• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Questions to NTPs. When did you realize that...

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
...you're not STJ?

Actually, I kinda doubt if most NTPs have a good idea, at least when they were very young, about the notion of multiple intelligence or cognitive processes, and maybe, during their early years, deep within their psyche, they actually believe that they're actually STJs.

For example, when I was 16, I actually took up Social Science in college (something that NTPs are expected to like), and it actually got me a bit bored. My "out of the box" line of thinking would only manifest in full throttle, when I was in my early 20s. I'm now 28. And that's primarily because I find the STJ life to be gripping me already.

Some people influenced me, e.g., a humanist professor, online forums, etc., and that's when things started to connect (this is sooooo Ti)

I started to contemplate recently on how much NeTi-ness was inherent of me when I was younger, or how much I realized of it or otherwise.

Some basic cues:
1. I hate leadership roles because it gives me unwanted publicity. I'm already an only child; I can't have more attention than what I'm already having. Plus, I already have that weirdo impression. I no longer feel compelled to show off, even if my ESFJ mom wants me to.

2. I don't conform to the stereotypical leader nerd nor the silent math genius nerdy boy either. Though I know I'm smart.

3. I need more relaxation time than actual study time. And I study with the minimum time needed to absorb the maximum amount of info. I don't over-study.

I think most of the NTPs angst stems from

1. ESXJ parent wants the child to be STJ.

2. NTP person blaming himself for discovering NeTi late. And then starts to comtemplate how much of an evolved person he would have been had he realized his NeTi way earlier.

3. Worse, if it's not the MBTI explanation he discovers, it's probably some psychiatric diagnosis that he has Attention Disorder.

Those NTPs who attained a good level of self discovery would probably attain a considerable level of maturity but are probably still disappointed with the fact that they will never be realistically understood by someone else.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was an introverted intuitive thinker from a very young age (at least since the beginning of the memory), but I also did a lot of sports and was quite decent at it, so I wasn't Se oblivious either. But whenever I wasn't actually focused on something, I've always been pretty sensotarded.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uhhh I never really showed many SJ characteristics and I certainly never thought I was anything related to STJs, even after discovering and studying MBTI. As a child I hated everything SJs represented.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The one trait that stood out pretty well in my childhood, and still occasionally shines bright, is my lack of Si.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I agree with the first point. My mother is an ESTJ, and in my younger years would try to mold me into her own image, with insights stemming from her own values. This wasn't always a bad thing. She always stressed the importance of working hard. One of her mottos is "You get out of life what you put in". Which is true, most of the time. There were times she would go overboard, calling my lack immediate action as laziness and including other destructively critical comments. Any angst I had came from the fact I didn't really want to bother my arse, or I wanted to go at my own pace. However, my pace is a lot different to the STJ pace, which wants to plan and get everything done now. I don't hate the "SJ way" or want to rebel against it. What's the point? The world is built around that way of thinking, so you might as well flex around the majority. Bitch about it by all means, but fighting it is pointless.

I don't share any SJ characteristics, though. Too laid-back about the state of my bedroom, or most day to day matters. I guess I like a clean kitchen? But that's common sense.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Uhhh I never really showed many SJ characteristics and I certainly never thought I was anything related to STJs, even after discovering and studying MBTI. As a child I hated everything SJs represented.
this

The one trait that stood out pretty well in my childhood, and still occasionally shines bright, is my lack of Si.
and that *points finger*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
After the first time my soccer team and me went showering together

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Weird, I was just thinking that I was a really ISTJ little kid, and maybe I had mistyped myself. But in about third grade I realized I was both smarter and lazier than the other overachievers in my class.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
when i found out about mbti

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Questions to NTPs. When did you realize that...

...you're not STJ?

There's never been a possibility of this. I've been an intuitive since conception, and SJs of various ages found every opportunity in my young life to notify me that I was peculiar. Thankfully, I eventually realized I'm not.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't know a thing about MBTI when I was younger, but I always knew that I was not like the other kids. This is because they kept telling me I was weird. And they were right. ;)

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I've always realized that I'm different, because both of my parents are SJ... I'm the only child. I've always had a hard time with them. They never understood me. And they still don't. I'm the lazy, unorganized person who lives at least feet above the ground and we just can't live together. They're both so down to earth that they have tried to destroy my NPness as much as they could. :D Our relationship is perfectly fine and it works out when we meet once in a week, but living together is a hell. Especially with my xSFJ father which is a cleaning and do-it-now psycho. Right now i haven't met my parents for a half an year and I must say, I feel as great as I've never felt!! :D Though I must say thanks for the things they've learnt me, fx keeping my promises, taking responsibility, planning my actions (I do planning but i never really stick to the plan :D, but anyway, that helps a lot), be a bit more organized and careful and what's the most important COPE with SJ people. Btw because of this experience, I start to dislike NFP persons. I get irritated by them, because they're usually extremely disorganized too (always late, breaking their promises, never know what they're gonna do tomorrow) and there's no logic or reason in their disorganization. NTP people are just usually lost in thought, I see being lost in emotions worse :D.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I still think it's a mistake longterm to think that one is different. I am rather inclined to assume, everyone is different.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Good question.

Probably around 13 when school started getting complicated for everyone else and it became clear that my intelligence had absolutely nothing to do with a good memory and everything to do with my logic backed intuition.

Strangely when I was a kid I was afraid to break rules or go to far. I think it was because I always broke the rules accidentily and got in shit but a lot of the time didn't realise why. My parents sorta made me paranoid that everything I would do would break another rule and get me grounded or smacked again. Thats why I thought I might be STJ (though i couldn't have called it that as I didn't know about it back then).

Then I learnt to fuck the rules and lifes been alright since.

VagrantFarce

My dad is an ISTJ and some of that rubbed off on me. :) In hindsight it made me a little maladjusted, to be honest.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I believe I made a thread about it, actually.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...you're not STJ?

Never thought I was.
(And I never learned about MBTI until age 26.)

however, I realize -- esp raised by SJs and in the religious community I was in -- I had been trained to think my ideas were only valid if they fit STJ criteria.

I was forced into a very empirical minded, apologetic-style interaction with people. I was not allowed to refer to N. It all had to be observable, all had to be explicable, and all had to produce concrete results on a timeframe or it was judged inferior.

Took me years to get over that and learn to trust my own vision.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I new very young I was pretty different from the other kids in my class. I was more in my head, more imagative, better at knoweldge stuff, that type of thing, but I was dyslexic to so it was like full on - you are different.

I beleive I had an NF/T boy in my class and we use to intellectually spar in class, it was me against him... and the rest of the class seemed a bit slow on the hoof to be honest. I always thought that when I got extra time in exams because of my dyslexia (which I never took unless my dyslexia was actually in the way), I use to feel sorry for the stupid kids :D

Last edited:

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Pretty early on. I was very much "NFP" as a child- but the same applies: I had no regard for the SJ mentality. I absolutely could not (and still cannot) stand the way my dad tells me to do things; he praises the "consistent, repetitive" way of getting things done.

I remember failing the ISTEP (Indiana's standardized test) in 8th grade because of an essay I made a mockery of. Hell, I should have been passed because it 1. had college level grammar and 2. commented on the sheer stupidity of the topic I was to write about. The topic was something like, "If you have to move and there is very little room in your vehicle, only letting you bring one important thing, what would you take?" I wrote about a man named Bob who was obese and took his expensive refrigerator. I still enjoy this sense of humor I had. :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
dude... I'm the ANTI-J!

even as a kid :yes: