• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question #8: Can an INTP engineer a rock so big that he can't lift it, even with the help of machinery?

Where's question #7? :newwink:

Answer: I could always design a new machine that would be able to lift it.

A

Anew Leaf

I'd just invent a way to go to Saturn and then build a machine that would lift Earth. Simple.

But since Saturn can conceivably float in water, how would that work? (Let's not forget also that in order to get back to Earth, you would need to slingshot past Jupiter and then renavigate the asteroid field... all while "carrying" a machine that is capable of lifting the earth. Not to mention the fact that Jupiter and Saturn are only on the same side of the Sun every so often. Jupiter's orbit being 11.86 years and Saturn's being 29.46 years. Your turn.)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You didn't mention that I was required to "return" to Earth. You just asked if I could find a way to lift it. And ze answer is yes.

If your question is "how would you lift earth and then return to Earth?", then my first option would be to take Arnold Schwarzenneger hostage, put a sharp object to his temple, force him to do a handstand (on the earth), and then tell him to start pushing as hard as he could (I'd push his feet) and, inevitably, his strength would begin to lift the earth. Whenever we were done, we would very carefully put the earth back in its original place. Also, I'd tell him that while he was lifting, to continue to rotate the earth on its axis so that the earthlings could continue to conduct "business as usual" while we did our lifting. "Construction zone - feel free to conduct business as usual" - type of thing.

It's really a much more simple solution than people think.

A

Anew Leaf

You didn't mention that I was required to "return" to Earth. You just asked if I could find a way to lift it. And ze answer is yes.

If your question is "how would you lift earth and then return to Earth?", then my first option would be to take Arnold Schwarzenneger hostage, put a sharp object to his temple, force him to do a handstand (on the earth), and then tell him to start pushing as hard as he could (I'd push his feet) and, inevitably, his strength would begin to lift the earth. Whenever we were done, we would very carefully put the earth back in its original place. Also, I'd tell him that while he was lifting, to continue to rotate the earth on its axis so that the earthlings could continue to conduct "business as usual" while we did our lifting. "Construction zone - feel free to conduct business as usual" - type of thing.

It's really a much more simple solution than people think.

Ah, so you are going to construct a device on Saturn (a gas giant with no surface except perhaps an iron core) that will remotely lift Earth?

Question: What kind of materials are going to be used for this? Will they come from Earth or will they be harvested from Saturn itself, its rings, or moons (of which there are many)?

And are you positive that you can create a machine that is so powerful that it combats the Sun's own gravitational pull? Considering that 99.9% of the solar systems mass is just the Sun, how would that be possible?

Your turn. :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a team of contractors who have already discovered how to live on Saturn - that part is taken care of. The short of it is that we would have to live in these huge "cranes" (massive) that sort of "hover" above the surface, yet are still anchored to the core and anchored to other planets (cool, right? tell me about it!). These cranes are attached to other planets via "flexible arms" - as the planets get further away from each other (or closer to each other), the crane arms extend futher, or come in closer. In other words, the planets can continue to orbit, uninterrupted. But, there we are "anchored in" - and pretty much able to conduct business as if we were on the "surface" of Saturn. The materials - they come from.......ehhh......I'm hesitant to say this, but they come from outside of this solar system. My team of contractors and I are dealing with materials with properties that can withstand anything and everything that occurs within this little baby solar system that we reside in. It's like we live here on this little block on the edge of town, but the other solar systems from which we are drawing resources from - they are like "the rich neighborhoods" - so naturally, when we first went there, we were like poor folks going to Beverly Hills - we were like "Oh. My. Goodness." So, yeah, there's a lot involved, but, it definitely can work.

As for gravitational pull, you have to account for that when you attempt to "lift". In fact, gravity is indeed one of our biggest allies should we ever need to lift. We would allow the lifting mechanism to sort of freefall (gravity) towards the earth, gaining a huge amount of speed and power, which would actually help tremendously in the lifting. The impact of such a large device on earth's surface, you ask? The lifting mechanism is padded - with a super soft foam. Earthlings wouldn't even know they had just been lifted. Business as usual.

Please note that this is not something my team of researchers and I are necessarily "planning" on doing - it's just something that we know we could, if ever necessary. I'm going to McDonald's for lunch. Does anyone want a chocolate shake?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question #10: If this big padded device hit the earth and picked it up, wouldn't it smoosh people?

Well, we (my team) have essentially infiltrated the USGS, and many other gov't organizations. We have people in key places in every nation and in every organization. We would put out a "false alarm" for a potential catastrophe in the Antarctica region (aka - all humans get out of Antarctica and the extreme southern hemisphere). Once people were cleared out, then the device would sweep earth off it's feet by lifting it from the Antarctica region. But, it's all hypothetical at this point. Why? Are you "in need" of having the Earth lifted anytime soon? Any particular reason? I personally think we're doing just fine, and therefore don't see a need to do any "heavy lifting" at this point.

A

Anew Leaf

I have a team of contractors who have already discovered how to live on Saturn - that part is taken care of. The short of it is that we would have to live in these huge "cranes" (massive) that sort of "hover" above the surface, yet are still anchored to the core and anchored to other planets (cool, right? tell me about it!). These cranes are attached to other planets via "flexible arms" - as the planets get further away from each other (or closer to each other), the crane arms extend futher, or come in closer. In other words, the planets can continue to orbit, uninterrupted. But, there we are "anchored in" - and pretty much able to conduct business as if we were on the "surface" of Saturn. The materials - they come from.......ehhh......I'm hesitant to say this, but they come from outside of this solar system. My team of contractors and I are dealing with materials with properties that can withstand anything and everything that occurs within this little baby solar system that we reside in. It's like we live here on this little block on the edge of town, but the other solar systems from which we are drawing resources from - they are like "the rich neighborhoods" - so naturally, when we first went there, we were like poor folks going to Beverly Hills - we were like "Oh. My. Goodness." So, yeah, there's a lot involved, but, it definitely can work.

As for gravitational pull, you have to account for that when you attempt to "lift". In fact, gravity is indeed one of our biggest allies should we ever need to lift. We would allow the lifting mechanism to sort of freefall (gravity) towards the earth, gaining a huge amount of speed and power, which would actually help tremendously in the lifting. The impact of such a large device on earth's surface, you ask? The lifting mechanism is padded - with a super soft foam. Earthlings wouldn't even know they had just been lifted. Business as usual.

Please note that this is not something my team of researchers and I are necessarily "planning" on doing - it's just something that we know we could, if ever necessary. I'm going to McDonald's for lunch. Does anyone want a chocolate shake?

I took a moment to do some calculations for you, since let's face it, someone sorely needs to help you on this.

AU: Astronomical Unit of length equal to about 92,955,807.27 miles which is the mean distance from the Sun to the Earth.

Distance from the Sun by AU of each planet:
Mercury 0.39
Venus 0.72
Earth 1.0
Mars 1.5
Jupiter 5.2
Saturn 9.5
Uranus 19.2
Neptune 30.1
Pluto 39.5

The least amount of cabling/cranes/connectivity between each planet with Saturn as the center to the most amount of cabling (taking into account when the planets are on opposite sides of the sun are:
Mercury 9.11-9.89
Venus 8.78-10.22
Earth 8.5-10.5
Mars 8.0-11.00
Jupiter 4.3-14.7
Uranus 9.7-19.2
Neptune 20.6-30.1
Pluto 30-39.5

So my next questions are:
How do you compensate for the cables needing to pass through the Sun (and occasionally other planets) as the planets turn in their orbits?
What are these magical cables made of?
Do you realize that this would require 145.11 AU of cable?
Would you be hiring union workers to fulfill these tasks for you?

Your turn! :D

A

Anew Leaf

Question #10: If this big padded device hit the earth and picked it up, wouldn't it smoosh people?

Well, we (my team) have essentially infiltrated the USGS, and many other gov't organizations. We have people in key places in every nation and in every organization. We would put out a "false alarm" for a potential catastrophe in the Antarctica region (aka - all humans get out of Antarctica and the extreme southern hemisphere). Once people were cleared out, then the device would sweep earth off it's feet by lifting it from the Antarctica region. But, it's all hypothetical at this point. Why? Are you "in need" of having the Earth lifted anytime soon? Any particular reason? I personally think we're doing just fine, and therefore don't see a need to do any "heavy lifting" at this point.

That was actually going to be my next question but then I got distracted with Math.

You blinded me with your version of science.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How do you compensate for the cables needing to pass through the Sun (and occasionally other planets) as the planets turn in their orbits?

The arms are not operated with cables. That's primitive. A huge, vast system of lasers (set up throughout the solar system and controlled from within the cranes) directs the arms. The arms contain a liquid substance (again, discovered in another solar system) - the substance is a bit like that "expanding foam" that carpenters use to fill the cracks around windows. So, when an arm needs to expand, this substance "grows" and allows the arms to expand out. As they need to contract, it does this as well. It shrinks. And everything is all calculated into the system, so the arms know when to expand/contract and exactly at what rate. And the substance never has to be replenished. It expands and contracts over and over and never depletes itself.

And the arms are able to go through the sun, without interrupting what happens in its core. We could also expand the arms around the sun (and/or planets) if we needed to (the expansion substance is "that good"). Imagine these big "flexy" arms and hands roaming around space however we see fit. I know you don't believe this, but the INTP's on this forum and in this thread have all been briefed on this (and in fact, many of them contributed to the technology). If you're having a hard time comprehending it, well, I'm very sorry to hear that, but it's not my problem.

What are these magical cables made of?

Cables. Pffff. Are you still on this "cable" trip?

Do you realize that this would require 145.11 AU of cable?

We're cable free baby. Do you see cables going from your computer to mine? No, but we're still communicating. This is the 21st century here. Join us. :D

Cables. Seriously? Yeah, we'll be plugging in to the outlet in your wall too.

Would you be hiring union workers to fulfill these tasks for you?

Robots. Machines. Materials from a different solar system. The properties that you are accustomed to...don't really apply here. Allow yourself to think outside the box, cuz if you limit your thinking to technology that you see in your little home town, it won't make sense.

A

Anew Leaf

The arms are not operated with cables. That's primitive. A huge, vast system of lasers (set up throughout the solar system and controlled from within the cranes) directs the arms. The arms contain a liquid substance (again, discovered in another solar system) - the substance is a bit like that "expanding foam" that carpenters use to fill the cracks around windows. So, when an arm needs to expand, this substance "grows" and allows the arms to expand out. As they need to contract, it does this as well. It shrinks. And everything is all calculated into the system, so the arms know when to expand/contract and exactly at what rate. And the substance never has to be replenished. It expands and contracts over and over and never depletes itself.

And the arms are able to go through the sun, without interrupting what happens in its core. We could also expand the arms around the sun (and/or planets) if we needed to (the expansion substance is "that good"). Imagine these big "flexy" arms and hands roaming around space however we see fit. I know you don't believe this, but the INTP's on this forum and in this thread have all been briefed on this (and in fact, many of them contributed to the technology). If you're having a hard time comprehending it, well, I'm very sorry to hear that, but it's not my problem.

Cables. Pffff. Are you still on this "cable" trip?

We're cable free baby. Do you see cables going from your computer to mine? No, but we're still communicating. This is the 21st century here. Join us. :D

Cables. Seriously? Yeah, we'll be plugging in to the outlet in your wall too.

Robots. Machines. Materials from a different solar system. The properties that you are accustomed to...don't really apply here. Allow yourself to think outside the box, cuz if you limit your thinking to technology that you see in your little home town, it won't make sense.

BTW, I will be brushing up on my knowledge of lasers for my future questions. I have contacted an expert in the realm of physics to look over your specs for me and make sure you are playing by the laws of thermodynamics.

A

Anew Leaf

Question #20: Do you think INTPs should pretend to have knowledge that they don't actually have?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question #20: Do you think INTPs should pretend to have knowledge that they don't actually have?

Absolutely not. That would be completely unethical. This type of behavior is unheard of within the INTP community.

A

Anew Leaf

Absolutely not. That would be completely unethical. This type of behavior is unheard of within the INTP community.

Hmm, I wonder what could possibly constitute unethical behavior....

Question #21: If someone, for the sake of argument, has little to no knowledge about say, grapes.... should they be pretending they are a grape expert? To the extent that they are conceptualizing contraptions using grapes and lasers?

A

Anew Leaf

Question #22: Is it possible for an INTP to still be an INTP but not be very good at science or appreciate the arts of science fiction?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm, I wonder what could possibly constitute unethical behavior....

Question #21: If someone, for the sake of argument, has little to no knowledge about say, grapes.... should they be pretending they are a grape expert? To the extent that they are conceptualizing contraptions using grapes and lasers?

As long as they are surrounded by a great team of scientists who are able to incorporate said contraptions.......................then, sure, they should be able to spout off at the mouth all they want. But, this is very much a "hypothetical" question you pose here - because most of the time the INTP will indeed be an expert on whatever they are talking about. Your hypotheticals are really starting to turn a very straightforward, realistic thread into something that is so far out, people are going to lose interest. For the sake of our readers, please try to keep future questions in the realm of reality please. You're really "reaching" with some of these questions.

Question #22: Is it possible for an INTP to still be an INTP

No. It's impossible for an INTP to still be an INTP.

but not be very good at science

Highly unlikely, but I hear that it does happen occasionally in some mutants.

or appreciate the arts of science fiction?

When we're children we might dabble in science fiction, but when one becomes a man, he must focus solely on reality and real-world applications.