• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could count on one hand (ok yes that's the only way I know how) the amount of people who on first meeting thought my INTP liked them. I sometimes go around in a hazmat suit doing damage control. It's a fun game.
There is also (though I'm sure it's not applicable to Saturned :)) a c) your interpretation of disinterest is exactly right. (Seems more likely than actual dislike. At least, while my INTP would rarely say he dislikes someone, he disinterests all over the place.)

He needs to learn to project Fe.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear INTPs,

Why don't you like me?
I think I like you... You're the one who loves/hates INTP men, right?

INTP questions:
I am only going to answer the non-stupid ones that I can add something to.
How does one know you are angry if only an coworker?
People are inclined to believe I'm angry when I'm not. When I'm angry YOU WILL KNOW. If someone evokes a strong emotion in me of any kind, they tend to know about it. I'm more inclined though to find you irritating/dull or else just filter you out. I can work beside someone for months and not recognise them on the street...
I think most INTPs seem to be more mellow on the surface than I, but scratch that surface and you will find exasperation and irritation in bucket loads.
Can I rely upon you to be direct if I request you to be direct and let you know civility is optional?
You can rely on me to be direct even when you really don't want me to be. I am compulsively direct.
How do you like to be directed/managed?
I don't. Less is more.
How would you prefer to learn or be taught?
Are you talking about a child or a co-worker? Even that question is annoying..
How comfortable are you talking about your personal relationships at work and are there boundaries?
There are always boundaries. I seldom if ever talk about personal stuff at work. Or at all.

I have to say I am feeling rather sorry for your INTP colleague. If you think he/she is angry, you are probably right. Smothering an INTP is never a good idea. I think if I worked with you you would drive me nuts and I'd probably hide whenever I saw you coming. If in doubt, reign yourself in, we really appreciate restraint.

Another thing that is pretty annoying is when partners of INTPs join boards to talk EXCLUSIVELY about their mates. I know we're fascinating an' all but you really need to develop some other interests if you want to retain our interest.

sculpting

You can rely on me to be direct even when you really don't want me to be. I am compulsively direct.

Another thing that is pretty annoying is when partners of INTPs join boards to talk EXCLUSIVELY about their mates. I know we're fascinating an' all but you really need to develop some other interests if you want to retain our interest.

does the second example not contradict the first statement?

There are always boundaries. I seldom if ever talk about personal stuff at work. Or at all.

I have to say I am feeling rather sorry for your INTP colleague. If you think he/she is angry, you are probably right. Smothering an INTP is never a good idea. I think if I worked with you you would drive me nuts and I'd probably hide whenever I saw you coming. If in doubt, reign yourself in, we really appreciate restraint.

An odd fact-upon the first five minutes of meeting this INTP, he started to share very specific details about his personal life. Not to a great deal of depth, but definitely placing it on the table as an item of observation.

wrt anger the question was to build context-it would be of value to be able to understand when he is angry/resentful, not that he has had time to get angry just yet.

wrt restraint, you know, this isnt exactly what I observe in all INTPs I have been around in the past-many seem entertained by shared Ne funny stuff, thus we tend to get along okay in the day-to-day. Rough edged Te goes over much worse. My favorite INTPs have been oddly warm and even kinda goofy, a bit funny, and hysterically sarcastic. Their old Fe can be sweet or just sort of goofy or even oddly knowing.

To be honest, I didnt pick the INTP. Actually I would have picked any number of other folks to work with, including a number of really awesome ENFPs who have a great deal of potential. Not because the INTP lacks potential in his own way, but because inevitably, there would be communication issues that complicate getting work done and I'd rather not deal with them. I was placed working with the INTP without my say, as I am "more analytical" that anyone else on the team so they thought it would be a good match.

Observations thus far are that he offended 2/3 of the team and our supervisor by totally being blind to Fi value investments, is oddly like chatting with a seventh grade girl talking shit about other girls in class behind their backs, and can contribute superbly perpendicular observations into group discussions. *shrugs* at least it will be novel. His ideas are very, very good, and introduce a level of heterogeneity into the discussion, so we'll see how it goes.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my boss is an INTP. I really respect him but I have made an error in the past that has haunted me (as an INFP I can be sensitive and very hard on myself).

I guess...I am in mortal anguish about this because I need reassurance. But I get...nothing. :17425:

Anyway, here are my questions:
1. for little mistakes, is it even worth going back and talking about it to the INTP and explaining? I'm thinking no, right?

2. once the issue is solved, does the INTP retain the mistake in his head? from my prior experience with the boss, I think yes, but sometimes he has selective memory.

3. how do you get approval from an INTP? I feel that he really likes other T types. Those trusted in my office are INTPs and an ENTJ. I try masquerading as a T type but I feel like T types never make mistakes?!!

4. should I regularly go to the INTP and give him updates with projects? or is that annoying?

5. [I know the answer to this but...] should one leave you alone after a little mistake or is tiptoeing around after said mistake ridiculous?

Edit: Dont worry about hurting my feelings.

Last edited:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my boss is an INTP. I really respect him but I have made an error in the past that has haunted me (as an INFP I can be sensitive and very hard on myself).

I guess...I am in mortal anguish about this because I need reassurance. But I get...nothing. :17425:

1. for little mistakes, is it even worth going back and talking about it to the INTP and explaining? I'm thinking no, right?

2. once the issue is solved, does the INTP retain the mistake in his head? from my prior experience with the boss, I think yes, but sometimes he has selective memory.

3. how do you get approval from an INTP? I feel that he really likes other T types. Those trusted in my office are INTPs and an ENTJ. I try masquerading as a T type but I feel like T types never make mistakes?!!

4. should I regularly go to the INTP and give him updates with projects? or is that annoying?

5. [I know the answer to this but...] should one leave you alone after a little mistake or is tiptoeing around after said mistake ridiculous?

Ooh, I'm a boss myself of sorts, of about 30 people I guess. This is how I would answer your questions.

1. No, past mistakes are past mistakes, but making sure you don't keep making the same mistakes is pretty important, Everyone makes mistakes, but I hate it when people repeatedly make the same mistake. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to show you learn/improve from your mistakes. I can have a lot of respect for people who learn from their mistakes and grow in their function.

2. Not really an issue, we'll remember it but we won't mull over it or waste any energy on it, like I said, people make mistakes, but if you would make the same mistake again, he will know it and it might turn to frustration. :p

3. T types not making mistakes? HAH! They're just better at hiding it or muffling them away. As for getting approval. Showing the will and spirit to do well in your job is probably all that is needed. Also, INTP's don't mind you asking for their help or explanation (if they have the time for it) if you aren't sure about something. But you'll need to understand what he says and use it to your advantage (if he has something interesting to say) without having to make him repeat himself. But above all, the will to do your job well, and the ability to not completely fail at it (if things don't go perfect, it's not that big of deal as long as things are improving), is probably enough.

4. If you can summirize your progress in a sentence or two, it's probably fine. But the INTP doesn't want to feel like he is doing your job for you and expects you to 'think for yourself' in most cases, and is rather interested in the end result. Unless he is really involved in the process of your job, but then he will be the one looking over your shoulder without you asking him to do it. :p

5. I'd find it annoying if people do that. It's enough to know you realize your mistake and will make sure if doesn't happen again. We don't need apologies in ten fold, in fact, that's a bad idea and an insult to our 'intelligence' (captioned because I don't mean INTP's are particularly intelligent, but we do have an ego concerning the matter, but don't speak of this further, this is our weakest spot and can be used and abused by friend and foe.).

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ooh, I'm a boss myself of sorts, of about 30 people I guess. This is how I would answer your questions.

1. No, past mistakes are past mistakes, but making sure you don't keep making the same mistakes is pretty important, Everyone makes mistakes, but I hate it when people repeatedly make the same mistake. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to show you learn/improve from your mistakes. I can have a lot of respect for people who learn from their mistakes and grow in their function.

2. Not really an issue, we'll remember it but we won't mull over it or waste any energy on it, like I said, people make mistakes, but if you would make the same mistake again, he will know it and it might turn to frustration. :p

3. T types not making mistakes? HAH! They're just better at hiding it or muffling them away. As for getting approval. Showing the will and spirit to do well in your job is probably all that is needed. Also, INTP's don't mind you asking for their help or explanation (if they have the time for it) if you aren't sure about something. But you'll need to understand what he says and use it to your advantage (if he has something interesting to say) without having to make him repeat himself. But above all, the will to do your job well, and the ability to not completely fail at it (if things don't go perfect, it's not that big of deal as long as things are improving), is probably enough.

4. If you can summirize your progress in a sentence or two, it's probably fine. But the INTP doesn't want to feel like he is doing your job for you and expects you to 'think for yourself' in most cases, and is rather interested in the end result. Unless he is really involved in the process of your job, but then he will be the one looking over your shoulder without you asking him to do it. :p

5. I'd find it annoying if people do that. It's enough to know you realize your mistake and will make sure if doesn't happen again. We don't need apologies in ten fold, in fact, that's a bad idea and an insult to our 'intelligence' (captioned because I don't mean INTP's are particularly intelligent, but we do have an ego concerning the matter, but don't speak of this further, this is our weakest spot and can be used and abused by friend and foe.).

Thanks tons, Fluffy!! I will take your advice to heart. :D
I saw him today and he gave me a 'hi!' which totally freaked me out....and I talked to him briefly about another project.

Not sure why I need particular reassurance from him. I think because...I get along with INTPs very well. I really like them. They can be scathingly funny and they have their moments of brilliance.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I read what Fluffy said and I don't think too much needs to be added onto it, but, to expand on 4, Something that might help is having a spreadsheet or something you can pull up if he asks about it.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read what Fluffy said and I don't think too much needs to be added onto it, but, to expand on 4, Something that might help is having a spreadsheet or something you can pull up if he asks about it.

oh my goodness, my INTJ fiance said the same thing.

meaning...that is so T! I love it!!

You and Fluffy are both great. I feel much better now! :happy2:

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Insert big YMMV tags all over this, but here's my perspective.

Depends what you mean by talking about it and explaining. If you mean going back after everyone's cooled down and saying "I did x because y, now I see that z, I won't do it again", that's probably going to be awkward but OK. Going back and going "I'm really upset and oh god this mistake is a terrible thing" would make this INTP feel horribly awkward, guilty, and (worst of all) that I couldn't ever criticise you for anything without putting myself back int hat awkward place, which is kind of INTP hell. Also, it depends on the kind of mistake. If it was, for lack of a better word, a failure of judgement/behaviour, then coming back and saying "I did this because x, I'm sorry, I see why that was bad" is likely to clear the air and help the INTP draw a line under the mess and move on. If it was a competence failure, best just to leave it and make sure you never make that mistake again. Repeating the same mistake certainly drives me insane, but I slip up often enough on things that most people think are basic (times, dates, places...) that I'm prepared to just move on when other people screw up a little, provided they don't make a habit of it.

Yes and no. It won't be forgotten, but it'll probably be quickly forgiven - particularly if you appear to be aware that you made a mistake and why it matters, and don't make a habit of it. Once it's fixed, it's water under the bridge. Interpersonal conflicts, not so much. They'll be moved on from, considered no longer relevant, and they probably will never be brought up again even in the heat of an argument, but they will not be forgotten and they may well smoulder very quietly for years and years. Hurt feelings rarely get allowed any airspace, but they tend to just retreat to a deeper, hidden level rather than actually vanishing.

Haha! We do make mistakes, it's just that competence is so hard-wired into our identities and self-worth that when we slip up we do everything possible to conceal, fix and excuse it. ;) One of the worst things you can probably do to an INTP is make them feel incompetent at something they care about being good at. Conversely, appreciating their contribution - particularly their more unique and off-the-wall contributions and analyses - is a good way of making an INTP feel loved. (Lots of people are inclined to respond to an INTP's abstract analyses and unusual ideas with a :shock: expression, which is sad.)

INTPs who haven't worked on their Fe can be hard work for Feeling types, as half the time we're operating in a kind of theoretical space at at least one remove from the world, so it doesn't even occur to us that what we've just said might be hurtful. This is important: when we're abrasive in casual conversation, as opposed to in an argument, we usually don't mean to be nasty. (We can be extravagantly nasty when we want to be, of course...) A lot of the time, we've just got carried away with our wordplay and crossed the line from witty to biting without realising. Often the best way of responding then is to simply say "I realise you probably didn't mean to be sharp just then, but that was actually quite hurtful/a bit too close to the bone/something I'd rather you didn't joke about if you don't mind." Chances are they'll be mortified and apologise, and they may well remember and carry that mistake for years and years to come, long after everyone else has forgotten it. This particularly works if you frame it as a simple statement and acknowledge that it probably wasn't intended, rather than getting angry or bursting into tears, which can make INTPs flail, panic and go on the defensive. And then accept their apology gracefully and move on. It's our least favourite function, but we do extrovert Feeling, and on the whole we'd actually rather everyone got on well with each other. There's so much less messy drama that way!

INTPs tend to value and respect originality, both of concepts and approach, most especially when they're supported by reasoning. Doesn't necessarily have to be empirical facts, but there needs to be a thought process there. They don't tend to have much time for "I think x because it just *feels* like x", and may well dismiss your idea out of hand (and peg you as fluffy-brained) for the crime of justifying it with feelings. "It just feels that way" can look like a flashing sign saying "You can't analyse this", which is frustrating ;) "I think x but I'm having difficulty working out exactly why" frames what's essentially the same statement in a way that invites T to pick it apart, which is something INTPs are inclined to latch onto. Similarly, you can get INTPs to treat feeling-based issues and ideas seriously, if you can present it in terms of "People tend to do this, which could have this effect on this project, so that's a factor that might need accounting for in practice." Being ready to pick up their analysis or apparently-zany idea and play with it til you see where it might go is a good way of endearing yourself to an INTP co-worker. Conversely, knee-jerk reactions without turning the idea over properly, and slavish adherence to tradition and the "normal way of doing things" are likely to frustrate us.

INTPs do not like being micro-managed, hate being nagged, and they don't like micro-managing much either in my (admittedly limited) experience. They expect people to think for themselves. On the other hand, they tend not to be great at keeping track of things, and people who will do that for them without needing the INTP to chase them are really valuable. This is going to vary hugely, but as a rule of thumb I'd just keep them abreast of major developments that are actually going to have an impact on the INTP. This is harder work for you, but if you can learn to second-guess what they think is important and keep them up to date on that, and have answers ready when they inevitably forget and ask you about it, you'll be worth your weight in gold. Irrelevant information is annoying and makes us think that you can't prioritise, but at the same time, we don't like having to chase the important bits. (INTPs are poster children for why having a good PA is half the battle. ;) )

No. Conspicuous tiptoeing makes us think that you're making a huge deal out of the issue, which is Interpersonal Drama and makes us uncomfortable. Giving us a little space immediately afterwards is fine, but really the very best thing you can do for an INTP after cocking up is do something well. Bonus points if it's something we'd forgotten about! We know that people make mistakes; all you need to do is fix the issue if you can, and reassert your competence. On the other hand, if it's the INTP who's cocked up, I highly recommend a) giving them space b) being normal and friendly when you see them. We hate getting it wrong, and while asking us to cope with lots of people when we're beating ourselves up for Failing is a big ask, evidence that everybody doesn't now despise us is balm. The sooner everyone's acting normally again, the sooner we can draw a line under the nasty messy feelings and move on. :D

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you think global warming will cause insects to increase in size?

That is very well possible. But remember since a good part of their breathing system is based on diffusion, there is a mechanical limit to how big they can get...unless of course if they should develope a new breathing technique or the atmosphere changes condiderably.

http://www.livescience.com/1776-bugs-huge.html

R

Riva

Was the opposable thumb a factor in humans developing a higher intelligence during evolution?

Does God not have an opposable thumb?

Will the promised messiah ever come?

Will the promised messiah have an opposable thumb?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Was the opposable thumb a factor in humans developing a higher intelligence during evolution?

Does God not have an opposable thumb?

Will the promised messiah ever come?

Will the promised messiah have an opposable thumb?

1. Humans are a genetic program created by the fallen angels except the Jews who were created by the super civilization of God so if by opposable thumb you mean the evil people yes they influenced our evolution.

2. If by opposable thumb you mean a dark side then yes and no because the personal God is a being of pure light but the Cosmic God manifests himself throughout all of existence and since existence has a dark side then yes he has an opposable thumb.

3. According to INTJ 5w6 Sir Isaac Newton Jesus will return in 2060 and establish the long lost truth and science and religion will be one and the same.

4. Yes if by opposable thumb you mean his nemesis which is the Antichrist, the false prophet, and the Devil himself.

INTPs if you are mad I answered this question because you don't think I am INTP please do not hesitate to voice your opinions. Thanks!

R

Riva

1. Humans are a genetic program created by the fallen angels except the Jews who were created by the super civilization of God so if by opposable thumb you mean the evil people yes they influenced our evolution.

2. If by opposable thumb you mean a dark side then yes and no because the personal God is a being of pure light but the Cosmic God manifests himself throughout all of existence and since existence has a dark side then yes he has an opposable thumb.

3. According to INTJ 5w6 Sir Isaac Newton Jesus will return in 2060 and establish the long lost truth and science and religion will be one and the same.

4. Yes if by opposable thumb you mean his nemesis which is the Antichrist, the false prophet, and the Devil himself.

INTPs if you are mad I answered this question because you don't think I am INTP please do not hesitate to voice your opinions. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb#Other_animals_with_opposable_digits

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
INTP that is about to lose its job

5RmJ3.jpg

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
do you guys often feel lacking in the interpersonal area? do you unwittingly make people feel bad often?