User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Mother of NT's

MBTI
    INTj

ISTJ mother: Extremely strong, loyal and self sacrificing but can be quite cold and rigid. She mellowed considerably later in life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

My mother is an INTJ.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Wow seems like a lot of NTs have SFJ mothers.

Mine is an ISFJ!

MBTI
    ENTP

LOL SJ = 55% of the population... it would be surprising if they didn't show up to an extent....

It does seem like most NT mammas are pretty stronge people..... NF mums are different, seem more emo

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

ISFJ mother, about as S and about as F as you can get.

Demure, very very soft-spoken, very very kind, does anything for anyone, really good at meeting people's tangible needs (once she figures out what they are, she can botch that sometimes badly).

She was a registered nurse for her entire career and likes to take care of people. She's extremely naive and gullible and has been taken in numerous times by people, she just believes whatever she is told, if they are someone she is supposed to trust.

The ways I am really like her are that I have a very quiet, unobtrusive, non-disruptive side and a very strong sense of what is appropriate and required in particular social contexts. Any boldness in manner I show here is something I developed over the last 4-5 years or so when I really have allowed myself to openly differentiate and really be "me."

She does not understand my thinking, nor more intuition and creativity. She's country Baptist and follows authority, I'm (Christian) agnostic and rationalist.

Our point of connection is really just chatting about family and what she and I have been up to; it took me years to learn how to do it; and I enter her world because it is nearly impossible for her to enter mine, she just doesn't have a brain wired to understand anything I think, it seems, and it usually just disturbs her if I try.

I think this impacted me by giving me a sense that (1) protective forces can be benevolent, with good motivations but (2) unhelpful and distant/unreachable. I love her for what she did do right, but I wish sometimes, well, a lot of the time, that I had had different parents. I pretty much parented myself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

INFP (tested) mother to my ENTP self.

One thing that I really developed, and well, was Ne. Hers was off-the chain, in a whimsical, dreamy-like manner, and coupled that with my dad's tertiary Ne (ESTJ), which was more on the edgier, trickster (and practical) side......my Ne got fed, well, and often.

There was a lot of reading in my childhood, storybooks galore. She read to me, when I was eating (to get me to take a bite), on the bus to school, to grandma's house, when I was falling asleep, reading, reading......

We'd go on the adventures that was premised in the book, and 'make it our own'.

She also was into putting me in all different classes as she could schedule in, that let me express myself in as many ways as possible. I was put in singing (that didn't last long, as per my talents), dancing, drawing/art classes, and, swimming classes.

Was a disciplinarian but wasn't very consistent with it. I remember a few times, I'm crying getting disciplined, and she is too.

She can be quite judgemental, and sometimes irrational, if she gets stuck in one of her Fi-motivated stance, but, she's really one of the gentlest person I know (and my friends, or those who met her, would agree). It's easy to sucker in her morality, so even if she is judgemental, and then she feels really horrible about herself. She's a moral rational.

She is not good at standing up for herself, unless it's really important (then, she's fierce); in that, for little things, she knows full well what the other is doing, but will get 'walked-over' by others.

She is very aware of people's feelings at the individual level. She'll always give thoughtful cards to me, every birthday, and there must be my favourite food made on my birthday, and a cake (no matter how old, every birthday).

Way too head-in-clouds, like, coming back from a party, wearing two different shoes and not even noticing (one her own, the other, another random person's...not even the same size really), finding weird stuff in the fridge where it doesn't belong cuz she accidently left it there, sometimes forgets to even look both ways at the road before crossing.....

Yet, she's exceptionally smart, not street-smart at all (that's my dad), but, book-smart. She excelled in school, throughout all her life, up until her PhD.

She loves looking for the charm in life, in others. She's very into spirituality, not just dogmatic religion, but, philosophical sprituality, she loves talking about that kind of stuff.

To get a hint of her personality, one of her all-time fave movie is: Little Miss Sunshine.

She's my most favourite person in the whole wide world. Couldn't have asked for a better mom.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

ENFJ or ENTJ. Probably the former, but the latter would make more sense as she's married to my ISFJ dad. Actually, maybe ENTJ.

One of those.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INTP

ISFJ, I think, though she has zero interest in taking the test.

My mom is very introverted, very sweet. When you're sick, there's no better person in the world to take care of you. She is very innovative with practical concerns--if something breaks and we don't have a part to fix it, she can probably rig something creative up to do the job.

My mom doesn't always understand me, but she never, ever said anything negative about a hobby or a style of dress or anything of mine when I was growing up. She always let me find my way, with my own personality. She'd always listen patiently when I was doing my NT information dump thing about the new thing I was interested in--I always assumed she was fascinated, but now that I'm older, I'm sure she was just listening because she knew it was important to me.

The negative is that she can be very quietly disapproving in certain areas, and it's as good as if she was yelling it. Her disapproval weighs very heavily on me, even as an adult. She's also capable of being kind of self-righteous, which is really annoying, and is something that she's mostly only developed in the past few years. I blame Dr. Phil, which she watches regularly. :-P Though I think we all go through stages where we go to extremes, and then later we realize it and balance it out again; I know I have.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    ISFJ. Caring, easily scared, does not like things that are too new, likes people, ignorant about the world, can be crazy if some expectations are not met but generally she's a good person.
    My mom's an ISFJ, and it sounds like she's very similar to Ace's mom. She'll bend over backwards to help anyone, and although very quiet and reserved, she's very outwardly emotionally reactive. She tends to feel taken advantage of, but often she puts herself into that position (doing things to "help" someone when they say "no, no, please, you don't need to do that", and then using it as an example of how much you took advantage and owe her). Master of all forms of the guilt trip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    ...She tends to feel taken advantage of, but often she puts herself into that position (doing things to "help" someone when they say "no, no, please, you don't need to do that", and then using it as an example of how much you took advantage and owe her). Master of all forms of the guilt trip.
    ... that's always a fun one.

My mom doesn't go the guilt route, it's too complex a behavior for her. She DOES do insane things in terms of giving her money and time to people, and she's dreadfully hurt if you deny her... but she doesn't try to create guilt and seems very unconscious about the impact her giving can have on people who didn't want it.

Because she's so naive and DOESN'T purposefully try to create guilt, I still end up feeling guilt when she goes off and tries to cry to herself in private because I rejected her help in some way... I feel like I have bitch-slapped an eight-year-old who just wanted to help me and I was a mean ingrate about things just because I felt her help was inappropriate, unhelpful, or just wanted her to keep her resources for herself for once.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft