User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Which type are the best cards players...

I am an ENTP. But I loose. May be, I am not a smart ENTP or the one who cheats...
    "Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Playing poker with money, I have lost once in the past 5 times I have played.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd say probably IxTP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think xSTP.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it would depend some on the game. A game like poker demands nerves of steel, in contrast to many other card games. My dad just won the world team championship in bridge (by far most prestigious), and he is an ENTJ. I would guess NTs on average would be best, but that’s hugely due to the high average intelligence of these types. I think the T/F dichotomy would be most important though. This might be supported by the fact there are fewer good female players. I doubt I/E is very relevant, but introverts might score a few points for intelligence. J/P might be relevant to the game. Ps might do better in poker, a gambling game, than in skill games like bridge. The higher level of uncertainty in the game, perhaps the better Ps would do it? I would guess ENTPs would be very good at poker, on average anyway. They are known to an emotionally stable type, they can take risk, so they would play aggressive. The problem I see, is that they would probably be prone not to play tight enough.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The two important skills that you can bring to poker are 1) good with probability and 2) good with reading people. So you want someone whose primary function is perception and is also good with math. An ExxP or an IxxJ with math skills.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The two important skills that you can bring to poker are 1) good with probability and 2) good with reading people. So you want someone whose primary function is perception and is also good with math. An ExxP or an IxxJ with math skills.
    But you also want to play tight-aggressive. I bet you can see large differences between types here ... SJ types would probably tend to not be aggressive enough, for example ... Actually I would guess NTJs would be best at playing tight-aggressive. Speaking in average terms, of course. When it comes to the skill of reading people, what you need is rather the skill to read cards, which might differ somewhat.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't believe that ENTP will top every second skill or ability mentioned on this forum. I've seen ENTP mentioned too often to believe in all that. Best card player? I'll analyze different kind of card games a bit.

I am sorry that I can't provide you with the names of the games in english; I only know them in finnish.

-some card games benefit greatly from memorizing the cards seen and keeping track of all the player's hands, cards played and cards that are probably still in the deck. An N and S may have the same ability, but an S will do this more likely.

-card games involving multiple participants and unclear structure and order probably favor those with good Ne. A person with well-functioning Ne, paired with Ti, can more easily see how the cards played alter the future of the game. edit: probably Ni, Te works with trying to influence the other person more, and seeing the other opportunities a bit less.

-card games involving many participants sometimes encourage people to form temporary alliences that change as the game progresses. Someone with strong Se might notice co-operative play earlier. Someone with strong N,F might more easily see how all the alliences are formed.

-bluffing style:
    STP lively style, when bluffing or not. "go for it, hope for the best."
    SFP "I'm an innocent rookie."
    STJ planning style, seeing the possibility and working towards it with a poker face.
    NTJ pathological liar style. Will make you believe them and tell you they lied. Repeatedly.
    NTP alters their image often, making it doubt what is the real thing. Much like STP.

other, insufficient data.

-calculation of probabilities: NT
    -games involving no or almost no interaction, or interaction with rigid rules: I

Who will most probably try to argue about the result of the game: ESTP
    Most likely to peek other person's cards successfully without being noticed: ESTP
    Most likely to ask special priviledges in the game, i.e. being forgiven errors they have made: SFP
    Inventing new rules "on the go" as the game progresses: STP

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    -some card games benefit greatly from memorizing the cards seen and keeping track of all the player's hands, cards played and cards that are probably still in the deck. An N and S may have the same ability, but an S will do this more likely.
    I see that more as an analytical and concentration skill than an S or Si skill. People with genius level intelligence tend to have crazy memories, does that mean they are sensors or SJs? If you are really good at something, enhanced memory for that thing comes automatically. It often has to do with pattern recognition, like in chess, which is how they are able to play blindfold chess at such a stunning level (they don't visualise the whole board). Do sensors or intuitives have the best memories? Probably intuitives, because their average IQ is quite a lot higher.

MBTI
    OMNi

I've found it depends on who you play with.

NFs are at a disadvantage to NTs
    NTs are at a disadvantage to SPs
    SPs are at a disadvantage to SJs
    SJs are at a disadvantage to NFs

Or at least that is the connections I made at the Texas Hold'em table.

NFs feel things out and tend to be passive/aggressive players
    NTs play with the odds and things they pick up from the other players
    SPs are the best bluffers and risk takers
    SJs tend to be the most aggressive players, trying to force their opponents out of hands