User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Elegant NTs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think NT's are classy and eloquent when they concern themselves with (and make a priority of) things like harmony and being a team-player. When we get all wrapped up in "being right" and always coming back over the top of someone (which we are very prone to do without even realizing we are doing it), it is in those times that we are moving away from class and eloquence.

We have good solutions to problems. We think things out very well. We can be very good at whatever we set out to do. That's all fine, but I think it's when we humble ourselves and "include others" (this is very broad) that we then have class. Start a business that you're passionate about - not just for your own pathetic gain that you can't even take with you when you leave this place, but start it for the employees that you will treat right and pay well. Start it for the customers who will love your product and your service, who will see you as an organization who does things the right way.

Another example in my personal life (and perhaps it's common with INTP's) is let's say a friend is throwing a birthday party and wants me to come. I really don't want to go because there will be lots of people and interaction and it all just seems like a big headache to me. But, I've learned that situations like this aren't about "me" and my being inconvenienced. They are about a friend who genuinely wants me to be at his/her birthday party. Me being there is important to them. I don't always make it to these events, but I've begun to see the importance of stepping out of my own head and being giving of myself and my time.

In short, I think we move closer to class and eloquence in moments where we lose our own selfish ambitions and "what's in it for me attitude". When we give of our time and give of ourselves (while still using our strengths and being true to who we are), that's classy.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I think NT's are classy and eloquent when they concern themselves with (and make a priority of) things like harmony and being a team-player. When we get all wrapped up in "being right" and always coming back over the top of someone (which we are very prone to do without even realizing we are doing it), it is in those times that we are moving away from class and eloquence.

We have good solutions to problems. We think things out very well. We can be very good at whatever we set out to do. That's all fine, but I think it's when we humble ourselves and "include others" (this is very broad) that we then have class. Start a business that you're passionate about - not just for your own pathetic gain that you can't even take with you when you leave this place, but start it for the employees that you will treat right and pay well. Start it for the customers who will love your product and your service, who will see you as an organization who does things the right way.

Another example in my personal life (and perhaps it's common with INTP's) is let's say a friend is throwing a birthday party and wants me to come. I really don't want to go because there will be lots of people and interaction and it all just seems like a big headache to me. But, I've learned that situations like this aren't about "me" and my being inconvenienced. They are about a friend who genuinely wants me to be at his/her birthday party. Me being there is important to them. I don't always make it to these events, but I've begun to see the importance of stepping out of my own head and being giving of myself and my time.

In short, I think we move closer to class and eloquence in moments where we lose our own selfish ambitions and "what's in it for me attitude". When we give of our time and give of ourselves (while still using our strengths and being true to who we are), that's classy.
    I would generally agree with this, however I don't necessarily believe that doing less self centered acts is as important as it seems. I will never be someone that I am not. My goals and personal pursuits are important to me. I don't appreciate people being demanding of my time.

The bolded portion is mostly the key. I believe it is a sign of strength and confidence to be able to stand your ground and represent yourself, but doing so in a way that is not at the expense of others. Having nothing to prove, and still forging ahead.

For me, I reclaimed my inner classiness by learning to incorporate creative solutions in my pursuits, rather than bull dozing over any one and anything. The confidence to know that one way or another, I will accomplish my goals.

Ghetto comes from the instinctual need to survive or belong (insecurity). When we cut down others to advance our position, giving up our standards to be accepted by the majority, or being resistant to productivity and change for the sake of proving our point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, Ive examples of NT's I know personally cutting suave, elegant verbally precise and well crafted moves across boardrooms and functions and gatherings of the 'important ' people and movers and shakers.
    Inevitably, their tinkling little softly spoken voices , grated on me and being as hollow and false as fake crystal goblets, and all without exception were intellectual snobs who had very little depth going on in their lives, despite their perfectly interior designed apartments and art on the wall.
    Elegant can be very cold,.. I have examples of it , yes,... but none that have ever impressed me as anything but empty style over substance.
    G. x
    My INFJ license is regulary revoked,.. I am a sometime refugee in the INTJ holding centre.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think I'm too practical to bother with elegance most of the time. I'd rather have someone listen to my idea than ignore me because they misinterpret my tone/choice of language as pretension.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    You'll find this "elegance" in NTJs much more readily than in NTPs. NTJs will bother with wearing Armani suits to become CEOs of huge corporations. NTPs will show up to work pantsless and ruin their chances at ever finding their way to the top.
    I dont quite see this elegance. INTJs, for example, are probably (regrettably for them) the most socially awkward type. i think it is because they are so far from Fi/Fe. They find it difficult to strike up the right balance in social situations and thus can be... inelegant.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    They find it difficult to strike up the right balance in social situations and thus can be... inelegant.
    *nod* I tried to explain to my ESFJ mom how I sometimes have to think about my facial expression and determine if it's the correct one for a given situation. She thought I was completely bonkers.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    *nod* I tried to explain to my ESFJ mom how I sometimes have to think about my facial expression and determine if it's the correct one for a given situation. She thought I was completely bonkers.
    I worked with an INTJ for years. We were both forced to "network" with strangers at enforced social events.. drinks receptions and the like. he put it like this... "why is it when I walk up to someone they look at me like I have antenna growing out of my head?"

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Lately I have been very disappointed in the reputation of NTs (ENTJs to be specific).

NT is not about being immature. It most certainly is not being mentally retarded. Last I heard, they almost never run in packs.

Capability, independence, confidence, knowledge and wisdom. These are all skills that are readily available to NTs.

Before anyone spouts off, let me say that I am NOT saying other types aren't capable of this.

What I am looking for are moments of NT elegance. Where intellect and strategy trump immaturity and lack of sophistication. Where people actually did shit, made shit happen. NTs who don't believe being sloppy and unrefined is cool. NTs with respect.

Got anything?
    what you are talking about comes so easily to NTs that they (NTPs anyway) usually go a step beyond and not give sophistication as much merit as you are doing here...until the need arises

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Ahahahaha! Wooow...

Well, at least you are three steps ahead of me, for I just remain blank and expressionless.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I thought she wasn't referring to external elegance (clothing, etc.), but more to "internal" elegance: eloquence, coherence of opinions, cultural refinment basically.

Anyway, speaking for myself, I kind of hate the concept of elegance and refinement in clothing. The (extremely rare) times I've dressed up with "business suits" (ugh) for a peculiar event (barring sporting events - dressing up in a nice sporting suit is uber cool) I've felt like I was selling my soul. I think I can do a good job even without conforming to some stupid external standard of looks.
    idk, pretty silly generalization to say ENTPS go around pantsless and have no style. The ENTPS I know are dapper dons.
    :workout: What a hot mess, with sprinkles of bs thrown in for good measure -Qre:shireQat :workout: