• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

A

Anew Leaf

Can you provide an example of "super Te directness"? I prefer direct to indirect communication, and I've been called direct myself, but there are things I will not appreciate hearing no matter how they're said. I think the same is true for everyone.

If I get offended at something someone said, it's usually because I think they're making an incorrect or unfair assumption about me (especially about my knowledge or level of understanding) or because they're telling me what to do or acting like they know what's good for me better than I do. Not because they're "too direct." I can't think of anything anyone's said that pissed me off, that would have gotten a better reaction if only they'd been more subtle. (Unless they were so subtle I didn't even pick up on their message...but then what's the point?)

Well, I am meeting with an INTP friend on Tuesday to try and help him with his ex-gf situation. And he's botched it up so bad that there is really only one solution to his mess and I am not sure how receptive he will be to hearing it.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well, I am meeting with an INTP friend on Tuesday to try and help him with his ex-gf situation. And he's botched it up so bad that there is really only one solution to his mess and I am not sure how receptive he will be to hearing it.

Well, if I were in such a situation, all I can say for sure is that being indirect isn't going to help matters. I may just plain not like what you have to say 'cause I don't want to do it, but that'll be the case whether you're direct or indirect.

Looking back on the times people were direct with me, I do appreciate it because I read it as a form of respect, as long as they don't seem condescending or pushy. It's made me think, this person thinks I can handle the truth and they're giving it to me as they see it. I like that.

A

Anew Leaf

Well, if I were in such a situation, all I can say for sure is that being indirect isn't going to help matters. I may just plain not like what you have to say 'cause I don't want to do it, but that'll be the case whether you're direct or indirect.

Looking back on the times people were direct with me, I do appreciate it because I read it as a form of respect, as long as they don't seem condescending or pushy. It's made me think, this person thinks I can handle the truth and they're giving it to me as they see it. I like that.

Ok :) Thank you! I shall go for the direct, here is what I see, route.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok :) Thank you! I shall go for the direct, here is what I see, route.

Yea seriously, man. This is how I approach INTPs and ([MENTION=8187]Xenon[/MENTION]) they do seem to appreciate it. I've seen them show respect back too.

Direct. INTPs can be powerhouses of intellectual horsepower. Kinda like standing up to an ENTJ. They think through your every action and weigh it against their intellect. So just the right amount of boldness should get you there, governed by feeling their level of acceptance :).

Edit: Both will probably respect you yet for different reasons.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Directness has always worked well in my experience with INTPs. Though it took me quite a few years to learn to do this with my husband... I had no idea how hard it was to offend him. Stuff that would make me want to hide under the covers, he just accepts with this nonchalant chillness that I could only dream of attaining.
However there are some things that I know would offend him, unless It seems necessary to bring up I avoid them. We have had some very involved discussions, delicately worked, weaving around issues highly charged for us both. At those times, talking to him can be like dancing through a fucking minefield. The tiniest hint of an an attempt to manipulate his thoughts or actions and *BOOM*

... I don't actually know what if anything I'm responding to here. ah well.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How are INTPs on forgiveness?
I'm good, I think. I try to take into account their historical, their intentions, and how much regard they seem to have for me.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If they say/signal they're sorry it's basically over and done with. Otherwise I can have the unforgiving memory of an elephant.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
That's a bit broad. I'll give the unhelpful answer and say it depends. If we think you're being stupid and you eventually come around on some issue or behavior, I think it's typically met with a considerable amount of understanding, almost in a condescending way. As though you couldn't help yourself, you weren't thinking clearly, etc, so no big deal. You were clearly in the grips of a certain kind of madness.

On the other hand, actual malice or playing with their hearts may result in the "sudden disappearance." Poof. Gone [to Mars]. They'll just close the book, so to speak, and it can seem abrupt because they may not be letting others on to what they're thinking.

I'd say it has a lot to do with the essence of the relationship. INTP men seem to take a startling amount of abuse in relationships but their friendships must be stress free or they don't even bother. Not so sure on the wimminz. They women seem a little more self-assured and better put together with regards to their emotional needs, in my observation.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I tend to forgive easily. I don't forget. People's past behaviour can tell you a lot about them, and this can be important information for interpreting their behaviour in the future, or making decisions about where I stand with them.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Directness has always worked well in my experience with INTPs. Though it took me quite a few years to learn to do this with my husband... I had no idea how hard it was to offend him. Stuff that would make me want to hide under the covers, he just accepts with this nonchalant chillness that I could only dream of attaining.
However there are some things that I know would offend him, unless It seems necessary to bring up I avoid them. We have had some very involved discussions, delicately worked, weaving around issues highly charged for us both. At those times, talking to him can be like dancing through a fucking minefield. The tiniest hint of an an attempt to manipulate his thoughts or actions and *BOOM*

... I don't actually know what if anything I'm responding to here. ah well.

Quoted for truth. ...Even if it doesn't respond directly. :)

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a bit broad. I'll give the unhelpful answer and say it depends. If we think you're being stupid and you eventually come around on some issue or behavior, I think it's typically met with a considerable amount of understanding, almost in a condescending way. As though you couldn't help yourself, you weren't thinking clearly, etc, so no big deal. You were clearly in the grips of a certain kind of madness.

That seems to be what I have observed. Most everything seems to be no big deal and shrugged off. Unless of course it's not.
With my INTP the only things that have brought that on (that I can think of) were his mother's attempts to force him to do things and telling him what he should do with his life, all wrapped in an attractive holier than thou attitude. (I make her sound worse than she is, but she really does piss him off. She's ISTJ and they clash clash clash.) The other is my mother (ESFJ), but that is slightly different. I don't think he will ever, ever forgive her because of what she does to me. Oh yea, and there was recently this dude who got overly friendly with me and he went total macho alpha male. It was quite a stunning explosion. I don't think forgiveness will be forthcoming for that guy either.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How are INTPs on forgiveness?

Forgiveness may be quite easy in some circumstances. Accidents, misunderstandings, and carelessness will happen. I'm more concerned with patterns. When something happens, I'll be alert to see if it happens again and why. If it continues, then I have to decide if and how I want to preserve the relationship. Contact may continue but I will place more distance between that person and myself...exiled to the outer orbits in a way.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs and giving compliments?
In my experience they're rare as a purple spotted hyena... of course this means when one of the elusive beasts is spotted, it's extra special.

Is it that you think your view is apparent so you don't want to say it? You don't even consciously think about it? It's awkward?

Last night I received one of these inimitable gems, something I had no idea he thought. I want more! :blush:

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In my experience they're rare as a purple spotted hyena... of course this means when one of the elusive beasts is spotted, it's extra special.

Is it that you think your view is apparent so you don't want to say it? You don't even consciously think about it? It's awkward?

For me it's a combination of obliviousness and awkwardness. I never verbalize most of the positive things I think about others; it isn't the natural thing for me to do. I'm very reserved in general and it's not like me to frequently think about how I can make people feel good or how to communicate that I like someone. I have to consciously push myself to do it - catch myself thinking something positive about someone and tell myself, "Oh there's a complimentary thought. I should consider like, saying that. Or something."

Also, I don't feel very smooth about doing it. I easily feel like I'm going overboard if I do something to communicate warmth or friendliness. It seems that what feels normal for me comes off as aloof to others, and what reads as normal for others feels like overkill to me. I also hate sounding cliched and want to say something honest and specific when I express my appreciation, but that often isn't easy to do. So I end up saying nothing.

Enjoy the ones you get. If you get to see one complimentary thought, there are more somewhere. (Reminds me of cockroaches. I wish there were something else to compare this to.)

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Last night I received one of these inimitable gems, something I had no idea he thought. I want more! :blush:

I just don't normally think about it. I don't hang out with crappy people. I normally assume that my friend/mate knows that I think they are awesome. Otherwise, why on earth would I be there? I also feel somewhat awkward giving (and receiving) compliments.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me it's a combination of obliviousness and awkwardness. I never verbalize most of the positive things I think about others; it isn't the natural thing for me to do. I'm very reserved in general and it's not like me to frequently think about how I can make people feel good or how to communicate that I like someone. I have to consciously push myself to do it - catch myself thinking something positive about someone and tell myself, "Oh there's a complimentary thought. I should consider like, saying that. Or something."

This pretty much exactly how I imagine my INTP thinks about it. (Autonomy can go :censored: itself. He's mine, all mine! hate using that term. But really what do I say? *my* husband, *my* INTP, fucking hell. That-INTP-guy-who-shares-my-life-and-has-twinned-his-way-through-my-heart-but-is-still-his-own-person-and-I-totally-love-that is too bloody long.)

Also, I don't feel very smooth about doing it. I easily feel like I'm going overboard if I do something to communicate warmth or friendliness. It seems that what feels normal for me comes off as aloof to others, and what reads as normal for others feels like overkill to me. I also hate sounding cliched and want to say something honest and specific when I express my appreciation, but that often isn't easy to do. So I end up saying nothing.

This is creepy.

(...Because it's so similar sounding to MY INTP... damn msg boards and their ambiguity. I hate feeling like I have to explain myself. Now I've gone and over explained. AAaaaahhhhh :imok:)

Enjoy the ones you get. If you get to see one complimentary thought, there are more somewhere. (Reminds me of cockroaches. I wish there were something else to compare this to.)

Yea I see enough glimmers to know they're there. :)
(I am also struggling to find a comparison that doesn't involve pests... my brain is cycling through heaps but all are nasty, or lame. Sorry. :unsure:)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Agree with the other posters. Compliments are a-w-k-w-a-r-d. And if I've already told you I like you, why must I keep telling you? I don't like to be redundant. Starts to sound trite and therefore cheap/meaningless.

Throwing it back at you, do you feel compliment-starved by your INTP? Does it make you feel insecure?

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agree with the other posters. Compliments are a-w-k-w-a-r-d. And if I've already told you I like you, why must I keep telling you? I don't like to be redundant. Starts to sound trite and therefore cheap/meaningless.

Throwing it back at you, do you feel compliment-starved by your INTP? Does it make you feel insecure?

It used to bother me, before I understood him better. I'm cool with it now :)

*After finishing playing a new piece on the piano and getting no feedback*

"What do you think of that song?"
"It's nice."
"It's a new one."
"Ah. Cool."
"How did you like it, what did you think? Tell me truly darling. I want the deepest thoughts of our heart. What hidden emotions lurk beneath that cool exterior. Give me a damn compliment."
Then I would likely sit on his lap and tease him until he tells me something. This normally works. :wink:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Compliments make you feel what? Valued?
Which kind do you most appreciate and in which circumstances?