• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Dear INTP,

Why are you angry?

I have no idea, I just have angry days (which are usually my I-couldn't-be-arsed-dealing-with-people (tm) days). My mother attributes it to a lack of iron in my diet :rolli:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dear INTP,

Why are you angry?

I'm not. I'm quite content. I don't think INTP's smile very often and we're not always "engaging" when we see people, so they assume that we're angry or otherwise not happy.

It seems a difficult task to hold a funny, smily, conversation with every person that I encounter throughout a given day. There's only 24 hours. And since I keep things short and to the point with people, they sometimes might see me as arrogant, unapproachable, or angry.

Memphis

I have no idea, I just have angry days (which are usually my I-couldn't-be-arsed-dealing-with-people (tm) days). My mother attributes it to a lack of iron in my diet :rolli:

Oh, you mean Fe? ;)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I was angry when I was younger. 15-18 or so. Now I'm just apathetic. I don't really know why, I didn't really have a reason to be.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
I was expecting a more explanatory answer. You said "Maybe it's an INTP thing" - I was curious.

I do think it's related to being INTP. But it's also personal, it involves no-one but myself, which is none of your business. :)

And my inability/unwillingness to explain things, is an introvert thing, I think. And INTP immaturity.:yes:

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not. I'm quite content. I don't think INTP's smile very often and we're not always "engaging" when we see people, so they assume that we're angry or otherwise not happy.

It seems a difficult task to hold a funny, smily, conversation with every person that I encounter throughout a given day. There's only 24 hours. And since I keep things short and to the point with people, they sometimes might see me as arrogant, unapproachable, or angry.

This. I'm surprised how many people think I'm angry/annoyed/looking down on them just because of my lack of overt emotions.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, you mean Fe? ;)

But angry is when my Fe is strongest, so a lack of Fe(iron) attributing to an overload of Fe(emotions I can't reign in with Ti) is making my head hurt :huh: You made me laugh with that though :smile:

sleepy

No. Dated one and I had a very hard time relating to a lot of ISFP "things". We were very far apart in a lot of ways.
Maybe you aren't understanding the 'things'? that's a natural reaction to have then. Was the feeling mutual?

Actually, sometimes I feel like an ISTP.
Maybe an ISFP after spending considerable amounts of time with my mother.

What the bloody fuck, I never meant to submit this.
Will come back and expand upon this later.
Why not? That's great. I believe it's a strength to have windows to different realities you can look through. Maybe even jump out and play in them.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why are INTP's so absent minded that most people think they've got some form of mental retardation?

The answer lies in our not-so-absent minds.
In our minds, in general, lives a world that is roughly based on the external one, but transformed with Ne and organized by Ti to actually make sense (at least to us).

And this makes our minds a very awesome place to live ;)

Dear INTP,

Why are you angry?

I am not angry.

Pretty much, I only have two emotions: pleased and frustrated.
(The degrees of these range from somewhat content to explosions)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe you aren't understanding the 'things'? that's a natural reaction to have then. Was the feeling mutual?

The question you originally asked was "do you ever feel like an ISFP?" And the answer is definitely no. I don't ever feel like them.

As for these new questions you present:
Yes, I had a hard time understanding some of the "things". I think INTP's are pretty good at trying to put ourselves in others shoes and imagine how they might be experiencing things. But, some things you still can't really understand unless you are the other person. I love to be affectionate. But, I can't cuddle for 8 hours every single day. I'm not criticizing, I'm just giving one example of something I could not understand about the ISFP I dated.

And the feeling was mutual in some respects. She said that she couldn't understand how brutally honest I was. She said she respected it in me greatly and wanted to be more like that herself and she also had a hard time understanding how totally open I am in discussions about how I feel about another person, etc.

So, yeah, there were things about her that I didn't understand and things about me that she didn't understand. We tried.

BTW, do you ever feel like an INTP?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes. I can relate so much to that "INTP guy" you've drawn. It's scary! I know that's a way of living I can get into when I don't get my dose of interaction... and I won't be happy with it. I would get less and less productive, more isolated and more and more frustrated with myself.

Unique

The answer lies in our not-so-absent minds.
In our minds, in general, lives a world that is roughly based on the external one, but transformed with Ne and organized by Ti to actually make sense (at least to us).

And this makes our minds a very awesome place to live ;)

I am not angry.

Pretty much, I only have two emotions: pleased and frustrated.
(The degrees of these range from somewhat content to explosions)

lol, I like that explination. No-body seems to understand though.

What? You're frustrated? Like as in a headache? >.<

sleepy

The question you originally asked was "do you ever feel like an ISFP?" And the answer is definitely no. I don't ever feel like them.
If you do know how they feel, it seems to me that you have felt so. How could you know otherwise?
Sure, if there is a difficult technical abstract problem, I suppose I do. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. Do you agree?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you do know how they feel, it seems to me that you have felt so. How could you know otherwise?

My ex (ISFP) explained to me (many times) how she felt and what it was like to be ISFP. And since I want to try and understand the people I care about and be compassionate towards them, I try to understand what it is like to be them. But, I still don't feel that way myself. There are many examples of this, but I will continue to use the example I mentioned earlier in the thread about cuddling. She explained that it really makes her day and makes her happy inside when the person she cares about is affectionate with her. She just gets happy - almost giddy. I understand that because she explained it well. But, I still don't feel that way myself. I don't have an innate desire to cuddle all day.

Because of her, I understand ISFP's much better and I'm a more well-rounded person for it, I'm sure. But, I still don't have the desires and feelings that she does.

Make sense now or are we still on different pages?

Sure, if there is a difficult technical abstract problem, I suppose I do. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. Do you agree?

I absolutely 100% agree that we need to step out of our comfort zones at times. However, I don't think that really has much to do with "feeling like another type". I think these two things are very different things. Again, I stepped out of my comfort zone to try and understand my ISFP. That's a good thing. But, I still am who I am. I doubt that I will ever TRULY see things with her eyes. And I will never actually be an ISFP. I can strive to understand them and probably make great progress. I can understand the fact that she wants to cuddle all day. I get it. She likes it and it makes her feel good. That doesn't mean that I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and feel like doing the same thing. There's definitely a difference.

Great questions, by the way. :cheese:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh and, FWIW, I did cuddle with her. I'm not saying that I never gave her what she wanted, because I certainly did. That was part of my trying to see things from her point of view - trying to understand her and make her happy. And loving someone is being giving of yourself.

I still don't FEEL like an ISFP though. Just want to make that distinction.

P.S. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm very affectionate. I'm just not wanting to cuddle 24/7. She was the first g/f of mine that "out-affectioned" me.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh and, FWIW, I did cuddle with her. I'm not saying that I never gave her what she wanted, because I certainly did. That was part of my trying to see things from her point of view - trying to understand her and make her happy. And loving someone is being giving of yourself.

I still don't FEEL like an ISFP though. Just want to make that distinction.

P.S. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm very affectionate. I'm just not wanting to cuddle 24/7. She was the first g/f of mine that "out-affectioned" me.

This is very much like Michael Jordan thinking to himself, "Hey, I think I'll play for the Wales basketball team". Why would you want to leave the inextricable awesomeness of being an INTP for the inferior team? *puzzled expression*. Look, hey, here's a cupcake. It'll make you feel better? I put lots of feeling and love into making it for you, seriously. Please have some.