User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it'd depend on what we were being asked to be objective about.

Yes, if it's events I'm caught up in, I do find it hard to step back sometimes - but only because I temporarily forget that I can. As soon as I remember, I step right back outta the orchestra and take the conductor's stand, where I'm most comfortable.

But if it's an intellectual issue, hypothetical or basically something I'm not personally involved in, I'm just as objective as an INTP. In fact, I think possibly more so (thinking about an INTP I know here...), because to the INTP, his intellectual powers are very dear and precious, he kinda thrives on being clever and knowing everything, so if you start to question him, he gets a bit antsy and you can see his perspective has shifted from debating the issue, to defending his views.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think the fundamental constant of the INTP - the Ti function - outshoots any anecdotal evidence. From an objective base, the Ti is central negotiator.

Ultimately, it becomes a question of probability – which introverted function allows for the greatest opportunity for sequential, rationally-cobbled thought.

If we remain neutral in our focus, Ti > Xy.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

Yes, if it's events I'm caught up in, I do find it hard to step back sometimes - but only because I temporarily forget that I can. As soon as I remember, I step right back outta the orchestra and take the conductor's stand, where I'm most comfortable.

But if it's an intellectual issue, hypothetical or basically something I'm not personally involved in, I'm just as objective as an INTP. In fact, I think possibly more so (thinking about an INTP I know here...), because to the INTP, his intellectual powers are very dear and precious, he kinda thrives on being clever and knowing everything, so if you start to question him, he gets a bit antsy and you can see his perspective has shifted from debating the issue, to defending his views.

Objectivity is a property of Thinking.

When the INTP gets uncomfortable he crawls into Ti more. This actually makes him think more clearly than when he is in his loosened Ne interplay mode. Far from detracting from INTP's objectivity, the INTP becomes more objective because he then moves in closer affinity with his Thinking faculty.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTP

Right, night - but I'm not sure whether the OP was asking what is the most objective function, theoretically, or which type behaves in the most objective way, either/both in theory or/and practice.

And BlueWing - INTP has the ability to behave as you describe, probably more so than ENTP - the potential I mean, I agree. However, when social anxiety kicks in for the introvert, I think it levels the playing field a bit, as INTP fails to live up to his/her potential quite often in such situations.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Right, night - but I'm not sure whether the OP was asking what is the most objective function, theoretically, or which type behaves in the most objective way, either/both in theory or/and practice.
    I suppose it is open to interpretation.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yes, I understand that that is how it's supposed to work, and I also agree that the INTJ is less objective, which I believe is the case because it's a J.
    The inner workings of the system itself I question.
    why shouldn't an INTJ be an inTj, and why shouldn't an INTP be an iNtp?

We agree that the INTJ would "lose" but for different reasons.
    I think it's more subjective because it's more focused on Judging than Perceiving, as the name would imply...

I haven't had that sort of experience with INTPs.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

When we talk about types, we talk about our unconscious tendencies. Not human behavior. As the former is the very definition of 'type'.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

INTPs tend not to be interested in saving face, mostly in discovering what is true. Debating is means to that end.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was wondering which was most objective in practice.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Aw c'mon, it's all over INTPc - just about every other thread is littered with examples of it...

It's what I meant about the theory and practice - INTP's often don't live up to their potential in many of these situations. A perfectly healthy one who had reached their highest potential would, yes, but I don't think you get many of those around...