User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    I'd like to compose an original symphony but I'm crap at writing enough suitable melodies and linking them together. What do you INTPs think I should do?
    I totally have composition experience. Focus on harmonies, or just fiddle on a piano until you like what comes out. I usually just take one motive and add some repetition and harmony. The rest comes pretty naturally. It helps to have an in-depth knowledge of music theory.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    That's EXACTLY how I see those 2 types. I know ENTJ's and an ENFJ. She (the ENFJ) is literally just a "sweeter" version of the ENTJ's. She's still all up in your grill about what she wants done or accomplished, but instead of "do this now" it's, "can you please do this now? c'mon please?" It's a little more convincing, but I still have to say no sometimes cuz "you aint the boss of me".
    I will only get up in yp grill if I am desperate or get really anxious about something.

A random example,
    Me: (a month ahead of the deadline).: INTP teacher, Would you mind writing me a recommendation letter?
    INTP: Sure... no prob.
    Me: Thanks. It's due Feb.1.
    Me (two weeks later):I just wanted to remind of the deadline and can come see you next week not regarding the letter?
    INTP: Sure

A week later...

A bunch of small talk about future goals and random ideas (trusting him to write the letter for next week)

Then, INTP goes, "So when is the deadline? Isn't it the 26th?
    Me (mentally): OH MY GOD. it's a good thing I came.
    Me: No.... it's due next week.

I feel bad that he was forced to have me for three classes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I'd like to compose an original symphony but I'm crap at writing enough suitable melodies and linking them together. What do you INTPs think I should do?
    Buy a Mac. Open Garage Band application. Play. Enjoy your new symphony!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I totally have composition experience. Focus on harmonies, or just fiddle on a piano until you like what comes out. I usually just take one motive and add some repetition and harmony. The rest comes pretty naturally. It helps to have an in-depth knowledge of music theory.
    Ah, the traditional approach. By the way, what techniques do you use in terms of motivic development in the context of longer compositions? Have you read any really good books on composition.

I do have a couple of books that I am reading (on harmony, counterpoint and midi orchestration), but these are based on traditional techniques.

I'm not suggesting 'press a button' algorithmic composition either, in case anyone was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Buy a Mac. Open Garage Band application. Play. Enjoy your new symphony!
    I did say original. Which means no prerecorded loops.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Ah, the traditional approach. By the way, what techniques do you use in terms of motivic development in the context of longer compositions? Have you read any really good books on composition.

I do have a couple of books that I am reading (on harmony, counterpoint and midi orchestration), but these are based on traditional techniques.

I'm not suggesting 'press a button' algorithmic composition either, in case anyone was wondering.

I did say original. Which means no prerecorded loops.
    It is original. You create your own music. http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INTP

If I wanted to write crap, I'd pull a Schoenberg.
    Oh and 'silence' was not John Cage's music. Ambient noise was. But I live on a main road, so my ambience sucks.
    Schoenberg might sound crap but all his music is very delicately and precisely put together . And go play your silence somewhere else!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Alright I've got a question from iNTP to INTPs:

Do people sometimes think that you're arguing with them when in fact you were only justifying your actions (in a very un-argumentative way)? I don't know how to deal with such people anymore.
    yes it is quite annoying. Only thing more annoying is people that talk or comment on everything because they feel they are allowed to and then start throwing random generalizations in peoples faces. Talk moderate, not excessively.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    INTPs. How does your current/near future job match up to your dream job? Is there such thing as a dream job out there for you?
    No not really, I think learning is my only true job. All other is to live comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Question #6: If you have your Ti shield up, how can we convince you to lower your defenses so that we can attack with lots of hugs?
    Im as egocentric as anyone, just tell me you find me interesting and compliment me and I'll be fluffy like a marshmellow and not treelike when you hug me.

Anew Leaf

Question #8: Can an INTP engineer a rock so big that he can't lift it, even with the help of machinery?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Okay, when I say "composition experience", I mean I've composed like three 2:00-4:00 classical pieces. I'm a senior in high school and took some music theory classes. I haven't read any books on composition because I'm suspicious of people telling me how to do creative things. I do things by feel and tend to follow my nose when picking out motives. As far as developing them, I really just fiddle around until I like how it sounds. Chord structures are easy to base around a melody. Nobody can really tell you how to compose, because being creative, it requires some inspiration and feelings and whatnot.

Saturned: Are you aware that INTPs are not necessarily deities?