User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I wonder if you're referring to Ti logic. Or Te, Fi, or Fe, or any number of kinds of logic that don't understand why everyone else seems so illogical.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

OP is just referring to the fact that those in question don't know the definition of "racist."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being told that...
    Disagree.

"If you don't have any nice to say, don't say it" is a terrible thing for a friend to say. They're basically saying "I know you disagree with me, so shut the fuck up and don't voice your opinion".

It's even more appalling in this case, because he's the only person being logical in the entire conversation.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by md5fungi View Post
    It's even more appalling in this case, because he's the only person being logical in the entire conversation.
    It's irrelevant who is right. He is of course, but there will be times when it is less obvious. The attitude to the differences of opinion is what matters.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Nolla hits the nail on the head. It's insanity to refuse to see differences simply because some people distort those differences into something offensive. It's absurd the way some people don't (won't?) understand that biology cannot be altered with political rhetoric.
    I agree with the overall idea here. In contexts where there is a strongly predominant culture, dismissing differences can emphasize the traits of the dominant culture. It can be another form of cultural suppression. Any set of culture values are deeply ingrained into the conscious and subconscious assumptions. People tend to see their own culture as the "objective" point of reference never realizing just how many culture-specific values they hold and impose onto other groups.

Emphasizing the differences can also reveal prejudice. I guess the underlying problem is that in cultures that are racist and inundated with various forms of prejudice, every individual within that context is affected by it. The overt values of prejudice and dismissal might not be deliberately shared, but its influence has seeped into each mind. It takes years of unabashed self-awareness to uncover all the ways these influences have affected a person.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Tharenii Is Mad: The fact that people say "I have friends of different races" itself shows they are racist as they see colour!
    Mischa Arielle PeiYi Char and 3 others like this.
    Soo Eerong: and when a person feels offended by a remark, it shows he acknowledges his colour and breeds racism
    Sathish Kumar: amen i know. i find it wierd
    Visakan Veerasamy: if seeing colour is racist, saying "I have both male and female friends" means you're sexist, doesn't it?
    Soo Eerong: cos there is no use in acknowleging colour, but don't tell me u don't wanna have sex ?
    Soo Eerong:
    Levina Nicola Kiara Mahendran: Visa if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Cause its irritating and childish.
    Visakan Veerasamy: It irritates you when someone appeals to reason?
    SERIOUSLY?! I need new friends.
    Okay. I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to be both racist and sexist just cause you want to have a special type of sex?

That's egocentric on top.

Not looking good...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

My conclusion: Blind people can't be racist!

Your friends make the logic part of my brain hurt, they are not alone in their beliefs or anti-logic ways however.

MBTI
    PINT

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Okay. I'm confused. Are you saying it's okay to be both racist and sexist just cause you want to have a special type of sex?

That's egocentric on top.

Not looking good...
    The fallacy the first person made was that talking about someone's skin color was always inherently racist. In reality, it might be and it might not be. Visa was trying to show the mistake by saying that you could quantify male and female friends in the same way and it's interpreted differently. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your post, either.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    My conclusion: Blind people can't be racist!
    It might be quite hard for a blind person to be a die hard racist. "I would order the Quattro Stagione, oh, by the way, what color are you?"

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It might be quite hard for a blind person to be a die hard racist. "I would order the Quattro Stagione, oh, by the way, what color are you?"
    Racism doesn't have to be an act, it can be your views.

But sure, it would be harder to determine just exactly who you hate in any given situation unless they have an accent that is unacceptable.