• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Which type is more similar to ESTPs?

Which NT type is more similar to ESTPs?

• Total voters

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure if this is just going to sully the waters... this is a passage from Culpepper (father of modern medicine, the rebel phasician, his book on herbs is still in print and has never gone out of print - which is totally amazing)

Signs of a Sanguine Man

Sanguine men are of a mean form (average build), their bodies well composed, with larger limbs, and fleshier, but not fat: with great veins and arteries, smooth skins, hot and moist in feeling, the body hairy, and soon bearded: the colour is white, intermixed with redness in the cheeks, their hair for the most part is brown. And touching their conditions, they are merry, liberal, bountiful, courteous, bold enough, merciful, trusty, faithful and of good behaviour; a little thing will cause him to weep, and when that is done no further grief sticketh to their hearts; which is contrary to melancholy men, for they cannot weep, although it be in a matter that concerns them neer, but yet their cogitation thereof is imprinted in their hearts. The sanguine man hath good appetite, and quick digestion; his urine is yellow and thick, his pulse is great and full, and dreameth of red things, and pleasant conceits.
Astro. Judgement of Diseases from the Decumbiture of the Sick, Culpeper

The bold bit doens't sound NT at all... if I can track you don't a version of the plagmatic man you will see they are pretty cold fish... oops

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Choleric, not sanguine ;)

Sanguine is SP.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
doh... I did say I wasn't massively into traditional... I am trying to find you a good description of all 4....

Will see what I can turn up, but

if you are genuinely interested this is the link I picked it up from
Skyscript: Astrological Articles

Don't scoff too much at the astrology, it's only recently parted company from main stream and a lot of old astorlogy and medicine was heavily based on humours...

Medical astrology = decumbrature

Horary = the astrology of questions, which also used humours

Humours were HUGE in their days

PS I bet you wish you hadn't encouraged

PPS I really do have to motor but...

"Culpeper describes the melancholic humour as:

fortifying the … memory; makes men sober, solid, and staid, fit for study; stays the unbridled joys of lustful blood, stays the wandering thoughts, and reduces them home to centre.

A predominance of the melancholic humour is linked with depression and constipation. Depression further slows down heart rate and blood circulation, predisposing the blood to thrombus formation. "

An Introduction to Decumbiture, part 2, by Dylan Warren-Davis

I'll try and dig up a non medical skewed - because humours didn't just decribe men but also their physiology and likely medical history....

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
ESTP - ENTJ / ENTJ - ESTP
By Behavior: ENTJs
By Internal Mindest: ENTPs
ENTJs are far more likely to be mistaken for ESTPs than ENTPs are due to their external behavior, which I'd imagine is influenced by tertiary Se. Internally, however, they have little common. Internally, ENTPs, are more similar to ESTPs in that both lead with a Perceiving function. ENTPs are thus of course far more likely to "take a plan as you go" mindset to life that you would also find by peering into the mind of an ESTP. Non-serious ENTJs will act in an extremely SP manner externally but are preoccupied with plans that ESTPS would never bother with.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Why aren't ESFP or ISTP options?

Or, if we're going by the poll's "NT most similar," why aren't INTJ or INTP options?

VagrantFarce

[youtube=9GaplgqYL_s]lots of swearing[/youtube]

Carrie Keagan (ESxP) interviewing James Cameron (ENTJ). They seem to share a low-brow sense of humour. :laugh:

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
ENTJs are far more likely to be mistaken for ESTPs than ENTPs are due to their external behavior, which I'd imagine is influenced by tertiary Se. Internally, however, they have little common. Internally, ENTPs, are more similar to ESTPs in that both lead with a Perceiving function. ENTPs are thus of course far more likely to "take a plan as you go" mindset to life that you would also find by peering into the mind of an ESTP. Non-serious ENTJs will act in an extremely SP manner externally but are preoccupied with plans that ESTPS would never bother with.

I like this answer, ESTPs definitely SEEM more like ENTJs to me irl but I don't think they actually ARE anything like us.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ENTP is more similar in social behavior
ENTJ is more similar in life outlook/activities

btw I'm ENTJ and very likely sanguine temperament (although not pure sanguine)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

so basically what you are saying is just like NTP in xNTPs negates the E, NTJ in TJ negates the N

i can actually see that, i can see that in everyday life but not to an extent that you would be confusing ENTJs with ESTPs

Pillows

MBTI Type
ESTP
This:

Non-serious ENTJs will act in an extremely SP manner externally but are preoccupied with plans that ESTPS would never bother with.

I get along great with both ENTJs and ENTPs. I attribute this to the shared tendency for brutal logic, shameless humor and lack of hesitation when it comes time to execute a plan. Also entertaining is the skepticism towards authority; makes for some mutinous camaraderie... I enjoy lurking on the NT forums, it is very easy to relate except when it comes to wall-of-text theory rants ;)

However, as mentioned earlier, the J/P divide is massive. My best friend, roommate, and a several close acquaintances share the ENTJ personality type. While I admire their ability to conceptualize big picture solutions and are invaluable for grounding my ping-pong style thought process, in comparison they are way too finite, at times even narrow-minded in their convictions. I respect the hell out of ENTJs, we are very similar in action. But core mindset? Not so much.

I'm currently dating an ENTP. I laugh now because when I first met him several years ago (a time when I knew nothing of MBTI) I remember commenting that he was the male version of me. Big things we have in common: 1. Logic 2. Ability to go with the flow 3. Aversion to anything conventional. The obvious difference is the N-S dynamic, his reflex is to analyze implications, where as mine is take things as they are. From what I've been reading recently, both ESTP and ENTP often utilize E as a means of altering a situation to suit their own benefit...chameleons of sorts (grounds for new thread?). In my humble opinion, we're both pretty damn charming and work it to our respective advantage. :cool:

Just my two centS...

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i can see why ENTJs might look like ESTPs

all ENTJs i know have these rules and small things they do to blend it with the everyday world. since the world LOVES ESTPs, most ENTJ rules end up portraying an ESTP of sorts. so most things ENTJs do end up having the appearance of SP actions even though the motivations between SP and NTJ are completely different.

I even get the salesman vibe from some ENTJs...they do whatever they need to achieve their goal; might it be getting a promotion, fitting in to the social circle, hiding their self diagnosed OCD, tell quick white lies to avoid situations...

do remember this is MOST entjs; out of the 6 that i know, only 2 (both guys) are bold enough to stand out among the crowd and they have very little estp vibe to them

for the overall poll though, id still vote ENTPs
-more number of entps than entjs look like espts
-entps are more like estps...entjs only LOOK like estps