User Tag List

First 123 Last

The title is false advertising.....:steam:

As for the OP, I had some "problem behaviours" in middle school, and one teacher suggested ADHD for me, but, my mother swiftly paid it no heed.

It's my nature. My nature is natural to me.

It didn't really hinder my progress and 'staying on track' in school as I always did well, academically, it was just that sometimes, I'd get bored quickly with the work, once understood, and what can one do with time to kill? But, to satiate boredom in creative ways, that needed the class's participation.

The guidance counsellor in my middle school was awesome, she suggested a special program high school for me, which I got accepted into, and, my high school experience had no issues with ADHD or its likely symptoms (well, maybe a few instances, but not in general).

I also feel that some of my procrastination habits are spurred by my boredom with things (which can relate to ADHD), but, no I would not formally give myself that ADHD label (and have never formally been diagnosed as such).

*waits anxiously for the limerick*

BOUNCE! BOUNCE! BOUNCE!!!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

You really know how to get an ENTP to click on a thread.

I don't believe in medicating away children's creativity/hyperactivity. Why should everyone be the same way? I get this image of a series of kids on a conveyor belt with their human heads being detached and discarded while plastic ones are screwed on.

Inconvenient is one of the things human beings are. A person who can't handle another inconvenient human being shouldn't have kids. It's not a decision for the child's sake because the child's self--the other self that stands to benefit from meds--hasn't had time to establish itself. Someone decides to turn their kid into an ideal future accountant by killing Mozart. Well done.

I've never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or taken any medication for it. Concentration is difficult though. Sparklies help.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Not got ADD, feel that medicating chidren is seriously wrong on every level..... with the exception when child has serious issue that are preventing development, and even then I beleive opting for a dietary behavioural plan is more responcible.

Also I was promised shiny things, I demand them.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Not got ADD, feel that medicating chidren is seriously wrong on every level..... with the exception when child has serious issue that are preventing development, and even then I beleive opting for a dietary behavioural plan is more responcible.

Good quality stimulus, encouraging sticking with things etc are more important.

ADD... my parents knew for a long time (see my brother who is an ENTJ was the test case) before medicating me for that reason. In the fourth grade this all was explained to me... and found the difference. I could hear myself think.

I think that was the best thing that had ever happened to me. A lot of people diagnosed with ADD at later ages (say high school) completely reject some treatments.

when you're 11, you trust your parents... I may not have understood fully, but I never thought I was defective. medication at the time was just somthing I took.

Kids are a perceptive bunch... They'll think somthing is wrong with them if YOU think somthing is wrong with them. because they mirror what they see.

So I think medicating kids is ok... if it will save them the years of disapointment and feelings of being worthless. because you can't get a good grade no matter how hard you try... so you give up... which I've done... turns out... my medication wasn't strong enough... brain chemistry changes after...er puberty....and such...

.... I'm going to stop typing for now.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The problem's not with the person, it's with the society. However, that society is a lot bigger than the person, and won't readily adapt to their particular needs. Therefore, certain tools exist to improve a person's performance within that societal framework.

Amphetamine and its derivatives seem to be the tools for ExxPs.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    How many of you, as children, were medicated for ADD?
    Not me.

Now gimme my facinating limerick!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

ENTPs are such goofballs.

oh btw:

there was an once an ENTP
    so tired of boredom was she
    she wrote on a forum in rabbit decorum
    and wondered about ADD
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
    ADD... my parents knew for a long time (see my brother who is an ENTJ was the test case) before medicating me for that reason. In the fourth grade this all was explained to me... and found the difference. I could hear myself think.

I think that was the best thing that had ever happened to me. A lot of people diagnosed with ADD at later ages (say high school) completely reject some treatments.

when you're 11, you trust your parents... I may not have understood fully, but I never thought I was defective. medication at the time was just somthing I took.

Kids are a perceptive bunch... They'll think somthing is wrong with them if YOU think somthing is wrong with them. because they mirror what they see.

So I think medicating kids is ok... if it will save them the years of disapointment and feelings of being worthless. because you can't get a good grade no matter how hard you try... so you give up... which I've done... turns out... my medication wasn't strong enough... brain chemistry changes after...er puberty....and such...

.... I'm going to stop typing for now.
    I'm anti quick fire med-ing kids, it's a phenominon largely found in the US... I'm questionis what is wrong with the US pharma system, US parenting, diaetary habits (which we all know are a huge problem) or US schooling that causes them to need to chemically suppress thier childrens "chilisheness". My experience of a US supermarket suggests addatives are largely responcible.... but thats an educated hunch.

The proportion of genuine attention deficate is really teenty tiny - for those with proper genuine, not diet, not behaviourally managable, then yes medicate, but hell it's a last alternative.

I nursed people with learning difficulties for 10 years, and often nursed people who had been chemically supressed into lack of mobility.

As a kid you are powerless, and some of you genuinely say it was the best thing for you.... but saying it wasn't is rejecting how your parents parented... I'm not 100% anit, just 95% and sticking to it because only 5% of kids have real issues (in this country).

There are issues with parenting in the UK, which is not motiviating kids to do anything... it needs to change

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

awwww, no shiny stuff?! :-(

yep i was diagnosed with ADD. Not only could I not pay attention (to boring stuff) but i also couldn't quite sit still because i like to DO stuff (being 7W8 and all).

NOW I WANT TWO LIMERICKS CUS I WAS JIPPED ON THE SHINY!

ive been diagnosed with add. took meds on and off as a kid and an adult. i stopped taking them cause not only did my insurance run out (lololol) i feel like i liked them to much.

my lack of concentration skills have always hindered me in school and work. when i took the meds i could hyper concentrate. and while no, i didnt feel like myself, i felt like a waaaaayyyy more efficient version of myself.

i have not been taking the meds for around 2 years or so now, ive learned to just push through the boring shit.

i think that in the end working through your shortcomings, rather than medicating them, helps you become a more well rounded person and provides a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

i guess its not always that easy for some people though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]