• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do any of you think a mix of klezmer and hip hop would be a marketable genre of music?

Close Enough?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxuSiC4wNw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxuSiC4wNw[/YOUTUBE]

More almost, but not quite:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKe996ZEhI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKe996ZEhI[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe not marketable, but I'd like it.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
what are things in the work place that really piss you off?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
what are things in the work place that really piss you off?

-politics: having to B.S. with people to get something done (why can't I just get it done because it's your job? why do I have to act nice for 5 minutes and then ask if I can get something done). In an ideal INTP world, if you needed the computer guy to fix your computer, you would call him up and say, "Yo. My computer's acting up and I can't get any work done. Think you could be here in the next 10 minutes? No, you're busy for the next hour? OK, that's cool. See you in an hour!" In an ideal world, nothing else would be necessary. Just fix it cuz that's what you're paid to do. There doesn't need to be "other reasons" for you to fix my computer or other things we need to talk about. This doesn't mean there shouldn't be talking in the work place - I mean, there's a time and place for everything (even INTP's like to talk...sometimes), but there just always seems to be this artificial layer that you have to "get through" before you can ask someone to perform a task. Also included in this category is the "good ol' boys network". I don't give 2 turds about being part of the "good guy club", and if you're not part of that club, you're sometimes seen as an outsider and you have to work extra hard to penetrate that barrier and get big things done. I think the good guy club respects my capabilities to some degree, but they also know I'm not really interested in joining the club.

-people who stroll in haphazardly 10 minutes after they were supposed to be there and then mope over to the coffee machine, and then mope back to their office, finally starting to think about work 30 minutes after they were supposed to start work. Usually the same folks who are out the door at 4:59pm.

-routine. I need to determine my own schedule, at least to some extent. I used to work in hourly positions and they'd expect everyone to go to lunch at exactly 12:00 and return at exactly 1:00. No fluctuations unless you asked. Doesn't work for me. In some workplaces, it has to be like that so that staff are available at all times. But, treat me like an adult and you'll get good results. Treat me like a child and watch over my back and you're not going to keep me for long

-beauracracy: in some industries, the beauracracy is truly mind-boggling. You can literally spend 4 hours of your day navigating your way through red tape, unecessary policies and procedures, reading a 60 page manual on how to properly fill out a 12 page form, having to e-mail 4 people in order to perform a really mundane task that those 4 people don't even care about and don't have time for themselves, unnecessary meetings where everyone has one eye open and one eye shut and where nothing of any real substance is being discussed.

Edit: I truly believe that if I were able to eliminate beauracracy and unnecessary meetings, and if people would do their job when they were asked instead of getting back to you 4 days later, that I could perform my job in 2 hours a day. But, because of waiting, having to jump through hoops, beauracracy, meetings, coffee, etc, the job ends up taking 8 hours per day. 4-6 hours of it is just nonsense type of stuff. 2-4 hours of it is real work.

zerocrossing

MBTI Type
ENTP
How do I get the girl?

If she's an INTP girl, make sure that you have massive amounts of knowledge on a topic that she's either obsessed with or wants to know more about. That will usually at least pique her interest.

eta: :)doh: ... INTP distraction... thought I was on the last page while actually on the first page :blush:)

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKe996ZEhI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKe996ZEhI[/YOUTUBE]

Amazing!

I'm just trying to find a music niche that has yet to be explored. So it kind of looks like klezmer hip hop has been discovered, but it's yet to be deeply excavated. And I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth the effort (ie. marketable).

But I guess that's misleading, cause just about anything can be marketable, but maybe I'm looking more for "ground-breaking." :laugh:

Darbyothrill

MBTI Type
INTP
I've admittedly listened to very little Andrew Bird, but what I have listened to I have found too dear and sentimental. Not so much the lyrics, I never think to listen to lyrics typically, but the sounds and his voice. Just doesn't catch me at all, so I find it interesting that you all seem to enjoy it. Certainly makes me rethink it... somewhat.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm not a fan of his singing either, though that's easy for me to say as I can't hold a pitch and I have a terrible singing voice.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs pride themselves on competency and big picture thinking. How does an INTP cope if they weren't born with the tools to be competent? How does a low ability INTP behave?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs pride themselves on competency and big picture thinking. How does an INTP cope if they weren't born with the tools to be competent? How does a low ability INTP behave?

How does competence fit in with the definition for Thinking or Ti dominance? Thinking is making decisions based on logic and analysis, as far as I can see, that doesn't relate to competence. Maybe it does somehow...

I think the need for competence arises from Enneagram 5, which is a common INTP enneagram type. Competence is the drive of the five.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
When in your childhood did you recognize that you were the way you are? What was the defining moment in discovering your personality(not necessarily in MBTI terms)?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Everybody has things they're able to be competent at, right? Or are you talking about someone who is inhibited in some way (e.g., isn't a high-functioning person)? I definitely have weak areas that I'm just not very good at - and those activities/careers frustrate me. I've become competent at just about every job I've had, but when I worked in construction some years ago, it just didn't come to me. Hard as I tried, it just wasn't my thing. There were parts of the trade that I became really good at, but overall, I knew that I could never reach the level of competency I have come to expect of myself. In other words, I would watch others and see them being more competent than me - and that told me that I had a long ways to go. I could never start a construction business knowing full well that the company down the street is doing better work than me. I just couldn't do it. I have to feel that I'm A+ quality at what I'm doing (or at least that I can see myself getting to that point in due time).

I remember taking up the game of golf 15 years ago. I quickly realized that golf is a game in which you must constantly try to get better. I realized that I would be having to practice the game constantly, constantly refining my game in order to achieve a high level of competency. I'd never be satisfied shooting a 90 or an 85. I mean, to go out and play a fun game with friends once in a while (and not do good) - I can handle that. But, to spend 20 years trying to get from 90 down to 72 (a scratch golfer), I didn't have the patience for that - so I gave the game up. Whereas, with a sport like skiing - I was able to spend 5 good years and become pretty darn good. I haven't skied in about 4 years now, but I have no doubt that I could hit the slopes right now and do well. I'd be rusty, but I'd find my groove soon enough.

So, I guess to answer your question - I feel like just about anything I undertake, I'm pretty confident (at least at the beginning) that I will be able to become very competent. But, some things I just don't have the proper skill set for, and those things are very frustrating to me and I end up not liking them. I have respect for people who can do those things (golfers, home builders, etc.) - cuz they can do what I can't - but I end up thinking, "It's just not for me. It's not my thing."

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When in your childhood did you recognize that you were the way you are? What was the defining moment in discovering your personality(not necessarily in MBTI terms)?

I remember as a kid, going off by myself (getting away from people) - whether it be going for a long bike ride, wandering off at the lake we vacationed at, or closing the door to my bedroom, and thinking about things. Mapping things out on paper, considering possibilities, wondering (and trying to figure out) why things were the way they were, wondering how things could be different, exploring different phenomenons, experimenting with numbers/frequencies, reading, writing, etc. I never had a musical instrument, but I had these two drum sticks and I would play them against different surfaces to see what different combinations of sounds I could make, etc. Where it became evident that this was my unique personality is when family and/or friends would ask me to go with them somewhere and I would say that I would rather continue doing what I was doing. I was intrigued by something and I didn't want to be interrupted. I wanted to keep exploring the topic deeper, keep learning. Even at 10 and 12 years old, I sometimes couldn't be bothered by other things. If I was really engaged in something, my mom would call me for dinner like 10 times. Finally, she'd come to my bedroom and yell at me to stop doing what I was doing and come eat dinner. Sometimes my parents would have to force me to go with them or to go play with my friends. Haha.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I don't remember a single moment that would define me. I've always been really spacey, never had more than a few really close friends, and would spend hours alone in my room playing with k'nex (which is the greatest child's toy in history, by the way). Every other weekend, my family would eat spaghetti, (a food that I did not care for), and my older brother, who was really really advanced for his age, would debate religion and politics with my parents. I would listen quietly and analyze their arguments while eating hot dogs or whatever. There's Ti's advancement. Inferior Fe came in the form of tears whenever something didn't go perfectly until like 7th grade, and that was embarrassing.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
Hmm, interesting. Two more.

1). Do you consider yourself self-aware?

2). Why the fuck are you so good at Axis and Allies/Risk?

93JC

Yes, but it often does not come into play when I make decisions.

Ability to analyze many outcomes at once and plan accordingly.

Better question is why I'm so bad at chess.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

we also pride ourselves on not giving a flying fuck ;) . but thats mostly only for the other people outside, but at least with me competency is something im able to truly not give a fuck in most cases, i pretty much only care about that if i think im better at something than he is, but he claims to be better..

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Very

I've only played Risk a few times. Don't know if I'm good at it or not.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

1: Yes.

2: Never played either to completion. I always get bored of risk by the time we can get it set up, and I've never had the opportunity to play axis and allies.