User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I stand by my original belief that the OP wanted a division on the basis of Functional probability as a determinant for rational pattern creation.

That said, the Ti is the well-sharpened choice.
    Well, of course it is. Your definition was burdened with the term "rational," which pre-selects for Ti at the outset. It's a tautology.

A solid consensus on the meanings of "objectivity" and "subjectivity" are in order, I think, if we're to get any further.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    A solid consensus on the meanings of "objectivity" and "subjectivity" are in order, I think, if we're to get any further.
    Good call. Are we talking about objectivity here, or rationalism? Is anyone equating the two? (cos I don't)
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Well, of course it is. Your definition was burdened with the term "rational," which pre-selects for Ti at the outset. It's a tautology.
    In terms of tautology, I'm afraid you may have slipped on the interchangeability of "rational" as an MBTI delineation against a (common) synonym for logical.

To be quite honest, I'd be curious to hear how my use of "rational" contextually changed the direction of my point?

Agreed.

On a fun side-note, Midsummer is a great play.

MBTI
    ENTP

Aha, so now we have three terms: rational, logical and objective. They seem to have been equated by some, whilst others are drawing distinctions. Can we agree on what these words mean, how they're different and if/where they overlap?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Aha, so now we have three terms: rational, logical and objective. They seem to have been equated by some, whilst others are drawing distinctions. Can we agree on what these words mean, how they're different and if/where they overlap?
    Thank you, substitute.

MBTI
    ENTP

Haha, so it took only us 55 posts to begin to create a proper framework for the discussion to be constructive. Yay for us!

(now this is ENTP style debate - the first hour is just everyone throwing their thoughts onto the table, the next hour is sifting through which ones are relevant and finding pertinent questions to ask, and only by the third hour does it begin to actually emerge with theories and conclusions... if the ENTP's haven't got bored/distracted by something else by then and started talking about Star Wars or something...)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here's my take:

Logical -- To form a philosophy/argument that consists of/with, and is constrained by the nature of logic. Meaning it must not contradict itself, and follow a consistent set of rules that are applied uniformly.

Objective -- To look at/see something as it actually is, without bias or interpretation. Note that this is technically impossible, because reality for people is filtered first through their limited senses, their mental system for representing that information, and often even through their memories and experience before it becomes conscious. The question is what is closest to this, because nothing actually is such.

Rational -- To base one's decisions on what would be considered by most people to be acceptable criteria for a long-term decision, especially one that affects/involves more than one person. A society or business might be good example.

MBTI
    ENTP

You know I love your lists Athenian

I agree with logical, and kinda with the others too, but maybe I'd say about objectivity that since I agree with how you say it's technically not possible in its purest form, then the closest equivalent we can get to it, or what the NT tends to usually have as an ideal for it, is to look at things and judge them without any deliberate or conscious personal bias (excepting obviously those things we can't help such as sensory perceptions - if we see something as blue because our eyes work that way, then even if it's not truly blue, if it's a 'fact' that everyone concerned can agree on then we can regard it as objective for this purpose). I suppose it's a form of non-prejudice, not letting what we previously think or feel about something to influence our current considerations of it.

I might say that 'rational' is seen by NT's generally as being a method of decision making that utilizes objective logic, as much as possible, as an ideal.

edit - but the OP'er needs to clarify whether we're talking about NT ideals here, or actual objective facts. Cos the kind of rationalism I just described is, I think, an NT ideal and one that's not shared by everyone. I can see why Proteanmix got cross about equating Thinking with Objectivity, but I think in a way what the OP is addressing and wanting to discuss is a sorta 'internal affair', in as much as NF's might debate what's 'good' or moral or whatever - there can be two ways of doing it, depending what you're hoping to achieve by it. Would they prefer non-idealists to come in and question the assumptions their ideals are built on every time? Or is it like some religious debates, where you just want to talk about the internal logic/rightness of something, not currently interested in how it relates to the external bigger picture?

Not sure if I put that right - I'm in a hurry again, maybe someone else could rephrase it better for me!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

You know I love your lists Athenian

I agree with logical, and kinda with the others too, but maybe I'd say about objectivity that since I agree with how you say it's technically not possible in its purest form, then the closest equivalent we can get to it, or what the NT tends to usually have as an ideal for it, is to look at things and judge them without any deliberate or conscious personal bias (excepting obviously those things we can't help such as sensory perceptions - if we see something as blue because our eyes work that way, then even if it's not truly blue, if it's a 'fact' that everyone concerned can agree on then we can regard it as objective for this purpose). I suppose it's a form of non-prejudice, not letting what we previously think or feel about something to influence our current considerations of it.

I might say that 'rational' is seen by NT's generally as being a method of decision making that utilizes objective logic, as much as possible, as an ideal.
    Would you say that a "rational" statement is one comprised of many "objective" fibers?

If so, the difference appears to be an issue of constituency - "rational" seems an application reserved to describe a system of thought, whereas "objective" seems the basic elemental spices that cooperate within a "rational" process.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nifty -- it only took 39 posts for a non ENTP/INTP/INTJ to enter the lion's den.

*applause*
    What's Night, then - chopped liver?!

(I must say, if my ESFJ mother conversed like this, we'd get on a hell of a lot better...)