• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you think there is a fourth dimension, if so do you believe there are beings living there?
I think multiple dimensions may exist. Einsten had good points for the theory. I also keep wondering if there could be new worlds inside black holes. If these worlds do exist, there's a chance that there are beings living there, but it would be random.
Do you think you have the patience and endurance to live forever?
Human beings aren't wired for that. I'd probably run out of intellectual stimulation and end up depressed.
to add to this, do you think that if you lived forever that the brain would eventually run out of space to record memories and learn? or do you think information be forgotten as you continue to learn?
Second option.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question #49: What is a question we should be asking you guys? :D
How about ''What is a question we should be asking you guys?'' (Whoa, a paradox :laugh:)
Any that doesn't necessarily involve feelings.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
to add to this, do you think that if you lived forever that the brain would eventually run out of space to record memories and learn? or do you think information be forgotten as you continue to learn?

Probably, I think it would take a long time and it wouldn't necessarily be the oldest information that was forgotten. There's only so many possible configurations producible within our brains. They couldn't store or represent everything. I doubt storage efficiency is even as much as 5%.

While overwriting old information would be more optimal than halted learning, I can't see it as being a trait that was selected for or had any utility yet. As such, it's doubtful that the brain is structured to do such yet.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
you think there is a fourth dimension, if so do you believe there are beings living there?

spacetime could be seen as space being in three dimensions and time being the fourth dimension in it.

in some level, maybe human consciousness could be seen as being in some other dimension. i dont mean it like being some supernatural thing, but its something that happens because of physiological things, but still you cant see it being any particular physiological thing. it come from physical matter, yet its not physical, its physical taken to another level and that another level could imo be seen as another dimension

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question #49: What is a question we should be asking you guys? :D

IMHO, people should be asking us for perspective, for new ways of looking at things. We spend so much time thinking about things - it's just what we do - and so that's what we have to offer. We slice things up and we analyze situations from every single angle. That's why we're such pests and it's why we like to play devil's advocate, because we can always see "another perspective". If you argue A, I'll argue B. If you argue B, I'll argue C. If you argue Q, I'll argue W. So, yeah, not everybody wants our perspective and not everyone needs our perspective. But, I think that's what I offer people. A few of my friends call me for my perspective on things. I have an ISTJ friend who comes to me when things aren't going good in his life and he picks my brain for a new way of looking at things. So, yeah, we may not be a lot of things, but we certainly can give you a fresh new perspective on your situation. At least I know I enjoy doing that.

The "side effect" of asking for our perspective, however, is that you're most likely going to get a lecture. If you're going to ask our perspective, be ready and willing to sit down and listen for a bit, because we will have a lot to say on the issue. We will really lay it out for you and explain the why's and the who's and the "how come's" and the "maybe this's" and they "maybe that's". It's only because we care enough to give you our full perspective and viewpoint. We're not trying to bore you. So, if you're not ready to hear the Ti analysis, might be best not to ask. ;)

With my ISFP ex, she'd ask my opinion on a situation that was bothering her, so I'd get 2 or 3 minutes into my explanation, and she'd start checking out mentally. So, I'd stop explaining. But, it was frustrating, cuz I knew she only heard 20% of what I had to say/offer in the way of perspective. So, off she'd go, to solve her problem, with only a fraction of my input. And when she wouldn't get the results she wanted, she'd come back and go, "OK, now I have another problem." And I'd think, "Yeah, I was going to cover that last time we talked, if only you had been willing to hear me out."

We can be complicated and complex, but I do think that's one of the best things we can offer the world - is a full analysis and well-thought-out perspective on any given situation.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Is it possible for an INTP to become an extrovert?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I have no idea. I'd like to think that personalities and the way people function in the world are fluid and changeable - that we can modify our behavior or sometimes grow into something a bit different than we once were. But, the thought of me being a true extrovert is something I can't really identify with that well at this point. I'd be shocked if I ever become one in my lifetime. But, I won't rule it out. How's that for a 2-sided answer. Yes, it's possible, but no, it won't ever happen.

BTW, what do Jung and the others say about this? I have no idea what the prevailing theory is on how much personality types can change over time.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To my fellow INTPs, what happens when you lose your detachment?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

1. Detachment - see NT handbook

2. No detachment
a) positive emotion - becomes a naive teddy bear and therefor very vulnerable (I think Salomé once mentioned that, due to their lack of practice, INTPs are like emotional dodos when they care); this is fun as long as it doesn't feel like you have lost control
b) negative emotion - suddenly and unexpectedly goes through the roof, is very well aware that this is irrational and becomes angry at self for being like this

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I almost lose my ability to provide a cold, hard analysis of things. And sometimes I lose my ability to think very clearly and in a focused way. When I am detached, things are very clear for me. Ti is very clear - things just "make sense" in my head when I'm detached. I can only do my best analyzing/thinking when I am detached. When I am forced to engage with people, the water becomes a bit muddy. Ne and Fe come to the forefront and Ti doesn't really know what to do with itself at that point. I almost have to check Ti at the door when I'm interacting with people. So, with Ne/Fe in charge, you sort of become this big ball of fluff that gives vague answers, tosses around vague ideas, doesn't seem to have any structure or any direction with the things you are talking about, etc.

Sometimes it's fun to be in that "aimless" mode of fluff, but only for relatively short periods of time. Then I want to get back to Ti, where everything sort of "makes sense" in my head again.

If an INTP seems like a fumbling idiot, it's because he has checked his Ti at the door and he is only using Ne/Fe. On the other hand, if he is using his intellect and speaking intelligently about things and has some structure to what he is saying, then he is using some combination of either Ti-Ne or Ti-Fe. Ne and Fe are hard for me to "put into words" - they're mainly ideas and feelings and stuff that are hard to verbalize. But, if Ti is involved, it can bring structure to Ne/Fe and Ti allows the INTP a way to communicate effectively or in a linear way.

Fe might think, "I want this person to know how much they mean to me."
Fe by itself might say something like, "You're really great." Well, that sounds really lame and has no structure to it.
So, Ti will get together with Fe and say something like this: You know, every time we hang out, I have a really good time with you. We should hang out more often.

Ti brings structure and clarity to the thoughts of Ne/Fe. But, in order to do this, you have to sort of "detach" in a way. Like, I almost have to forget that the person is there and climb back in my head to form the right words. I wonder if other INTP's relate to this. It's a trip.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Yes. I do. Absolutely.

When I am detached, I can see clearly. Like INTPness, things make sense. When I start to lose my detachment, it is like gradually losing focus. Things become blurred. I cannot make out the detail. I make mistakes because I cannot see. (I'm assuming this is the same sort of panic people feel when they have really bad eyesight and they can't find their corrective lenses?) If it gets really extreme--and it has--then I just become totally blind. I am groping in the dark with an undeveloped sense of touch and sound. I make mistakes and when my detachment is restored, I feel a sense of horror and shame over what happened during my period of blindness.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^Yes. I do. Absolutely.

When I am detached, I can see clearly. Like INTPness, things make sense. When I start to lose my detachment, it is like gradually losing focus. Things become blurred. I cannot make out the detail. I make mistakes because I cannot see. (I'm assuming this is the same sort of panic people feel when they have really bad eyesight and they can't find their corrective lenses?) If it gets really extreme--and it has--then I just become totally blind. I am groping in the dark with an undeveloped sense of touch and sound. I make mistakes and when my detachment is restored, I feel a sense of horror and shame over what happened during my period of blindness.

That's a great way of putting it. I relate to the bolded part as well. Going to a big party, for example, I sometimes feel like a fish completely out of water. But, I have no choice but to plug through it and get through the event. Even though my vision is impaired and I don't feel like I'm communicating as well as I could be or should be. I might even say some things I don't really want to say or didn't mean to say. And then afterwards, when I'm detached again, I might think, "Why did I say that? What a moron!?"

A silly example is today at lunch I went into a sandwich place and I always order the same thing: a "number 4". Well, the girl handed me a number 4 on rye bread. I said, "I didn't order rye bread. I want it on the regular bread that it always comes on." She said, "I thought you said "on rye". I said, "No, I never even said the word 'rye' when I ordered." She goes, "OK, no problem, we'll fix it for you" and she went to throw it away and start over. I should have just left it at that and had my new sandwich made. But, because my "vision was impaired" (I wasn't detached), I stupidly said, "You know, just give it back to me. I'll try it on rye today. Maybe I'll like it." So, she gave the rye sandwich back to me and I walked out thinking, "Why the heck did I just say that? I don't even like rye. What an idiot! Now I just ruined my own lunch." I don't know why I do things like this other than to say that the "clarity" and the "precision of thought" of Ti tends to abandon me when I'm interacting with people. It becomes a big muddy mess. It's strange.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

no, but enough weed + alcohol and i might sound like ESFJ on amphetamines and might do that even around strangers

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I stupidly said, "You know, just give it back to me. I'll try it on rye today. Maybe I'll like it." So, she gave the rye sandwich back to me and I walked out thinking, "Why the heck did I just say that? I don't even like rye. What an idiot! Now I just ruined my own lunch." I don't know why I do things like this other than to say that the "clarity" and the "precision of thought" of Ti tends to abandon me when I'm interacting with people. It becomes a big muddy mess. It's strange.

Did you at least find out you maybe kinda liked it? Enough that it didn't ruin your lunch?

N

NPcomplete

That's a great way of putting it. I relate to the bolded part as well. Going to a big party, for example, I sometimes feel like a fish completely out of water. But, I have no choice but to plug through it and get through the event. Even though my vision is impaired and I don't feel like I'm communicating as well as I could be or should be. I might even say some things I don't really want to say or didn't mean to say. And then afterwards, when I'm detached again, I might think, "Why did I say that? What a moron!?"

A silly example is today at lunch I went into a sandwich place and I always order the same thing: a "number 4". Well, the girl handed me a number 4 on rye bread. I said, "I didn't order rye bread. I want it on the regular bread that it always comes on." She said, "I thought you said "on rye". I said, "No, I never even said the word 'rye' when I ordered." She goes, "OK, no problem, we'll fix it for you" and she went to throw it away and start over. I should have just left it at that and had my new sandwich made. But, because my "vision was impaired" (I wasn't detached), I stupidly said, "You know, just give it back to me. I'll try it on rye today. Maybe I'll like it." So, she gave the rye sandwich back to me and I walked out thinking, "Why the heck did I just say that? I don't even like rye. What an idiot! Now I just ruined my own lunch." I don't know why I do things like this other than to say that the "clarity" and the "precision of thought" of Ti tends to abandon me when I'm interacting with people. It becomes a big muddy mess. It's strange.

Hahah I have agreed to a lot of stupid things because I was trying to be nice and friendly (and had to shut down the cold voice of reason in my head for a while).

How do you ppl handle your feelings?

When the feelings are positive, I ride the wave. When they are negative, I shut down or go rant to someone I trust and who'll understand. Most times, I remove myself from the situation that's causing those feelings to reflect on what happened and possibly cry a little bit.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
How do you ppl handle your feelings?

I spend an excessive amount of time alone in my room listening to whatever music fits the feeling (assuming negative). When positive, I ride the wave like thealchemist, and hang out with friends, etc.

I stupidly said, "You know, just give it back to me. I'll try it on rye today. Maybe I'll like it." So, she gave the rye sandwich back to me and I walked out thinking, "Why the heck did I just say that? I don't even like rye. What an idiot! Now I just ruined my own lunch." I don't know why I do things like this other than to say that the "clarity" and the "precision of thought" of Ti tends to abandon me when I'm interacting with people. It becomes a big muddy mess. It's strange.

This happens to me frequently too. When I'm under pressure (or feel like I'm under pressure), I tend to put other's needs above mine. I'd feel bad about asking the employee to remake my sandwich and wasteful for having it thrown away. Additionally, when things like that happen, I panic a little and say whatever will make the situation go away the fastest.