• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs! A shiny, amazing conversation.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I'll write a fascinating limerick about each ENTP who manages to stay on topic. Because I love you that much. :D

How many of you, as children, were medicated for ADD? Do you think this is fair to an ENTP child, who, by definition, tends to get bored with things easily? Are you still medicated as an adult? Why/why not?

Inquiring minds...I'll hold off on stating my position until I hear from you.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've always had ADD, but the past months it's been very prevalent. You can call it ADD, but I for one find it to be entertaining and exiting. I work on a task for a minute, skip another, try something else, come back to the first, get distracted, come to the second.

ADD is fun!

Who likes helicopters? I've always found them to be interesting, especially that Da Vinci thought of the concept in his time, then it was adapted later and proven quite effective. Even cooler are hovercrafts which are sort of like upside-down helicopters. Why not put a bunch of blades all over a vessel to allow it to fly in any direction/rotate freely? That would be something.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not got ADD, feel that medicating chidren is seriously wrong on every level..... with the exception when child has serious issue that are preventing development, and even then I beleive opting for a dietary behavioural plan is more responcible.

Good quality stimulus, encouraging sticking with things etc are more important.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
MG you tricked me into entering this thread when you said "shiny amazing!" Shame on you!

I definitely have ADD. It sucks, and I know that if I got rid of it, I'd be a lot more successful in my endeavors. But then again, life probably wouldn't be as fun. I was never medicated, but I used to see a psychologist when I was a child because I was somewhat out of control and had a lot of trouble in the classroom.

Also, I think that ADD....OOOOH A MERMAID! Ariel was always one of my favorite Disney characters!

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Fill, I agree...I have at least 2 ADD individuals in my home, and may be a touch ADD myself. I think ADD may sometimes be code for, "The world's not smart enough to keep up with me". :shock:

Why not put a bunch of blades all over a vessel to allow it to fly in any direction/rotate freely? That would be something.

That's something my flight nut spouse could answer. :D

Tinkerbell..YES. I tend to agree with your opinion. I do think there are some instances when a child could benefit from medication, but, as it is, meds are handed out like candy. :doh: My thoughts are, some children will ALWAYS be ENTP (or what have you). If they don't learn and develop as fully themselves, what kind of confusion/stress will that set them up for later in life? :shock: I agree that diet is helpful, as well as putting children into environments where they aren't set up to fail (ie: a boring indoor desk all day long, with rows of writing to do).

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was not medicated for anything. Heck why would they?
In Germany for one it is not very common to medicate children anyways.
And I don't see the need to do it either.
When I was a child I lived next door to the woods.
Literally, I just had to step out of our front door, cross the street and was standing in the woods. We had about 20 kids in the two streets up there and where never inside.
There was just no opportunity to even show symptoms of ADD as we were running outdoors all the time.

Today as a grown up I take very seldom meds at all. Only when my head is really short before exploding into pieces I will take a pill against that. Apart from that... nothing.

And I don't think it is fair to any child to medicate them and try to change their behaviour and their self artifically. I think people today just want the easy route on anything.

Oh my kid won't sleep, let's give him a sleeping pill.
Oh my kid is screaming, where is the duct tape?
Oh my kid is interested in something new every day as he discovers the world, stop him by feeding meds.

Seriously, parents should start again to be interested in what their kids do, and not park them in front of the TV starting when they learn to sit.
By choosing to have a child you also choose responsibility for it and this does mean you will have to make sacrifices to your own life. That is how it goes. If you can't stand it don't opt for a child.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP's are often misdiagnosed as being ADHD. I actually don't think ADHD exists except as a particular description for a state of mind.

I think this misdiagnosis is due to a misunderstanding with how we relate to the world, taking in information in a torrential fashion. All EXXP's probably seem ADHD.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
teslashock- for your trouble :happy::

[youtube="TqI7cGM9mWs"] Sparkly, shiny goodness![/youtube]

Qre:us

The title is false advertising.....:steam:

As for the OP, I had some "problem behaviours" in middle school, and one teacher suggested ADHD for me, but, my mother swiftly paid it no heed.

It's my nature. My nature is natural to me.

It didn't really hinder my progress and 'staying on track' in school as I always did well, academically, it was just that sometimes, I'd get bored quickly with the work, once understood, and what can one do with time to kill? But, to satiate boredom in creative ways, that needed the class's participation. :doh:

The guidance counsellor in my middle school was awesome, she suggested a special program high school for me, which I got accepted into, and, my high school experience had no issues with ADHD or its likely symptoms (well, maybe a few instances, but not in general).

I also feel that some of my procrastination habits are spurred by my boredom with things (which can relate to ADHD), but, no I would not formally give myself that ADHD label (and have never formally been diagnosed as such).

*waits anxiously for the limerick*

BOUNCE! BOUNCE! BOUNCE!!!!

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
You really know how to get an ENTP to click on a thread. :D

I don't believe in medicating away children's creativity/hyperactivity. Why should everyone be the same way? I get this image of a series of kids on a conveyor belt with their human heads being detached and discarded while plastic ones are screwed on.

Inconvenient is one of the things human beings are. A person who can't handle another inconvenient human being shouldn't have kids. It's not a decision for the child's sake because the child's self--the other self that stands to benefit from meds--hasn't had time to establish itself. Someone decides to turn their kid into an ideal future accountant by killing Mozart. Well done.

I've never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or taken any medication for it. Concentration is difficult though. :doh: Sparklies help.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Not got ADD, feel that medicating chidren is seriously wrong on every level..... with the exception when child has serious issue that are preventing development, and even then I beleive opting for a dietary behavioural plan is more responcible.

37721304---tom_cruise_scientology.jpg

Also I was promised shiny things, I demand them.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP

Good quality stimulus, encouraging sticking with things etc are more important.

ADD... my parents knew for a long time (see my brother who is an ENTJ was the test case) before medicating me for that reason. In the fourth grade this all was explained to me... and found the difference. I could hear myself think.

I think that was the best thing that had ever happened to me. A lot of people diagnosed with ADD at later ages (say high school) completely reject some treatments.

when you're 11, you trust your parents... I may not have understood fully, but I never thought I was defective. medication at the time was just somthing I took.

Kids are a perceptive bunch... They'll think somthing is wrong with them if YOU think somthing is wrong with them. because they mirror what they see.

So I think medicating kids is ok... if it will save them the years of disapointment and feelings of being worthless. because you can't get a good grade no matter how hard you try... so you give up... which I've done... turns out... my medication wasn't strong enough... brain chemistry changes after...er puberty....and such...

.... I'm going to stop typing for now.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The problem's not with the person, it's with the society. However, that society is a lot bigger than the person, and won't readily adapt to their particular needs. Therefore, certain tools exist to improve a person's performance within that societal framework.

Amphetamine and its derivatives seem to be the tools for ExxPs.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTPs are such goofballs. :wubbie:

oh btw:

there was an once an ENTP
so tired of boredom was she
she wrote on a forum in rabbit decorum
and wondered about ADD

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ADD... my parents knew for a long time (see my brother who is an ENTJ was the test case) before medicating me for that reason. In the fourth grade this all was explained to me... and found the difference. I could hear myself think.

I think that was the best thing that had ever happened to me. A lot of people diagnosed with ADD at later ages (say high school) completely reject some treatments.

when you're 11, you trust your parents... I may not have understood fully, but I never thought I was defective. medication at the time was just somthing I took.

Kids are a perceptive bunch... They'll think somthing is wrong with them if YOU think somthing is wrong with them. because they mirror what they see.

So I think medicating kids is ok... if it will save them the years of disapointment and feelings of being worthless. because you can't get a good grade no matter how hard you try... so you give up... which I've done... turns out... my medication wasn't strong enough... brain chemistry changes after...er puberty....and such...

.... I'm going to stop typing for now.

I'm anti quick fire med-ing kids, it's a phenominon largely found in the US... I'm questionis what is wrong with the US pharma system, US parenting, diaetary habits (which we all know are a huge problem) or US schooling that causes them to need to chemically suppress thier childrens "chilisheness". My experience of a US supermarket suggests addatives are largely responcible.... but thats an educated hunch.

The proportion of genuine attention deficate is really teenty tiny - for those with proper genuine, not diet, not behaviourally managable, then yes medicate, but hell it's a last alternative.

I nursed people with learning difficulties for 10 years, and often nursed people who had been chemically supressed into lack of mobility.

As a kid you are powerless, and some of you genuinely say it was the best thing for you.... but saying it wasn't is rejecting how your parents parented... I'm not 100% anit, just 95% and sticking to it because only 5% of kids have real issues (in this country).

There are issues with parenting in the UK, which is not motiviating kids to do anything... it needs to change

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
awwww, no shiny stuff?! :-(

yep i was diagnosed with ADD. Not only could I not pay attention (to boring stuff) but i also couldn't quite sit still because i like to DO stuff (being 7W8 and all).

NOW I WANT TWO LIMERICKS CUS I WAS JIPPED ON THE SHINY!

tedboles

MBTI Type
ENtP
ive been diagnosed with add. took meds on and off as a kid and an adult. i stopped taking them cause not only did my insurance run out (lololol) i feel like i liked them to much.

my lack of concentration skills have always hindered me in school and work. when i took the meds i could hyper concentrate. and while no, i didnt feel like myself, i felt like a waaaaayyyy more efficient version of myself.

i have not been taking the meds for around 2 years or so now, ive learned to just push through the boring shit.

i think that in the end working through your shortcomings, rather than medicating them, helps you become a more well rounded person and provides a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

i guess its not always that easy for some people though.