MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Nice pic, I laughed my ass off lol
    Well, at least i get to keep my neck
    Ehh, who really needs a neck?! Necks are overrated. :workout:
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Ah to ze INTPs who responded positively to ze pony quesshun. Disapproving bunnah glares to ze ones who did not. (you know who you are.)

Question #25: do INTPs like giving ultimatums? Conversely, do they put up with them from other people?
    yes and yes. We are not retarded and let people walk all over us. COME ON! If theres one thing we are its rational. Its rational to give ultimatums if needed for things to move forward and of course we put up with them as if we cant give ultimatums others cant. So ofcourse both can give ultimatums then give it to me and Ill react towards it. I might even respect you more if you give me well thought out ultimatums than if you just let things go or if you try to drag me along.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

What do you get out of studying things that you know most people don't care about? Like philosophy?
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    What do you get out of studying things that you know most people don't care about? Like philosophy?
    That is a very strange and exotic question to INTP ears, I would say!

Whether or not something interests other people is completely irrelevant when it comes to judging how interesting it is to me (or probably any INTP).
    I study what interests me. And quite often it is not that I go out and search for it (that happens too of course) but that it finds me, i.e. I stumble upon something that just catches my attention. It interests me. And then I have to know more about it because of this inner need to understand whatever it is I am facing at the moment. It is an inner urge to find out more and to put the pieces together, to know how they relate to each other and how things work. Pure curiosity rather than careful planning.

Practical use doesn't enter into it.
    At age 31 I still don't have a drivers license (thanks to efficient public transportation I never needed it in all those years) and never learned the rules for any sport. But I can tell you that (by the British legal definition) the difference between a cookie and a cake is that with time the cookie turns soft and the cake turns hard (and that the word cookie comes from the Dutch koekje which means little cake) and that Cardinal Richelieu invented the butter knife because he was afraid of assasins and didn't want anybody armed with a sharp knife to sit at his dinner table!

That's all trivia you say? Well, I have recently had a phase of several weeks where I read up on Wittgenstein and Russell and positivism and even took the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus with me on vacation because I wanted to know more about the limits of reason and the neccessity for axiomatic definitions in the logical groundwork of not only mathematics (a field I know nothing about) but in our perception of the world as a whole. That seems to me to be a question of tremendous importance, or at least a very fascinating one!

Or I might spend hours reading up on the history of, say, Bolivia (just an example, don't test me!). Simply because one thing leads to another. Wikipedia can be as addictive as one of the better seasons of 24 (currently watching the eighth and last one, NO SPOILERS, please!!!).

In brief: I am aware of the canon and sometimes try to brush up on things I know I should know even though they don't interest me. When neccessity demands it, I can aquire practical knowledge. But when I can have things my way, I'll just take in information on whatever tickles my fancy at the moment, almost indiscriminately: high brow, low brow, history, philosophy, science, politics, recipes for tasty deserts, the biography of Alfred Hitchcock and the influence it had on his work and how that work is interpreted by Zizek (in the Lacanian tradition I am only very vaguely familiar with but want to learn more about, now that I mention it!)

Hope this helped!

Okay, bye, gotta go and read up on Lacan.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I don't know what kinds of people you hang out with, but i associate with people who like to ask "why?" and then look for an answer. If someone didn't do that, I would not associate with them. Also, I like to learn. Much like Mr. Herring, I spend much of my time on wikipedia and listening to TED Talks. I'd describe it as intellectual wanderlust. I like to be thinking about something at all times, and my mind likes to wander between subjects. That's the main reason I listen to complicated music; so I have something to think about. It feels kind of hollow to not be thinking of something, but it's so easy to fix, the feeling almost never crops up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk
    i associate with people who like to ask "why?"

INTPs, how do you feel about blowing things up?

my INTP brother and dad both seem to have a penchant for explosions.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

my INTP brother and dad both seem to have a penchant for explosions.
    I don't share that penchant personally. I am more interested in creation. That said, destruction to make way for improved creation can be a very interesting notion. It's where I figuratively walk the thin line. But in general, destruction is not my thing.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think I somehow get smarter.
    I'm not that much into philosophy but I once bought a book called ''The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer; the Art of Controversy'' that showed me how much logic can be twisted to win arguments.
    I like watching History Channel, Discovery Channel and sometimes Animal Planet.
    History is good because you learn what has worked and what hasn't worked in the past, and also explains how society is what it is now and where it is heading. By learning, for example, the function of religion in old civilizations, I'm able draw comparisons with our society and understand it better.
    Studying how animals work is very interesting. You learn about herd behavior, pecking order, all concepts that help explain human pheonomenoms, like bullying for example. It also turned me into an 100% atheist. I won't elaborate on that, as I'm not here to preach.
    I live surrounded by SJs and its hard for me. All my brothers watch are sports and all my parents watch are news and soap operas.
    I'm also wondering what they get from it.
    Perhaps a conversation topic for normal people. Hey, i might need that.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I loved making experiments with gunpowder when i was young.
    I once learned and helped making a mini homemade bomb.
    We used a flat stone, a plastic bag and a lot of gunpowder.
    Then my older friend throwed up it and some time later BOOOOOM!
    The noise was a lot bigger than I expected. We all ran away as fast as we could to avoid problems.
    The real fun was the process of learning and applying and the feeling you get after you sucessfully apply a plan. The ''Got it'' part.
    The blowing part was more like a side effect.
    I think i now get what Jeniffer meant when she mentioned some time ago that an INTP villain would have to be a mad scientist. The evil part would not be a purpose, just a side effect of the experiment.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

INTPs, how would you [try to] entertain a kid?

What would a hypothetical scenario of that nature look like?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The process of studying, analyzing, and designing can be entertaining in and of itself. That being said, whether or not other people care about something is not necessarily a measure of a thing's importance or value, especially when it comes to intellectual matters. Philosophy is actually a great example. I think most idea have no clue how important philosophy is, because they don't see how much of what we take for granted in our practical endeavors exists as a product of philosophical thinking. Lastly, with a lot of these things, again with philosophy in particular, it's something like exercise. It's a process that can improve your cognitive skills, and that can help you with everything, even cooking.
    Go to sleep, iguana.