User Tag List

First 28363738394048 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I just don't write checks.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    what part of the brain would make use of calculus?
    How are you using it?

NPcomplete

The first time I wrote a cheque (to pay rent), I got my dad to do a sample cheque for me on a piece of paper. So now when I have to write cheques, I refer to the sample otherwise I'd still not know how to write them. And yes, I don't balance chequebooks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Ooh, never seen this thread before, nice one.

What's an INTP like when he/she is in love? Tell me all about it please. e.g. Are there stages? I would love to know what goes on inside you lovely INTP folk when you are in love. :-)
    For me, not really "stages" - but it is a gradual progression with key moments that sort of unlock the next door and allow things to develop a bit further. I'd liken it to having someone invite you into their home. They show you the downstairs, the kitchen, the living room, whatever. And you're enamored with what you see. Maybe after a month, you're invited to sit on the couch and watch a movie. You enjoyed it and you're intrigued. A couple months go by, maybe the person offers to show you a bit of the upstairs. You walk to the top of the stairs and you peek around the corner and look down the hallway, but the doors to the rooms are still shut. You don't have access to those rooms yet. You're curious, but it's comfortable for you to go slow, as to not get ahead of yourself. You really enjoy taking your time and letting the relationship unfold as it may. Let nature take it's course. Don't rush, don't push, don't apply pressure. Just watch, observe, interact, learn, experience. Yes, that's a nice upstairs you have (aka, "Little Red Riding Hood, what a wonderful hallway you have").

Then, some months later. "Would you like me to open up one of the upstairs doors and show you the office/guest room?" "Sure, I'd love to see it!" Then, maybe after a year or whatever, all the rooms have been opened and you've seen this person for who they really are. All of the outer layers have been peeled off, due to both people becoming comfortable with each other, and now you "really know the person". I've always said that you need to know a person for 4 seasons. What you see of them in season 1 is going to change a bit in season 2, and season 3 will be even different. By the time you get through season 4, you will have a much different (much more comprehensive and truthful) view of and experience with that person. Sometimes season 1 goes well, but season 2 and 3 just don't work. Sometimes season 1 is OK, but season 2 gets more interesting, season 3 and 4 are unbelievable and you find yourself in a vulnerable position - you're in love and there's nothing you can do about it. It's been cemented beyond your control.

A lot of people will show you a good season 1, but the more time you spend with them, you start seeing some things you know you can't live with. Not flaws - I mean, we all have flaws and we should be able to accept some of these things in people (nobody is perfect) - but like, way too much drama in their lives, huge issues that you know will continually hinder and intrude on the relationship, maybe they have some habits/personality quirks that just sort of turn you off, no chemistry, etc. Sometimes it gets better as the seasons go on, sometimes worse.

But, for me, it's a slow "unfolding" process. Each time you unfold another piece, something new is revealed/discovered. I never want to unfold it all right away. I want it to happen naturally, with time, so that both people can enjoy the process and they can both have their heads on straight (not being lost good decision making). Go ahead and go on the roller coaster ride, enjoy it, laugh, dream, get butterflies in your stomach, the whole bit, but also go at a pace that you keep your head about you and that allows you to discover the other person one small piece at a time. It's a progression. It's a nice, long stroll through the park. It's never a race.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh, and as for being "in love" - to me, if I've gotten through those "4 seasons" and I'm still smitten, then I'd move heaven and earth for the person at that point - so long as they remain loyal and dedicated. If they start undermining me, competing against me, arguing with me, challenging me, being difficult, dramatic, causing trust issues, nagging, chaotic, etc, then we're going to have some problems. Or if they start to change and take things for granted (start being way more demanding after they know I'm in love with them, etc.). But, if you've made it through the 4 seasons and you remain loyal, dedicated, we both look out for each other's best interests, best friends, partners in crime sort of thing, things will be lovely and I'll do everything I can to keep things fresh, vibrant, enjoyable, alive, romantic, I'll have your back in every situation, look out for your interests, etc, etc. But, I've got to go through those "4 seasons" in order to ever get to that point. It just doesn't happen in, say, 3 months. Even after 6 months, I'm thinking, "This is REALLY good!!! But, I know I'm only half way through the book. I'm only on page 200 out of 400. Just keep reading and discovering and experiencing." And one day, I finally wake up and realize that I'm in love.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Anew Leaf

Question #47: If we want to compliment an INTP what is the best way to go about it? Ie, how can we speak their language in choosing the right thing to compliment them about, and of what duration is preferred? (I feel like Fe-users can handle/enjoy someone waxing eloquent about their awesomeness much longer than someone like me can. )

And in the spirit of the Ask an INFP thread, here is a sacrificial equation picture for you guys.

I have no idea what it's about, but it looked pretty.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Question #47: If we want to compliment an INTP what is the best way to go about it? Ie, how can we speak their language in choosing the right thing to compliment them about, and of what duration is preferred? (I feel like Fe-users can handle/enjoy someone waxing eloquent about their awesomeness much longer than someone like me can. )

And in the spirit of the Ask an INFP thread, here is a sacrificial equation picture for you guys.

I have no idea what it's about, but it looked pretty.
    Heh. I think it's just about being real. I think individual authenticity is respected by INTP's (and true authenticity looks different for each person). On one hand not fabricating stuff and stroking egos, on the other hand saying whatever is on your mind - whether it's a short sonnet or an epic novel.

Nice math, BTW. I'm still looking it over for accuracy, but yes, it's very nice looking.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    For me, not really "stages" - but it is a gradual progression with key moments that sort of unlock the next door and allow things to develop a bit further. I'd liken it to having someone invite you into their home. They show you the downstairs, the kitchen, the living room, whatever. And you're enamored with what you see. Maybe after a month, you're invited to sit on the couch and watch a movie. You enjoyed it and you're intrigued. A couple months go by, maybe the person offers to show you a bit of the upstairs. You walk to the top of the stairs and you peek around the corner and look down the hallway, but the doors to the rooms are still shut. You don't have access to those rooms yet. You're curious, but it's comfortable for you to go slow, as to not get ahead of yourself. You really enjoy taking your time and letting the relationship unfold as it may. Let nature take it's course. Don't rush, don't push, don't apply pressure. Just watch, observe, interact, learn, experience. Yes, that's a nice upstairs you have (aka, "Little Red Riding Hood, what a wonderful hallway you have").

Then, some months later. "Would you like me to open up one of the upstairs doors and show you the office/guest room?" "Sure, I'd love to see it!" Then, maybe after a year or whatever, all the rooms have been opened and you've seen this person for who they really are. All of the outer layers have been peeled off, due to both people becoming comfortable with each other, and now you "really know the person". I've always said that you need to know a person for 4 seasons. What you see of them in season 1 is going to change a bit in season 2, and season 3 will be even different. By the time you get through season 4, you will have a much different (much more comprehensive and truthful) view of and experience with that person. Sometimes season 1 goes well, but season 2 and 3 just don't work. Sometimes season 1 is OK, but season 2 gets more interesting, season 3 and 4 are unbelievable and you find yourself in a vulnerable position - you're in love and there's nothing you can do about it. It's been cemented beyond your control.

A lot of people will show you a good season 1, but the more time you spend with them, you start seeing some things you know you can't live with. Not flaws - I mean, we all have flaws and we should be able to accept some of these things in people (nobody is perfect) - but like, way too much drama in their lives, huge issues that you know will continually hinder and intrude on the relationship, maybe they have some habits/personality quirks that just sort of turn you off, no chemistry, etc. Sometimes it gets better as the seasons go on, sometimes worse.

But, for me, it's a slow "unfolding" process. Each time you unfold another piece, something new is revealed/discovered. I never want to unfold it all right away. I want it to happen naturally, with time, so that both people can enjoy the process and they can both have their heads on straight (not being lost good decision making). Go ahead and go on the roller coaster ride, enjoy it, laugh, dream, get butterflies in your stomach, the whole bit, but also go at a pace that you keep your head about you and that allows you to discover the other person one small piece at a time. It's a progression. It's a nice, long stroll through the park. It's never a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Oh, and as for being "in love" - to me, if I've gotten through those "4 seasons" and I'm still smitten, then I'd move heaven and earth for the person at that point - so long as they remain loyal and dedicated. If they start undermining me, competing against me, arguing with me, challenging me, being difficult, dramatic, causing trust issues, nagging, chaotic, etc, then we're going to have some problems. Or if they start to change and take things for granted (start being way more demanding after they know I'm in love with them, etc.). But, if you've made it through the 4 seasons and you remain loyal, dedicated, we both look out for each other's best interests, best friends, partners in crime sort of thing, things will be lovely and I'll do everything I can to keep things fresh, vibrant, enjoyable, alive, romantic, I'll have your back in every situation, look out for your interests, etc, etc. But, I've got to go through those "4 seasons" in order to ever get to that point. It just doesn't happen in, say, 3 months. Even after 6 months, I'm thinking, "This is REALLY good!!! But, I know I'm only half way through the book. I'm only on page 200 out of 400. Just keep reading and discovering and experiencing." And one day, I finally wake up and realize that I'm in love.
    <3 Awesome posts.

Thank you for the seasonal tour, felt like I was there. :-)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Come on, this one is too easy, send another!
    Make sure the compliment was earned. Compliment his competence rather than his kindness (I don't really value kindness, I value reciprocity, but maybe that's just me). Minimum duration is preferred, I get tired of saying ''thank you'', ''it's nothing'' quickly. LOL
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I most like being complimented on my ideas. I like to hear that people find my thoughts or perspective interesting, or that they enjoy reading my writing. Other things I like to be complimented about include my honesty, self-awareness, humour, skill, insight....It doesn't really matter to me how it's said, as long as the compliment is about something I actually care about. It's not that I don't care about kindness, etc., but that wouldn't be in my top five sources of personal pride.

I dislike when the complimenter seems to be doing it more to make me feel good, than to express an honest opinion.