User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. #21
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Only it doesn't occur very often that I have a good time while socializing. I don't look forward to parties, because most of the time I get the feeling people are just repeating things over and over to each other to emphasize they are friends or because they don't find a good topic (Good to see you, I'm glad you're here, complaining and gossiping about the ones not there, complaining about something where you find a middle ground...)
    Maybe the thing I hate the most is: sticking to topics where you all agree, because you don't want to disagree and hurt someone's feelings! That's boring, people! I want discussions, I want disagreement, I want some spice in the conversations, I want to see a lot of different opinions.
    You say that quickly and most of the time it leads to an interesting conversation... even if you just say it to people you've never met before with no intention of talking to them beyond that, it can lead to something interesting, and at the same time, it makes people feel welcome, and you become well known . One who asks many questions will know many answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, every 6 to 12 months ENTPs have 1 emo meltdown. This can include bouts of pseudo-misanthropy.
    I can agree with that, but most people will never know about it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    ^Indeed. Once I understood this, I'm sure about my extraversion.

    I need to get out and get input from other people!
    I have a very heterogenous friend group and I'm very social among them... and among strangers...
    I feel at ease at any social situation where "socializing" is not the primary goal... like a festival or a football match or an amateur writer's convention with workshops... Socializing is easy, fun and energizing whenever it comes naturally, as a consequence of some other activity. When socializing is seen as an activity in itself, however, I try to run away without treading on too many toes.

    By the way, is it extrAvert or extrOvert? In Dutch it's extrAvert and I thought it would be the same in English... but here I see extrOvert everywhere. (No problems with introvert - that's with an o)
    Not 100% sure, but last I heard, they have the same meaning in MBTI, it's just more formal to use extrAvert when speaking about MBTI, and extrOvert when speaking English.
    5 3 9

  2. #22
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Every MBTI test I've ever taken has pegged me, hard, as an E in ENTP. Except for the last one, where it was closer to "I", but still an E.

    However, there are some real issues...namely, I dislike people and don't like being in crowds. I don't go out of my way to socialize with people, don't talk to people just to talk to them...in fact, people who try and talk to me (like in line at the store, whatever) irritate me.

    I prefer reading books to going out. Staying inside and reading during a vacation sounds just as fun as going camping...away from everyone. I don't generally like parties unless I am going to know most of the folks there, or at least a handful. Introductions to people by people I know...I'll talk to them for a bit then continue if I find them interesting or find something else if they're boring or irritating.

    So...is it possible to be a Misanthrope and an ENTP?
    No.
    A misanthrope follows the rules.
    It is evident you do not.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    this is one spot where MBTI has grossly misinterpreted Jung's source material.
    I was reading some Scionics stuff and really got that impression...as well as from some of the threads Trinity provided. I am feeling better now.

    And, Wildcat, why do say Misanthropes follow rules?

  4. #24
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    I would say it certainly is possible

    Though I'm one of the only people I know who will openly admit to actually LIKING most people (they're kind of interesting to watch and study, dammit!) I avoid them most of the time like it's my job

    I routinely skip parties and going out- I spend most weekend evenings at home on the couch with my SO watching something like Dr Who, even when invited out to do something else (I think people are interesting, but don't want to put up with thier drunken blather, or having my personal space invaded, or a lot of other factors)

    My brain is still wired for extroversion though- I reflect things outward instead of inward (i.e. in another thread where I was wondering why introverts are so happy to reflect inward on rejection and blame themselves while I'm delighted to blame others )

    basically, my point is, extroversion is more in how you look at yourself and place in society versus whether you want to go to the office christmas party or not
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #25
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    I hybernate at times, and I see myself as beign very introspective - I'm at the higher end of the extroversion scale for MBTI, but that is because MBTI E = where you build your thinking.

    I'm a stimulus slut, if I talk to a lass in the cornern shop I'll have ideas on the way back based on that conversation, if I pass a bill board again more ideas, or a peice of art, or musicl, or smells etc... Total stimulus slut, which I think is why I score E type... it's not always about people....

    I'd say I was socially relatively introverted/prefer specific types of people who I cna chill out with....

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Why?


    cuz it leads to either depression or a very shallow personality

    depression...well everyone knows what thats about

    an entp with a shallow personality is gonna be very unhappy with self in the long run and won't be able to live with themselves till they burst and have a breakdown...what some call a mid-life crisis

  7. #27
    Is Willard in Footloose!! CJ99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Definatly!!!!!!!

    I think its one of the main points of an ENTP (or atleast this one) that everything they think is inspired by the outer world but it stays a lot of the time in the inner world.

    Just because we are E doesn't make us social animals!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

    "Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

    "Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

  8. #28
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    cuz it leads to either depression or a very shallow personality

    depression...well everyone knows what thats about

    an entp with a shallow personality is gonna be very unhappy with self in the long run and won't be able to live with themselves till they burst and have a breakdown...what some call a mid-life crisis
    AH... B.S.

    There isn't a person out there who can't be misanthropic. People can be incredible twits. And it doesn't have to be a permanent condition.

    Shallow people are shallow, regardless of Type.

    And I think more people need to have a breakdown, and examine themselves.

    There are too many self-righteous, know-it-all, asshats, in the world. A few sent to the loony bin. And a few who realize what shitheads they have been and change themselves, make the world a better place.

    And a few who could learn to shut their pie-holes more often. All that lip flapping, and hot air, is causing global warming.

  9. #29
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Every MBTI test I've ever taken has pegged me, hard, as an E in ENTP. Except for the last one, where it was closer to "I", but still an E.

    However, there are some real issues...namely, I dislike people and don't like being in crowds. I don't go out of my way to socialize with people, don't talk to people just to talk to them...in fact, people who try and talk to me (like in line at the store, whatever) irritate me.

    I prefer reading books to going out. Staying inside and reading during a vacation sounds just as fun as going camping...away from everyone. I don't generally like parties unless I am going to know most of the folks there, or at least a handful. Introductions to people by people I know...I'll talk to them for a bit then continue if I find them interesting or find something else if they're boring or irritating.

    So...is it possible to be a Misanthrope and an ENTP?

    Sure. Being an E doesn't always necessitate an interest in social exchange; it simply describes the process by which you gain psychological momentum.

    From your description, you don't sound like a misanthrope. Misanthropy is actually quite virulent, and often moves hand-in-hand with things like depression and self-loathing.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] How should an ENTP choose a career?
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
  2. [ENTP] An ENTP with stage fright
    By BetaSwimmer in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
  3. [ENTP] an ENTP experiment
    By sculpting in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
  4. [ENTP] help with an ENTP!
    By handsopen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
  5. [ENTP] A few problems being an ENTP has caused
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO