• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi other INTPs,

What are your thoughts on lingerie? Do you think it is important? Does it indeed add more to the experience if the woman is wearing nice lingerie?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi other INTPs,

What are your thoughts on lingerie? Do you think it is important? Does it indeed add more to the experience if the woman is wearing nice lingerie?

I love lingerie, stocking, jarretels and such. They absolutely serve no practical purpose, but they look so superb! It's intruiging.

But I don't think it's important. And it's blasphemy if the lingerie stays on.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I thnk INTP's are more concerned with self-image. If an INTP loses, he might be quite harsh on himself, if he wins, he'll feel good about himself, but it's unlikely he will look down on his opponent because of it. I can't remember ever looking down on someone just because I won a game. We're too selfish for that.

Well, self-focused.

Typically I only ever remembering having that response if it was triggered -- i.e., someone had been a total braggart, finally I got sick of it and tested them, and they ended up being exactly what I had thought to be. So the response inside is me is less about whether they lost or not, and more about what a promoter of falsehood they are about themselves to themselves and others, and now what I saw to be true has been shown to be true. Confirmation of my thoughts and perceptions, or denial of them.

Interesting. I'd only ever heard this trait in relation to INFP's, yet is something I can largely attest to myself. Like yourself, competition, to me, has never really been about boasting/bragging or a means for which to display aptitude to others, but more of a means to test myself and my abilities based on some arbitrary standard of measure, and while besting someone in some sort of contest doesn't in turn elevate me over them in my mind, I think the effect mentioned in allegorystory's question somewhat happens inadvertently. I mean, as I said earlier, I don't care about the competition in relation to the other person, but I expect that if I have a certain level of proficiency in an area that I should be able to rise to the occasion, but in relation to the other person, if I expect to win, on a subconscious level, what does that say about how I view their aptitude in relation to my own? How can I truly say I view them as an equal if this perfectionistic mentality expects nothing less than to best them as a testament to itself?

Yeah. For me, it is typically a self-test. I don't get a lot out of putting someone else down, it just seems so irrelevant to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What usually triggers bouts of depression for you? How long do they last? Does it usually dissipate on its own or do you have to be proactive about bringing it to an end?

- Feeling stuck and not having enough of a preference to change anything, so big-picture wise it all seems hopeless.
- Noting having all the information and not having any way to get it, in order to reach conclusions.
- Dealing with people I don't feel like fighting with but not being able to find any other way around it.
- Feeling trapped in something or somewhere, with no recourse.

Typically either the situation has to change or I have to change it. I've learned to be more proactive and how to make decisions when I don't have a preference and/or don't want to override other people's opinions in a situation / assert myself, but it took me a long time.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi other INTPs,

I liken it to wrapping on presents. And it has similar caveats. A little goes a long way, it should be tastefully done, and it shouldn't be so elaborate you have trouble getting at the gift.

Leaving the analogy behind - it has useful social applications. There was one person of my acquaintance who will wear a certain style of stockings when she wants to move my attention in a, ahem, certain direction.

All in all I'd say that lingerie is a net positive. But it’s not necessary and its highly contextual – sometimes a nice set of cutoffs is as sexy as any silk. With lingerie there is the suggestion of pre mediation (which again can be great) but there is something to say about spontaneity as well.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Do you think you would ever look down on someone who lost against you in an intellectual match of wits (provided they didn't make a complete ass of themselves)?

No I tend to think that there's always somewhere one can improve oneself, so I look at it more from the frequency of incompetence than the given situation when figuring out whether people are just plain idiot or just ignorant in a specific instance.

But when people assume they know best, because of rethoric or by using a dismissive assertive tone, I look down on them. This does not mean I do not enjoy assertive people or dont use it myself, but using it as the primary focus in a discussing turns me the wrong way. And there will be two outcomes; walking away because its not worth my time or I become very rigid and defend the counterpoint, even if I dont agree with it. Theses, antitheses and syntheses.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
We're too selfish for that.

Interesting you said selfish. Was that mostly in jest?

I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just saying I see the effect previously mentioned as largely inevitable in some respects being that a performance standard exists. To be disappointed with a loss implies that one initially thought they had a realistic chance of winning, and that you just failed to achieve that result. It seems as thought it could be, at the very least, indirectly perceived that it's somewhat dependent question of can you really view someone as an equal if you expect to best them in contest.

I think this is a very good point I guess I have a hard time overlooking. Is "looking down on someone" on this instance a matter of personal perception ("oh, I don't feel like I'm looking down on them so I must not be") or a matter of it being the nature of the beast ("if, when I started, I expected criteria for winning to be meeting and exceeding a performance standard, and I've won, doesn't that essentially mean I'm better than them? We can't both be equal in this situation and if I hope to be an equal then I ought to reevaluate what winning this contest means to and about me"). I think it's a tricky situation to judge.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love lingerie, stocking, jarretels and such. They absolutely serve no practical purpose, but they look so superb! It's intruiging.

But I don't think it's important. And it's blasphemy if the lingerie stays on.

Oh, no. Some of the lingerie can stay on...;)

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hi other INTPs,

Are handcuffs and gags lingerie?

More seriously, I think lingerie would probably indicate seriousness and dedication. It's putting effort into something that one wouldn't necessarily have to put effort into but is important to everyone involved. That's usually good, right?

Speaking as an 18 year old virgin, so take it as you may.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi other INTPs,

YES PLZ

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting you said selfish. Was that mostly in jest?

Yes and no. We are after all first and for most very centered around ourselves. But to keep a good perspective on things, we also can't simply ignore the rest. So I like reminding myself of my own nature in order to keep perspective.

Oh, no. Some of the lingerie can stay on...;)

It depends. I quite like the 'completely' part of being completely naked together.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
psssssst stockings are AWESOME and should definitely stay on!

I agree on the first part, but disagree on the second.

Leg warmers and bunny ears can stay on though.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi other INTPs,

I've only very recently became interested in it. Before I was pressured to wear it and refused. I like it now very much. I like the way it feels and I like the way I look in it.

Not sure if it is important. Men seem to like/enjoy it a lot.

Add more to the experience? Probably.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
psssssst stockings are AWESOME and should definitely stay on!

Yes to that.

Corsets with mile-long laces...love them. Too bad that quality ones are so expensive. I'd have a dozen of those things.

A

Anew Leaf

Dear INTPs,

Do you appreciate directness? Even if it's super Te directness?

~Saturned

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Dear INTPs,

Do you appreciate directness? Even if it's super Te directness?

~Saturned

Can you provide an example of "super Te directness"? I prefer direct to indirect communication, and I've been called direct myself, but there are things I will not appreciate hearing no matter how they're said. I think the same is true for everyone.

If I get offended at something someone said, it's usually because I think they're making an incorrect or unfair assumption about me (especially about my knowledge or level of understanding) or because they're telling me what to do or acting like they know what's good for me better than I do. Not because they're "too direct." I can't think of anything anyone's said that pissed me off, that would have gotten a better reaction if only they'd been more subtle. (Unless they were so subtle I didn't even pick up on their message...but then what's the point?)