either, since I expect to be told the truth/reality even if it's not pleasent. Different value systems. *shrugs*

Is it sad that I just realised that is a facebook status conversation. At least it looks like it... >____>

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    But it's true on both accounts, isn't it? Ultimately? Why would you make a separation otherwise?
    Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Acknowledging the fact that race exists is just pointing out that one is conscious that other people are different. Difference doesn't imply superiority.

Having said that, most people are somewhat racist since it's so hard ingrained in us. The acknowledgement of difference breeds 'in' groups and 'out' groups. It's just keeping awareness that is most important...

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    OP is just referring to the fact that those in question don't know the definition of "racist."

Quote Originally Posted by md5fungi View Post
    Disagree.

"If you don't have any nice to say, don't say it" is a terrible thing for a friend to say. They're basically saying "I know you disagree with me, so shut the fuck up and don't voice your opinion".
    I subscribe to a simple idea when it comes to my friends- I defend them and promote their values and virtues in front of everybody else, but attack their flaws and mistakes individually in private.

So once instance in which a friend could say that in a nice way would be to take the friend aside and say "hey man, I don't mean to interfere or judge but I want to let you know that I thought what you said earlier wasn't very nice and probably offended people... you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, you know?". A good friend would appreciate the input.

But to say that in an open conversation with multiple people present, that's... ugh.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Get some new friends!!
    Oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    That's a very interesting point you've raised.

My perspective is that the separation isn't made, it is acknowledged. It already exists. France did away with racial identification on their IDs, but it doesn't change the fact that racism still exists there (and quite strongly so). It would be nice if we lived in a world where people never bothered to notice or care that other people looked different, but we don't.

I suppose ultimately what I'm trying to say is that ignorance never really solves anything. At best, you could have an uneasy co-existence... which could be undermined by external forces or what-have-you. I think the same applies for parents who don't want to acknowledge that their children are growing up, or anything at all really.