User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I've detached before in order to face work in a room full of dead animals and blood. I figured that if I didn't, I would run away, and I would loose stability, which was something I decided to idolize at the time.

Being detached worked for about a month, but then suddenly I couldn't handle it anymore, someone got angry at me and a just went off into my head and brooded, going over every possible move I could make (and probably not using any Ti). I tried to keep my cool, I couldn't talk properly, for some reason I can't help but smile, possibly so that I don't betray what I'm feeling inside. I then locked myself in an empty room and everything I avoided through detachment hit me at once.

I'm still quite detached from it all, I can't tell how I feel about it. I just know that I've run away now, and I'm never going back... which I was trying to avoid in the first place, but I think I learned a lot from that anyway.

Just to clarify, I detach by living in the moment, silencing my inner self and just acting.
    5 3 9

This is an interesting question. When I was a child I didn't really understand my emotions. Of course my ENTJ dad and ESTP mom often let really insane emotions boil up and then explode up like nuclear holocaust. So to me emotions = bad!

As a teen I often "heard" an inner critic tell me my emotions weren't authentic and I had difficulty identifying which emotions were appropriate. For example when crying at my father's funeral I kept thinking "You aren't really sad . . . you are only faking it!" When indeed I was absolutely devastated.

Another time my friend and I laughed hysterically at his father's funeral when I asked him if they had cut his extremely tall father's legs off at the knee in order to make him fit into the casket. We had to leave which was rather embarrasing consdidering we were both in the front row. I guess I should have kept that one to myself.

As an adult I have learned to shelve emotions that will get in the way of taking care of business until I have a chance to sort through them privately. I often journal my emotions (or talk to some NFs who care) at the first sign so that they don't express themselves in an illogical or inopportune time. I think many people have given good advice to analyze them and their possible consequences before giving them free reign.

You may think you want to achieve a zen like emotionless state . . . but really, Spock scares most people . . . so you should really just forgive yourself for having them. It's what makes you human. =)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    This is an interesting question. When I was a child I didn't really understand my emotions. Of course my ENTJ dad and ESTP mom often let really insane emotions boil up and then explode up like nuclear holocaust. So to me emotions = bad!

As a teen I often "heard" an inner critic tell me my emotions weren't authentic and I had difficulty identifying which emotions were appropriate. For example when crying at my father's funeral I kept thinking "You aren't really sad . . . you are only faking it!" When indeed I was absolutely devastated.

Another time my friend and I laughed hysterically at his father's funeral when I asked him if they had cut his extremely tall father's legs off at the knee in order to make him fit into the casket. We had to leave which was rather embarrasing consdidering we were both in the front row. I guess I should have kept that one to myself.

As an adult I have learned to journal my emotions (or talk to some NFs who care) at the first sign so that they don't express themselves in an illogical or inopportune time.

You may think you want to achieve a zen like emotionless state . . . but really, Spock scares most people . . . so you should really just experience them without fear or regret. It's what makes you human and it's amazing how easy it becomes with practice.
    This is a really excellent idea. I did it for a while on a few occasions and it helped but then I always get to busy and stop doing it. Unfortunately, I don't have an NF to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    This is a really excellent idea. I did it for a while on a few occasions and it helped but then I always get to busy and stop doing it. Unfortunately, I don't have an NF to talk to.

I know what you mean about getting too busy.

I'm lucky enough to have an NF for a sister and several as friends. They will put up with your ramblings for as long as you need to figure yourself out!

Try hanging out at a bookstore! You can usually find them there!

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    I'm not sure what this even means. In English, it sounds like you want advice on how to deal with anger and unhappiness.

If you're unhappy, then you probably need to acknowledge your feelings, so you can do what makes you happy. And if someone makes you angry, kill them.

Finally some sense.
    I'm not clever enough to have a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    I don't know how I did it. I just always remember feeling like my emotions and my mind were separate.

It is like.. first I think something... and then that makes me cry or get angry or whatever. So if I can not think that thought, I won't feel the emotion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Actually this is what I was trying to say.

This would be especially easy for any type who are introspective enough. (it is not type related).

Once you slowly start to witness your emotions without putting more fuel in to the fire, you begin to see your emotions as a separate entity (thing) from your mind.

Emotions is mind.