User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    I am an ENTP. But I loose. May be, I am not a smart ENTP or the one who cheats...
    INTPs.

I disapprove of your username.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm gonna have to go with the xxTPs Those xxTJs can keep a straight face but the TPs have the ability to stay a step ahead or if they're not they're ready to recoup and re-manipulate the odds in their favor.

I usually pull the "I'm goofy and new to this game" routine. Then the rest of the game all I have is a silly grin to piss off people.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I think anyone who thinks they can calculate/estimate odds on the fly without a system in place (NT or otherwise) is just fooling himself/herself.
    Perhaps I am merely fooling myself, but I think having a working knowledge of probability is a significant advantage in poker. For example if I have two hearts and the flop shows 2 hearts and a club, then I know to get a flush on one draw I have a 9/47 probability, which is approximately 20%. If there are two draws remaining then I know my chance of a flush is approximately 40%. I know the true odds are actually a bit less than that, but it gives me a good idea of what kind of odds I'm up against if I'm betting on a flush.

Also knowledge of probability can help a lot in developing principals as you learn to play. For example, even though a flush beats a straight, the chance of getting a flush on a flush draw is higher than the change of making a straight on a straight draw (even more so on an inside straight draw). Thinking about these sorts of things beforehand can help you work out good principals for play.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

I can see the ability of an INTP to get inside other people's heads a great advantage in poker.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

WHee, just won my second game of Texas hold'em I've ever played, with 6 people playing Fun game.. I just bluffed almost all the time.. I mixed all the signals so much, but kept poker face all the time.. I just follow whatever I expected all the players to think and bluffed in what I consider the most effective time for it. I figured it out in the first game that I shouldn't play most of the rounds..

I just folded whenever the stakes got too high for my bluff.. and I didn't reveal my hand very often, so that no-one was able to find out the high level of bluffing I used. I also inserted some "signs" of supposed bluffing one or two times, to "teach" them how to spot my bluffing. Seems like they took the bait!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    WHee, just won my second game of Texas hold'em I've ever played, with 6 people playing Fun game.. I just bluffed almost all the time.. I mixed all the signals so much, but kept poker face all the time.. I just follow whatever I expected all the players to think and bluffed in what I consider the most effective time for it. I figured it out in the first game that I shouldn't play most of the rounds..

I just folded whenever the stakes got too high for my bluff.. and I didn't reveal my hand very often, so that no-one was able to find out the high level of bluffing I used. I also inserted some "signs" of supposed bluffing one or two times, to "teach" them how to spot my bluffing. Seems like they took the bait!
    Haha, brilliant, you sound like a natural.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i play texas holdem regularly with a group of friends. I ALWAYS lose. I usually come in 4th place out of 12, which isn't bad, but i never win. My best friend (INTP) wins regularly and my other good friend (ENFJ) has won more games than anyone in the past 2 years, so i don't really know which types are better at the damn game. I just know that i can't win.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    yupp

I'm probably the least competive person I know, so when I play cards I usually lose. Though I'm awesome at speed and can beat my mom at gin and somehow I manage to beat people at checkers despite not caring enough to really think out my moves. I suck at chess for that reason I do best with games that use reflexes and instincts oppose to strategy and logic. Also if I lose I don't care that much of course my brother has to win at everything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    I am an ENTP. But I loose. May be, I am not a smart ENTP or the one who cheats...
    The good player knows when to quit.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The good player knows when to quit.
    which would make me a HORRIBLE cards player! I tend to rely on luck, lying, reading other players mannerisms and stubbornness to win! all in all though, I win more than lose
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett