• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Which type are the best cards players...

Maha Raj

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am an ENTP. But I loose. May be, I am not a smart ENTP or the one who cheats...

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Playing poker with money, I have lost once in the past 5 times I have played.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it would depend some on the game. A game like poker demands nerves of steel, in contrast to many other card games. My dad just won the world team championship in bridge (by far most prestigious), and he is an ENTJ. I would guess NTs on average would be best, but that’s hugely due to the high average intelligence of these types. I think the T/F dichotomy would be most important though. This might be supported by the fact there are fewer good female players. I doubt I/E is very relevant, but introverts might score a few points for intelligence. J/P might be relevant to the game. Ps might do better in poker, a gambling game, than in skill games like bridge. The higher level of uncertainty in the game, perhaps the better Ps would do it? I would guess ENTPs would be very good at poker, on average anyway. They are known to an emotionally stable type, they can take risk, so they would play aggressive. The problem I see, is that they would probably be prone not to play tight enough.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The two important skills that you can bring to poker are 1) good with probability and 2) good with reading people. So you want someone whose primary function is perception and is also good with math. An ExxP or an IxxJ with math skills.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The two important skills that you can bring to poker are 1) good with probability and 2) good with reading people. So you want someone whose primary function is perception and is also good with math. An ExxP or an IxxJ with math skills.

But you also want to play tight-aggressive. I bet you can see large differences between types here ... SJ types would probably tend to not be aggressive enough, for example ... Actually I would guess NTJs would be best at playing tight-aggressive. Speaking in average terms, of course. When it comes to the skill of reading people, what you need is rather the skill to read cards, which might differ somewhat.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't believe that ENTP will top every second skill or ability mentioned on this forum. I've seen ENTP mentioned too often to believe in all that. Best card player? I'll analyze different kind of card games a bit.

I am sorry that I can't provide you with the names of the games in english; I only know them in finnish.

-some card games benefit greatly from memorizing the cards seen and keeping track of all the player's hands, cards played and cards that are probably still in the deck. An N and S may have the same ability, but an S will do this more likely.

-card games involving multiple participants and unclear structure and order probably favor those with good Ne. A person with well-functioning Ne, paired with Ti, can more easily see how the cards played alter the future of the game. edit: probably Ni, Te works with trying to influence the other person more, and seeing the other opportunities a bit less.

-card games involving many participants sometimes encourage people to form temporary alliences that change as the game progresses. Someone with strong Se might notice co-operative play earlier. Someone with strong N,F might more easily see how all the alliences are formed.

-bluffing style:
STP lively style, when bluffing or not. "go for it, hope for the best."
SFP "I'm an innocent rookie."
STJ planning style, seeing the possibility and working towards it with a poker face.
NTJ pathological liar style. Will make you believe them and tell you they lied. Repeatedly.
NTP alters their image often, making it doubt what is the real thing. Much like STP.

other, insufficient data.

-calculation of probabilities: NT
-games involving no or almost no interaction, or interaction with rigid rules: I

Who will most probably try to argue about the result of the game: ESTP
Most likely to peek other person's cards successfully without being noticed: ESTP
Most likely to ask special priviledges in the game, i.e. being forgiven errors they have made: SFP
Inventing new rules "on the go" as the game progresses: STP

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
-some card games benefit greatly from memorizing the cards seen and keeping track of all the player's hands, cards played and cards that are probably still in the deck. An N and S may have the same ability, but an S will do this more likely.

I see that more as an analytical and concentration skill than an S or Si skill. People with genius level intelligence tend to have crazy memories, does that mean they are sensors or SJs? If you are really good at something, enhanced memory for that thing comes automatically. It often has to do with pattern recognition, like in chess, which is how they are able to play blindfold chess at such a stunning level (they don't visualise the whole board). Do sensors or intuitives have the best memories? Probably intuitives, because their average IQ is quite a lot higher.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've found it depends on who you play with.

NFs are at a disadvantage to NTs
NTs are at a disadvantage to SPs
SPs are at a disadvantage to SJs
SJs are at a disadvantage to NFs

Or at least that is the connections I made at the Texas Hold'em table.

NFs feel things out and tend to be passive/aggressive players
NTs play with the odds and things they pick up from the other players
SPs are the best bluffers and risk takers
SJs tend to be the most aggressive players, trying to force their opponents out of hands

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've found it depends on who you play with.

NFs are at a disadvantage to NTs
NTs are at a disadvantage to SPs
SPs are at a disadvantage to SJs
SJs are at a disadvantage to NFs

Or at least that is the connections I made at the Texas Hold'em table.

NFs feel things out and tend to be passive/aggressive players
NTs play with the odds and things they pick up from the other players
SPs are the best bluffers and risk takers
SJs tend to be the most aggressive players, trying to force their opponents out of hands

In my experience SPs are most aggressive, often loose-aggressive - while SJs tend to be tight-passive (playing "safe") or even worse, loose-passive.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
In my experience SPs are most aggressive, often loose-aggressive - while SJs tend to be tight-passive (playing "safe") or even worse, loose-passive.

I could concur with that. I was assuming since I haven't found many SJ types who will play an illegal game of poker. But I still think there is an order to it.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
But you also want to play tight-aggressive. I bet you can see large differences between types here ... SJ types would probably tend to not be aggressive enough, for example ... Actually I would guess NTJs would be best at playing tight-aggressive. Speaking in average terms, of course. When it comes to the skill of reading people, what you need is rather the skill to read cards, which might differ somewhat.

That is an easy skill to learn for anyone who wants to. I'm as tight a player as you are going to meet, and I actually play too agressively. I tend to want to go all in for every hand I play and even though that works in my favor 80% of the time, the other 20% bad luck gets me and I'm out. I actually need to play a little less aggressively (not always go all in).

Really though I think there are a lot of different types that can play poker well. My INFJ wife really cleans up at the poker table.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
me! me! me! I'm good at cards! I've still never met anyone who can beat me at poker, blackjack or pretty much any game I know :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I get beaten at Bridge quite often by my ISTJ friend. He also beats me at word games like Scrabble and Anagram, about 60% of the time. Largely I think though, because my attention span gives out before his, so I'm not so much losing through lack of skill, but lack of concentration. Unless you regard the concetration as part of the skill of playing the game, in which case, he's just better than me! lol

ygolo

My termites win
I think anyone who thinks they can calculate/estimate odds on the fly without a system in place (NT or otherwise) is just fooling himself/herself.

I haven't played often (5 times total) and haven't worked out the odds in various situations, but I have done well every time I have played. Playing tight when you have nothing, and limping into bets when you have something seems to win well.

At Reno, my sister and I played in the poker room, and didn't mind giving money away to each other, and won big. My sister (ENFP) made a killing, and I did pretty well. We almost bankrolled the whole trip with those winnings.