Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    I'm not sure what this even means. In English, it sounds like you want advice on how to deal with anger and unhappiness.

If you're unhappy, then you probably need to acknowledge your feelings, so you can do what makes you happy. And if someone makes you angry, kill them.

ThatGirl

Why would you want to distance yourself from your emotions?

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    It's not that hard actually.
    The issue is learning how to do it. Once you reach a certain level of self observation you will begin to realize that you can actually see your thoughts at the initial level.

meaning, you can see your thoughts before you become attached to them. Usually what happens is-

Some external event stimulates our senses (the 5 senses)
    A thought arises
    We get attached to that thought
    We begin to think it's the reality (we begin to assume the worst)
    An emotion emerges
    We get attached to that emotion

And if the thought was an angry though
    the emotion is an angry emotion.
    Very well said. Interestingly, as an INFP I've found acting very useful in helping me control emotional responses IRL. Acting, after all, involves among other things creating authentic emotional responses to imaginary circumstances, so it does familiarize oneself with the ability to summon at will, and dissipate at will, joy, grief, anger etc. as well as intertwined physical responses...

MBTI
    INTP

I don't understand why you wound want to. I have never made a conscious effort to distance myself from emotions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

not making decisions with your feelings isn't the same thing as not having feelings. i don't distance myself from my feelings at all,i just logically decide what to do with them

for instance if i'm angry at someone i could a) be inefficient and throw something at them or b) be efficient and call them a jerk and tell them why

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Fe has caused me more trouble that its worth and i can rarely access Fi when I need it (i.e. music composition or other creative outlets). instead Fi appears in forms of anger and depression at the least convenient times (as if there is ever a convenient time to be angry or depressed).

NTs, specifically INTJs, how do you (or did you) distance yourself from your feelings? I've read that INTJs distance themselves from their emotions at a young age. NTs, is there a ritual that one must perform in order to achieve this state of mind?
    You talk about it like it's a war, one doesn't need to 'distance him/herself from emotion' if there's no conflicts to begin with. It's all about the fact that correct logic always goes by the same rules and people who adopt more relative kinds of rationality -such as Fe or more so irrational functions such as Fi (yeah i'm sorry you won't make me say that internalizing something based on how you feel about it is rational! ) are bound to end up having to deal with internal conflicts brought up by relative lack of internal coherence.

Yeah so anyway, I notice feelings and integrate them into the rest of my thinking process 99.99% of the time, there's no conflict.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My two cents is that it can make you nuts, especially if you're an F. I can only speak from experience, but I've tried (at an earlier point in my life, not now) to stuff my feelings and live in my tertiary Te get-things-done-bulldozer-accomplishment mode, and eventually my Fi caught up with me and that is not pretty. Disasterous, actually. There has to be a balance, no matter what your type is, but especially if you're an F I think it can make you sick in the long run.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I think that distancing yourself from emotions sounds like way way too much work. Energy that could be used for making a sandwich or napping should not be wasted on that. Instead, I recommend owning and taking responsibility for your emotions. You are human, and the parts that might suck the most about it (emotions, gross!!) are the most defining and beautifully challenging parts.

You will never learn if you never challenge yourself to admit the things you try hardest to ignore. Your emotions could lead to preferences in decision making that lead to a greater subjective rationality.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    entp

i can know im gonna emote before i do

so, when i feel like, i can actually decide whether or not to show my true feelings...guess i get that from having NeTi > Fe

Banned

I cant remember how I distanced myself from emotions; however they still crop up occassionally. Its very important I keep a few NFs around to help me sort through what I'm feeling so I dont trip over myself.