User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I've found it depends on who you play with.

NFs are at a disadvantage to NTs
    NTs are at a disadvantage to SPs
    SPs are at a disadvantage to SJs
    SJs are at a disadvantage to NFs

Or at least that is the connections I made at the Texas Hold'em table.

NFs feel things out and tend to be passive/aggressive players
    NTs play with the odds and things they pick up from the other players
    SPs are the best bluffers and risk takers
    SJs tend to be the most aggressive players, trying to force their opponents out of hands
    In my experience SPs are most aggressive, often loose-aggressive - while SJs tend to be tight-passive (playing "safe") or even worse, loose-passive.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    In my experience SPs are most aggressive, often loose-aggressive - while SJs tend to be tight-passive (playing "safe") or even worse, loose-passive.
    I could concur with that. I was assuming since I haven't found many SJ types who will play an illegal game of poker. But I still think there is an order to it.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

But you also want to play tight-aggressive. I bet you can see large differences between types here ... SJ types would probably tend to not be aggressive enough, for example ... Actually I would guess NTJs would be best at playing tight-aggressive. Speaking in average terms, of course. When it comes to the skill of reading people, what you need is rather the skill to read cards, which might differ somewhat.
    That is an easy skill to learn for anyone who wants to. I'm as tight a player as you are going to meet, and I actually play too agressively. I tend to want to go all in for every hand I play and even though that works in my favor 80% of the time, the other 20% bad luck gets me and I'm out. I actually need to play a little less aggressively (not always go all in).

Really though I think there are a lot of different types that can play poker well. My INFJ wife really cleans up at the poker table.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

me! me! me! I'm good at cards! I've still never met anyone who can beat me at poker, blackjack or pretty much any game I know
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

I personally think INTJs and ENTPs. Though I think any type who spends time learning, can beat any other type who hasn't put in their time.

Best poker players? - INTP Central

MBTI
    ENTP

I get beaten at Bridge quite often by my ISTJ friend. He also beats me at word games like Scrabble and Anagram, about 60% of the time. Largely I think though, because my attention span gives out before his, so I'm not so much losing through lack of skill, but lack of concentration. Unless you regard the concetration as part of the skill of playing the game, in which case, he's just better than me! lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think xSTP.
    Both of the STPs in my life are good at cards.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    That is an easy skill to learn for anyone who wants to.
    Yes, but it helps having a patient nature ...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yes, but it helps having a patient nature ...
    I don't think patience is type related. Although the sort of situations where a person can become impatient can vary by type.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

I think anyone who thinks they can calculate/estimate odds on the fly without a system in place (NT or otherwise) is just fooling himself/herself.

I haven't played often (5 times total) and haven't worked out the odds in various situations, but I have done well every time I have played. Playing tight when you have nothing, and limping into bets when you have something seems to win well.

At Reno, my sister and I played in the poker room, and didn't mind giving money away to each other, and won big. My sister (ENFP) made a killing, and I did pretty well. We almost bankrolled the whole trip with those winnings.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield