Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    I could count on one hand (ok yes that's the only way I know how) the amount of people who on first meeting thought my INTP liked them. I sometimes go around in a hazmat suit doing damage control. It's a fun game.
    There is also (though I'm sure it's not applicable to Saturned ) a c) your interpretation of disinterest is exactly right. (Seems more likely than actual dislike. At least, while my INTP would rarely say he dislikes someone, he disinterests all over the place.)
    He needs to learn to project Fe.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I've actually noticed enjoying you/your posts a fair amount, particularly as of late.
    High compliments indeed!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    He needs to learn to project Fe.
    Very probably he does need to Fe more, although on the sliding scale of serious I was bordering facetious.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Dear INTPs,

Why don't you like me?
    I think I like you... You're the one who loves/hates INTP men, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    INTP questions:
    I am only going to answer the non-stupid ones that I can add something to.
    How does one know you are angry if only an coworker?
    People are inclined to believe I'm angry when I'm not. When I'm angry YOU WILL KNOW. If someone evokes a strong emotion in me of any kind, they tend to know about it. I'm more inclined though to find you irritating/dull or else just filter you out. I can work beside someone for months and not recognise them on the street...
    I think most INTPs seem to be more mellow on the surface than I, but scratch that surface and you will find exasperation and irritation in bucket loads.
    Can I rely upon you to be direct if I request you to be direct and let you know civility is optional?
    You can rely on me to be direct even when you really don't want me to be. I am compulsively direct.
    How do you like to be directed/managed?
    I don't. Less is more.
    How would you prefer to learn or be taught?
    Are you talking about a child or a co-worker? Even that question is annoying..
    How comfortable are you talking about your personal relationships at work and are there boundaries?
    There are always boundaries. I seldom if ever talk about personal stuff at work. Or at all.

I have to say I am feeling rather sorry for your INTP colleague. If you think he/she is angry, you are probably right. Smothering an INTP is never a good idea. I think if I worked with you you would drive me nuts and I'd probably hide whenever I saw you coming. If in doubt, reign yourself in, we really appreciate restraint.

Another thing that is pretty annoying is when partners of INTPs join boards to talk EXCLUSIVELY about their mates. I know we're fascinating an' all but you really need to develop some other interests if you want to retain our interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    You can rely on me to be direct even when you really don't want me to be. I am compulsively direct.
    Another thing that is pretty annoying is when partners of INTPs join boards to talk EXCLUSIVELY about their mates. I know we're fascinating an' all but you really need to develop some other interests if you want to retain our interest.
    does the second example not contradict the first statement?

There are always boundaries. I seldom if ever talk about personal stuff at work. Or at all.

I have to say I am feeling rather sorry for your INTP colleague. If you think he/she is angry, you are probably right. Smothering an INTP is never a good idea. I think if I worked with you you would drive me nuts and I'd probably hide whenever I saw you coming. If in doubt, reign yourself in, we really appreciate restraint.
    An odd fact-upon the first five minutes of meeting this INTP, he started to share very specific details about his personal life. Not to a great deal of depth, but definitely placing it on the table as an item of observation.

wrt anger the question was to build context-it would be of value to be able to understand when he is angry/resentful, not that he has had time to get angry just yet.

wrt restraint, you know, this isnt exactly what I observe in all INTPs I have been around in the past-many seem entertained by shared Ne funny stuff, thus we tend to get along okay in the day-to-day. Rough edged Te goes over much worse. My favorite INTPs have been oddly warm and even kinda goofy, a bit funny, and hysterically sarcastic. Their old Fe can be sweet or just sort of goofy or even oddly knowing.

To be honest, I didnt pick the INTP. Actually I would have picked any number of other folks to work with, including a number of really awesome ENFPs who have a great deal of potential. Not because the INTP lacks potential in his own way, but because inevitably, there would be communication issues that complicate getting work done and I'd rather not deal with them. I was placed working with the INTP without my say, as I am "more analytical" that anyone else on the team so they thought it would be a good match.

Observations thus far are that he offended 2/3 of the team and our supervisor by totally being blind to Fi value investments, is oddly like chatting with a seventh grade girl talking shit about other girls in class behind their backs, and can contribute superbly perpendicular observations into group discussions. *shrugs* at least it will be novel. His ideas are very, very good, and introduce a level of heterogeneity into the discussion, so we'll see how it goes.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think my boss is an INTP. I really respect him but I have made an error in the past that has haunted me (as an INFP I can be sensitive and very hard on myself).

I guess...I am in mortal anguish about this because I need reassurance. But I get...nothing.

Anyway, here are my questions:
    1. for little mistakes, is it even worth going back and talking about it to the INTP and explaining? I'm thinking no, right?

2. once the issue is solved, does the INTP retain the mistake in his head? from my prior experience with the boss, I think yes, but sometimes he has selective memory.

3. how do you get approval from an INTP? I feel that he really likes other T types. Those trusted in my office are INTPs and an ENTJ. I try masquerading as a T type but I feel like T types never make mistakes?!!

4. should I regularly go to the INTP and give him updates with projects? or is that annoying?

5. [I know the answer to this but...] should one leave you alone after a little mistake or is tiptoeing around after said mistake ridiculous?

Edit: Dont worry about hurting my feelings.
    Last edited by xenaprincess; 06-06-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    I think my boss is an INTP. I really respect him but I have made an error in the past that has haunted me (as an INFP I can be sensitive and very hard on myself).

I guess...I am in mortal anguish about this because I need reassurance. But I get...nothing.

1. for little mistakes, is it even worth going back and talking about it to the INTP and explaining? I'm thinking no, right?

2. once the issue is solved, does the INTP retain the mistake in his head? from my prior experience with the boss, I think yes, but sometimes he has selective memory.

3. how do you get approval from an INTP? I feel that he really likes other T types. Those trusted in my office are INTPs and an ENTJ. I try masquerading as a T type but I feel like T types never make mistakes?!!

4. should I regularly go to the INTP and give him updates with projects? or is that annoying?

5. [I know the answer to this but...] should one leave you alone after a little mistake or is tiptoeing around after said mistake ridiculous?

Ooh, I'm a boss myself of sorts, of about 30 people I guess. This is how I would answer your questions.

1. No, past mistakes are past mistakes, but making sure you don't keep making the same mistakes is pretty important, Everyone makes mistakes, but I hate it when people repeatedly make the same mistake. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to show you learn/improve from your mistakes. I can have a lot of respect for people who learn from their mistakes and grow in their function.

2. Not really an issue, we'll remember it but we won't mull over it or waste any energy on it, like I said, people make mistakes, but if you would make the same mistake again, he will know it and it might turn to frustration. :P

3. T types not making mistakes? HAH! They're just better at hiding it or muffling them away. As for getting approval. Showing the will and spirit to do well in your job is probably all that is needed. Also, INTP's don't mind you asking for their help or explanation (if they have the time for it) if you aren't sure about something. But you'll need to understand what he says and use it to your advantage (if he has something interesting to say) without having to make him repeat himself. But above all, the will to do your job well, and the ability to not completely fail at it (if things don't go perfect, it's not that big of deal as long as things are improving), is probably enough.

4. If you can summirize your progress in a sentence or two, it's probably fine. But the INTP doesn't want to feel like he is doing your job for you and expects you to 'think for yourself' in most cases, and is rather interested in the end result. Unless he is really involved in the process of your job, but then he will be the one looking over your shoulder without you asking him to do it. :P

5. I'd find it annoying if people do that. It's enough to know you realize your mistake and will make sure if doesn't happen again. We don't need apologies in ten fold, in fact, that's a bad idea and an insult to our 'intelligence' (captioned because I don't mean INTP's are particularly intelligent, but we do have an ego concerning the matter, but don't speak of this further, this is our weakest spot and can be used and abused by friend and foe.).
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Ooh, I'm a boss myself of sorts, of about 30 people I guess. This is how I would answer your questions.

1. No, past mistakes are past mistakes, but making sure you don't keep making the same mistakes is pretty important, Everyone makes mistakes, but I hate it when people repeatedly make the same mistake. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to show you learn/improve from your mistakes. I can have a lot of respect for people who learn from their mistakes and grow in their function.

2. Not really an issue, we'll remember it but we won't mull over it or waste any energy on it, like I said, people make mistakes, but if you would make the same mistake again, he will know it and it might turn to frustration. :P

3. T types not making mistakes? HAH! They're just better at hiding it or muffling them away. As for getting approval. Showing the will and spirit to do well in your job is probably all that is needed. Also, INTP's don't mind you asking for their help or explanation (if they have the time for it) if you aren't sure about something. But you'll need to understand what he says and use it to your advantage (if he has something interesting to say) without having to make him repeat himself. But above all, the will to do your job well, and the ability to not completely fail at it (if things don't go perfect, it's not that big of deal as long as things are improving), is probably enough.

4. If you can summirize your progress in a sentence or two, it's probably fine. But the INTP doesn't want to feel like he is doing your job for you and expects you to 'think for yourself' in most cases, and is rather interested in the end result. Unless he is really involved in the process of your job, but then he will be the one looking over your shoulder without you asking him to do it. :P

5. I'd find it annoying if people do that. It's enough to know you realize your mistake and will make sure if doesn't happen again. We don't need apologies in ten fold, in fact, that's a bad idea and an insult to our 'intelligence' (captioned because I don't mean INTP's are particularly intelligent, but we do have an ego concerning the matter, but don't speak of this further, this is our weakest spot and can be used and abused by friend and foe.).
    Thanks tons, Fluffy!! I will take your advice to heart.
    I saw him today and he gave me a 'hi!' which totally freaked me out....and I talked to him briefly about another project.

Not sure why I need particular reassurance from him. I think because...I get along with INTPs very well. I really like them. They can be scathingly funny and they have their moments of brilliance.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post

I read what Fluffy said and I don't think too much needs to be added onto it, but, to expand on 4, Something that might help is having a spreadsheet or something you can pull up if he asks about it.
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by acronach View Post
    I read what Fluffy said and I don't think too much needs to be added onto it, but, to expand on 4, Something that might help is having a spreadsheet or something you can pull up if he asks about it.
    oh my goodness, my INTJ fiance said the same thing.

meaning...that is so T! I love it!!

You and Fluffy are both great. I feel much better now!