• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Maturity

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Basically I just turned 18 and realised at the start of the decade I was 8 and the last 10 years have flown by, but i've realised I haven't really matured at all or developed any self-confidence, is this an INTP thing ?, do you develop confidence at this age from within and carry that to the outside world or are external events more important in creating that confidence ?

What was it like for the adult INTPs on this forum,when you were around my age in terms of maturing ?

How did you develop self-confidence ?

other NT's aswell

Robert165

MBTI Type
ENFJ
you'll gain more confidence as you gain more expereince
you seem smart
thats better than being confident

G

Ginkgo

I can't speak for INTPs, but as an INFP I can vouch for this same feeling of stasis. It can be terrifying, but as George Orwell wrote : "Who Controls The Past Controls The Future. Who Controls The Present Controls The Past.”

You control the present, and you can avoid repetition. :)

In regards to confidence: Lack of confidence is a result of not having something to confide in. You attempt to confide in the past, but it is not adequate by your measure. So, you must change the future in order to create a new past. In an effort to create more confidence, you may have to spark some momentum. Start slowly in whatever you're doing, whether it be social or academic.

Happy birthday! :D

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can't speak for INTPs, but as an INFP I can vouch for this same feeling of stasis. It can be terrifying, but as George Orwell wrote : "Who Controls The Past Controls The Future. Who Controls The Present Controls The Past.”

You control the present, and you can avoid repetition. :)

In regards to confidence: Lack of confidence is a result of not having something to confide in. You attempt to confide in the past, but it is not adequate by your measure. So, you must change the future in order to create a new past. In an effort to create more confidence, you may have to spark some momentum. Start slowly in whatever you're doing, whether it be social or academic.
Happy birthday! :D

I like that piece of advice thanks even though it is much easier said than done.

fatuous_tuba

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you consider being eccentric a problem? Why or why not? And either way, some people view eccentricity as necessarily a bad thing since being eccentric means being different. Humans can be hostile toward people they don't understand.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
But for example say I find something to confide or i've found something to confide in, if nobody acknowledges my talents through dismissing or ignoring them how do I still develop confidence.

Robert165

MBTI Type
ENFJ
But for example say I find something to confide or i've found something to confide in, if nobody acknowledges my talents through dismissing or ignoring them how do I still develop confidence.
same answer
just take it a step at a time
but if your worried that
people wont acknowledge your talent
well, you cant control the future
or other people
its a natural fear you have
just try to focus on things you are good at
and try not to worry about other people

fatuous_tuba

MBTI Type
INTJ

First of all, realize that every intuition you have is valid for some reason. The trick to confidence is having the courage to stick to your guns when someone says you shouldn't.

Don't base your confidence on whether you're being appreciated. Never expect appreciation. In fact, expect for everyone to poop on your accomplishments and tell you you're dumb.

Bruce Lee said pretty much that life is a great big work of art. And art is unfiltered, unashamed self-expression. Don't apologize for doing what comes naturally to you.

Maturity is overrated if you ask me. What does it mean to be mature? Having a wife, kids, and a well-paying job? Balls to that. Does it mean waking up every morning right on time for work and doing your job exactly the way they tell you to?

If I'm going to use maturity as a positive thing, then I'm thinking along the lines of "Am I at peace with my emotions?" "Is my reasoning sound?"

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like many IN types, INTPs can seem rather precocious because of being so intellectually inclined. Their growth seems to come in learning to maintain and value their relationships and to interact better socially. They lose the belligerent, arrogant, know-it-all vibe (or it's toned down considerably).

I know a few INTP men with ExFJ mothers & they seem the most balanced - I wonder if having a Fe-dom parent helps them develop that inferior function more positively.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Like many IN types, INTPs can seem rather precocious because of being so intellectually inclined. Their growth seems to come in learning to maintain and value their relationships and to interact better socially. They lose the belligerent, arrogant, know-it-all vibe (or it's toned down considerably).

I know a few INTP men with ExFJ mothers & they seem the most balanced - I wonder if having a Fe-dom parent helps them develop that inferior function more positively.

My mum just happens to be an ESFJ, but none of her characteristics have rubbed of on me.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Basically I just turned 18 and realised at the start of the decade I was 8 and the last 10 years have flown by, but i've realised I haven't really matured at all or developed any self-confidence, is this an INTP thing ?, do you develop confidence at this age from within and carry that to the outside world or are external events more important in creating that confidence ?

What was it like for the adult INTPs on this forum,when you were around my age in terms of maturing ?

How did you develop self-confidence ?

other NT's aswell

Once you exit high school, start college, and start dealing with the real, lonely world, I think you'll grow in ways you'd never imagined. It helps if you use your cognitive abilities to also consciously effect the direction of your growth.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what is maturity? I don't think INTP's really mature. We always keep an open mind. And we damn well keep thinking about things no matter what. We'll never be truely done maturing. So in the sense of being better equipped through experience, our maturing process is an ongoing process until the day we die or lose our minds.

What I do know is that maturity does not equal confidence.

As I mature, I get less and less confident. When I was younger and carefree, I was one big block of pure confidence.

Suffice to say, I used to be quite over confident. And that got me in quite some bad places too. And through experiences, I've learned to become less confident. Thus maturing.

I'm still and always will be pretty confident. But I'm learning to keep it real, so to speak. :p

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Develop your weaker functions (Si, Fe ...)

Get experiences. Absorb experiences like there's no tomorrow. You're young, so you are still very physically able/ full of youthful spirit. A healthy, well-rounded INTP is one who absorbs all information without discernment - learns everything without prior judgment - not one who filters it excessively through Ti from the very start.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Develop your weaker functions (Si, Fe ...)

Get experiences. Absorb experiences like there's no tomorrow. You're young, so you are still very physically able/ full of youthful spirit. A healthy, well-rounded INTP is one who absorbs all information without discernment - learns everything without prior judgment - not one who filters it excessively through Ti from the very start.

This is probably my biggest issue learning how to just experience things without analyzing them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've watched my INTP husband's development since he was 20 and he is now 38. He has never been as confident as he has a right to be, IMO. He's extremely intelligent and competent but rarely acknowledges that to himself or others.

However, over time he has become more confident. Some of it just comes with experience and the realization of just what the competition is. I would say his confidence has built the most since his early thirties when he found a career that he doesn't hate, that compensates him reasonably, and that he's done pretty well at.

If you want to become more confident, don't let fear of failure keep you from trying new things or cause you to give up on something you want to do even if it doesn't come easy at first. An INTP's confidence is going to be rooted in their competence and you have to give yourself the opportunity to gain that competence by taking a few risks.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I can't speak for everybody, but I think I've been maturing by learning to keep my mouth shut.

I'm not very proficient at it, but I've been avoiding a lot of annoying situations by doing it.