• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
This is very much like Michael Jordan thinking to himself, "Hey, I think I'll play for the Wales basketball team". Why would you want to leave the inextricable awesomeness of being an INTP for the inferior team? *puzzled expression*. Look, hey, here's a cupcake. It'll make you feel better? I put lots of feeling and love into making it for you, seriously. Please have some.

I would think trying to understand people who are different to you is something everyone should strive for? INTPness said that he tried to see things from his ISFP's point of view, not adopt it for himself. There's a difference between understanding and changing who you are...

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I would think trying to understand people who are different to you is something everyone should strive for? INTPness said that he tried to see things from his ISFP's point of view, not adopt it for himself. There's a difference between understanding and changing who you are...

I realize that. I was just teasing him. :) I have close friends who are ISFPs and they are dears, not to mention fantastic artists. ;)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Aah ok :tongue:. It's hard for me to pick up on that sort of stuff through text lol

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Aah ok :tongue:. It's hard for me to pick up on that sort of stuff through text lol

That's alright. I want to lock you up in my closet when no one's around. I want to push your hand in my pocket because you're allowed. I want to drive you into the corner and kiss you without a sound. I want to stay this way forever, I'll say it aloud. Now you're in, you can't get out. You make me so hot. You make me wanna drop. You're so ridiculous, I can barely stop. I can hardly breathe, you make me want to scream. You're so fabulous, you're so good to me, baby.

Cough.

That came out all wrong? ;)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why is it great to be an INTP?
I'd like to see some reasons why you're happy with your type!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

That's a great question. I'll need approximately 24 hours to process the question through Ti and get back to you. :D

Seriously though, some of the following things come to mind:

1. I really do enjoy my "independent time". A lot of people seem to think that I lead a boring, stick-in-the-mud lifestyle (i.e., always wanting to stay home) but, to me, it is anything but that. I think people have this idea that we just sit at home and do nothing. It couldn't be further from the truth. There's a lot going on in our caves. We're researching this, looking into that, learning about this new thing we heard someone talking about, all the while keeping our antenna up for something else that might pique our interest. We're actually very busy - but we're busy doing stuff like learning and researching and reading. We have a LOT of energy - but it's mental energy. We get tired easily because the brain is intensely active all day (naps are my friends). We may not be physically tired, but our brains get overworked. There is a lot going on in my mind, I've heard other INTP's describe it as a "rich" inner life. When I get to analyzing something that interests me, I delve really deep into it and I think that I often take that research to a level that many people don't go. So, while the things I'm researching or learning may seem boring to some, I'm essentially tapping into some knowledge or "seeing" things that most people don't see or "going to a place" (within that subject) that most people don't go - understanding the intricacies of how the world - or some system - works. It really isn't boring for me. It's quite fun and enjoyable - sometimes so much so, that I don't want interruptions of any kind (I have to work on that - "life" happening around me should not be seen as an interruption).

2. This isn't to toot my own horn (all types have their strengths!), but I feel that Ti affords me the ability to really get to the bottom of things - to really, truly understand things and reach what some might consider a pretty remarkable level of knowledge that goes beyond what most people understand. This has a downside as well, I think, because this can also cause us to become cynical. We may hear others discussing a topic and we think "you really have so much more to learn about that topic". It's sounds really arrogant, I know, but we just really enjoy getting to the bottom of things - to the point that we know the topic inside and out.

3. As difficult as it is to connect with a lot of people and find love (there's that 4-letter word) -I lead an extremely solitary life, at times- the older I get, the more I'm learning that I have a very unique ability, or capacity, to love others from a "different angle" - if that makes sense. Many of the close friends I've had throughout life and girlfriends have said that I've loved them or made their life better in a very different way - in a way that they hadn't experienced or even thought of before. It's hard to explain - we can be extremely loyal friends (I'm sure my Enneagram "sx" contributes to this - when I find a good friend, I'm extremely loyal) and I think that some people find that we are loyal even more than some of their "normal" friends. An extrovert might have tons of friends who hang out with them more than I do and who are possibly even more fun than I am, but my few true friends KNOW that if they called me for something really serious, I'd stop everything I was doing to be there for them without even thinking twice about it. In short, some REALLY great friendships!

4. Those great Ne conversations. They don't happen enough and when they do, I don't want them to stop. They're just really enjoyable and sometimes make me laugh until my stomach hurts. Very fun stuff.

There's more that I'm probably not thinking of right now, but basically we probably look like some really boring people from the outside and like we aren't having fun (because of our melancholy nature), but live a day inside our heads and you'd see just how much fun we're having in there! :yes:

Edit: I like to "say no" to drugs, but researching, analyzing, learning, and investigating are like "crack" to us. We just can't get enough of it.

md5fungi

MBTI Type
INTP

- INTPs make connections other types fail to make. Sensing types fail to make indirect connections, especially when it comes to intangible things. Judging types will often "shut the door" when a connection is found, even if others exist. Feelers often struggle to be objective, and along with other problems prevent these connections from being realized. Extroverts focus their efforts towards people, whereas Introverts focus them towards ideas. This is a power that is useful and important to have.

- People tend to like INTPs in my experience. Being a likable person is never a bad thing. INTPs are able to look past trivialities and usually go straight for meaningful, logical systems. This comes off as being relatively carefree and "cool". INTPs have reasons for the ways they treat you; people like other people who are able to justify their actions.

- Being an INTP lets you make the most out of learning. Learning things is invigorating, and an INTP will eagerly devour new information, new problems, and is constantly formulating systems to process this information and these problems. Thus learning is a very easy process for the INTP and comes naturally. Theorizing and analyzing are second nature.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

The fiercely independent personality, the insane practicality when situations call for it, the ability to get down to the bottom of things, the ability to trim inefficiency in systems, the off-the-wall sense of humor, the insatiable drive to be better, the curiosity about what is happening around us, the free-spirited/childlike side, a sharp mind, eloquence, not getting bothered by small things, the hungry intellect, the loyalty and sweetness to people whom we are close to, etc etc.

No, no I'm not in love with myself! :D

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP

Comfortably independent.
Sharp mind.
Balls-to-the-walls humor, often tinged with sarcasm, sometimes well-meaning cynicism. ;P
Able to be objective and get to the bottom of most situations, takes into considerations both facts and ideas.
Good language skills.
Generally adaptable to other types, welcoming new opinions and thoughts, but only if they are grounded with reason.
Usually damn sexy :)
Often equipped with ridiculously large penises.
Occasionally deluded.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a few INTP ?'s
Bear with me.
Ahem.

Have you ever tried to daydream to a favorite song?:headphne: Isn't it the shit!?

What do you do with your spare ideas? I sometimes write them down, and sometimes I just let them slip away, hoping I can retrace my steps later.

How do you deal with small talk? (Responding with random big talk is hilarious:))

What zaps your energy the most? My ENFJ and ENFP roommates are good at this.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
- Being an INTP lets you make the most out of learning. Learning things is invigorating, and an INTP will eagerly devour new information, new problems, and is constantly formulating systems to process this information and these problems. Thus learning is a very easy process for the INTP and comes naturally. Theorizing and analyzing are second nature.

FUCK YEAH!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a few INTP ?'s
Bear with me.
Ahem.

Have you ever tried to daydream to a favorite song?:headphne: Isn't it the shit!?

What do you do with your spare ideas? I sometimes write them down, and sometimes I just let them slip away, hoping I can retrace my steps later.

How do you deal with small talk? (Responding with random big talk is hilarious:))

What zaps your energy the most? My ENFJ and ENFP roommates are good at this.

Fun questions! :tongue:

Yes, I love daydreaming with certain songs as "soundtracks", it's brilliant! I love imagining things in slo-mo with some really epic music to go along with it. Sometimes when actually listening to a song on my mp3 I'll imagine situations that the song would make a good soundtrack for etc, tis a good way to pass time :headphne:

Spare ideas tend to get lost unfortunately :cry: I usually think of them when I'm away from pen&paper, and vow to remember them, but alas...

As for small talk, I love to take something the other person said and reply literally (out of context) to see their expressions! Making up really elaborate, completely fictitious replies can also be amusing (as in very obvious lies: "Yeah tv licenses are for when you want to bring your tv for a walk." :tongue:). Occasionally I ask people in a mock-serious voice, "So, tell me about your childhood." It usually gets a few laughs :)

Being out with very loud people for rather extended periods of time. Or very dull people who are all about the small talk, and none of my escape routes work.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:laugh: I like how there are three of these threads. The second and third both mention the previous, but never mind enough to bring it to the forefront.

If an INTP has emotionally closed off from themselves, to the point of being unable to self-reflect, what would be an ideal tactic(s) for enabling rediscovery?

How far would you personally have to be pushed to exude an ESxP front?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep hearing how INTPs are fast learners. I've had some chance to witness this first-hand. So, my question is to what things does this ability apply and to what things is it exempt? Your responses are very relevant to my interests.

Thanks in advance.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:laugh: I like how there are three of these threads. The second and third both mention the previous, but never mind enough to bring it to the forefront.

If an INTP has emotionally closed off from themselves, to the point of being unable to self-reflect, what would be an ideal tactic(s) for enabling rediscovery?

How far would you personally have to be pushed to exude an ESxP front?

I'll start a 4th thread tomorrow. Just because. :D

I'm not exactly sure if I get your questions. I feel as though I'm always "able" to self-reflect - I sort of live in that place. You know how people say INTP's are in their head all the time? We do a lot of that self-reflecting stuff. That doesn't mean we're not hard-headed or stubborn when someone tells us we're doing something wrong. But, there's only been a few times in my life where I've needed someone to *shake the crap out of me* and say, "Hey, wake up! Look what you're doing! This doesn't make any sense what you're doing with yourself" (if that's what you're asking). And that's basically what it takes to get me to a new place. Someone has to present it firmly to me. Like ENTJ style. And then I'll go, "Oh yeah, I really am acting like a doofus. Let me go ahead and snap out of this funk and go in a different direction."

And your last question. To exude an ESxP front? What exactly does an ESxP front look like? I mean, I've jumped out of a plane before, I've gone skiing on some pretty crazy slopes, I water ski, etc. I'm into those kind of things, but I'm not a thrill-seeker per se if that's what you're getting at.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I keep hearing how INTPs are fast learners. I've had some chance to witness this first-hand. So, my question is to what things does this ability apply and to what things is it exempt? Your responses are very relevant to my interests.

Thanks in advance.

Very simply, if we become interested in something, we will devour it. Whether it be a new subject in school, a new book in which the first few pages have caught our attention, a new sport that we become interested in, learning an instrument, learning about someone, anything really. The key for me is that I'm hungry for it. If I'm not hungry for it, then it's like, "Meh, whatever." But, if someone turns me on to something new and I'm totally intrigued by it, I will literally spend every free hour consuming it until I believe I have a good grasp of it. An example that comes to mind is a buddy of mine played tennis in high school. He invited me to play, so I went and played with him for a couple hours. I had a blast. I went that night and bought a really nice racket and some balls and started just showing up at the park and hitting against the wall, when someone would show up, I would ask them if they wanted to play a game, etc. One time a high school coach showed up and I played with him and he showed me some things. I went every single day after work and played and played. A few weeks later, I played against my friend again and I beat him. He was like, "What the...??? How did this happen?"

Same goes with school subjects. If I took a class in college that bored me to tears, it was brutal getting through the class cuz I didn't care to put forth the effort. But, if I got turned on to the subject - if that light switch inside me got turned on - I would read the textbook in the first couple weeks of class and do all kinds of supplemental reading on my own and learn the subject inside and out, backwards and forwards and then get bored again cuz the teacher would be teaching about stuff I had already eaten for dinner last night.

It's somewhat rare for this to happen, but I'm sure other INTP's can attest that when it does happen, it's very exciting and fun. I've been so wrapped up in something before, that I'd come home from work on a Friday afternoon and the next thing I knew it was late Sunday night and I had to start thinking about Monday morning again, so I had to put it down. Such a sad moment. LOL.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'll start a 4th thread tomorrow. Just because. :D

I'm not exactly sure if I get your questions. I feel as though I'm always "able" to self-reflect - I sort of live in that place. You know how people say INTP's are in their head all the time? We do a lot of that self-reflecting stuff. That doesn't mean we're not hard-headed or stubborn when someone tells us we're doing something wrong. But, there's only been a few times in my life where I've needed someone to *shake the crap out of me* and say, "Hey, wake up! Look what you're doing! This doesn't make any sense what you're doing with yourself" (if that's what you're asking). And that's basically what it takes to get me to a new place. Someone has to present it firmly to me. Like ENTJ style. And then I'll go, "Oh yeah, I really am acting like a doofus. Let me go ahead and snap out of this funk and go in a different direction."

And your last question. To exude an ESxP front? What exactly does an ESxP front look like? I mean, I've jumped out of a plane before, I've gone skiing on some pretty crazy slopes, I water ski, etc. I'm into those kind of things, but I'm not a thrill-seeker per se if that's what you're getting at.
Oh jeez :rofl1: I hadn't really looked at your avatar earlier, but the intp I'm on about has a picture of Chris Hansen on one of his profiles. Next question: The significance, if any? lol

Mm I should have mentioned my questions are entwined in a way. The INTP I know has been so caught up in perceiving his character as negative, and living up to the expectations of living in bad areas, that he has shut off from himself. This is further helped along by years of substance abuse. When he does attempt to self-reflect, it depresses him immensely. Normally, people put up walls between other people and who they really are, but his walls begin between who he is and himself.
My ENFJ ass is always subtly looking for ways to guide him, but he's not the usual creature I deal in.

In turn, he has developed an ESxP front (I'm thinking ESFP). He won't want to be around others, especially not for extended periods of time. He won't want to party extensively or entertain to no end. However, he feels that people with begin to inquire if he doesn't keep up appearances. He has also expressed that, in doing so many outlandish activities over the years, few activities excite him anymore. Inevitably, life does not excite him much these days.
So I wonder what it would take to drive INTPs to such points, as it may give better insight in reversing the process. That and how to not step heavily on spots that would make an INTP recoil.

I do forget how active you folks can be, actually :tongue:

A

Anew Leaf

Question: If an INTP were to be caught "grinning" what would happen?

A. The four horsemen of the Apocalypse.
B. Look into this penlight. *Flash*
C. I was actually practicing my frowning for when I move to the Upside Down Cake planet.
D. *Eyes focused on something else far off into the dreamy distance.*

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Our minds are active, more than anything else. Always going a million miles an hour. I don't have time to give you the long answer at the moment (I have to sign off here in a moment), but it sounds to me as though he has lost his zest for life. He's giving up. I personally think it is CRUCIAL for INTP's to have something that they can really dive into and make a difference in the world, in people's lives, or in something bigger than themselves (doing cancer research, starting a business, writing a book, something along these lines). Otherwise, without something truly challenging, truly worth undertaking, it's real easy to "check out" mentally and just kind of go "Ho hum. I'm just going to sit on the sidelines for the next 60 years." That type of mentality and outlook is always dangerously close for the INTP. He's got to stay involved in a project, in something meaningful. Whatever it is that has interested him since he was young (his "first love" so to speak, whether it be books or science or writing music, whatever), he's got to return to that and just live in it. Just bathe in it. Allow himself to be that person and he'll become very good at it and he'll love what he does. It takes some work though. A little dedication.