• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ts: Why don't feelings matter?

Glass Forest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does it ever happen that your feelings overwhelm you and you kill a person ?
If i get overwhelmed i just need lots of time alone to think it over. Feelings make my long thought process even longer.

When i hate someone i:
-discuss it with them to try and fix the problem
-cut them out of my life
-pretend they don't exist

Usually a combination, depending on what works for the situation in particular.

No killing... yet.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ The second and third points are the same.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
This has been an interesting thread,

Almost all purchase decisions are heavily skewed towards emotional reasonance with the consumer. Advertising is aimed predominantly to have an emotional reasonance with you.

How much are T types post rationalisting emotional decisions do you think rather than actually making rational decisions.

An example of this is ENTJ I know buying an Iphone, which he TOTALLY post rationalised, but infact he was totally turned on by the oober coolness of it.

thoughts?

Oklahoma86

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Post rationalizing decisions that were really based on emotion?

Hmm its possible we do that. Im trying to remember a decision where I might have done that but its so hard for me to separate my logical thought process from my emotions. If INTJs do that they probably so successfully post rationalize that they truly convince themselves that emotion had nothing to do with it. Its not that we are stubborn, we could be delusional. :D

Don't you Ts have a hard time sorting out your thinking from your feelings?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Post rationalizing decisions that were really based on emotion?

Hmm its possible we do that. Im trying to remember a decision where I might have done that but its so hard for me to separate my logical thought process from my emotions. If INTJs do that they probably so successfully post rationalize that they truly convince themselves that emotion had nothing to do with it. Its not that we are stubborn, we could be delusional. :D

Don't you Ts have a hard time sorting out your thinking from your feelings?

Not all the time, I think T types do have critera that are functional most of the time... But we are all far more emotionally driven than our consious minds allows us to own (and that includes F types... imagine the degree of emotionally driven if F types were fully consious - wooowooowooo - LOL )

And yes I think T types have difficulty being open to their own emotions...

It's funny because several times in the last few months people on this board have said How terribly non NT or non ENTP I can be... I have a strong F but an even stronger T when it comes to decision making...besides my N is off the scael ;). I'm Ok with emotions

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
It sounds like a bunch of firecrackers going off, and an explosion of realization.

For me it's a deep gut feeling, no questions asked... very strong, sometimes I get the feeling that something is wrong, realyl really wrogn with something, and it takes me a good while to articulate why it is bugging me (and I mean like a businessness thing not like a people thing).

So these firecrackers... how do they feel

and FWIW, I suspect your Intuition is a foghorn of an emotional reaction that your rarely ever ignore

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
For me it's a deep gut feeling, no questions asked... very strong, sometimes I get the feeling that something is wrong, realyl really wrogn with something, and it takes me a good while to articulate why it is bugging me (and I mean like a businessness thing not like a people thing).

So these firecrackers... how do they feel

and FWIW, I suspect your Intuition is a foghorn of an emotional reaction that your rarely ever ignore

It's more of a tickly sort of thing - like "wait a sec, that's funny". If it strengthens, it becomes more of a nagging thing. However, it usually doesn't even get to that point, since Ti's taken over and is trying to assemble the pieces together to make sense.

Mind you, this all seems very linear when it is occurring.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's more of a tickly sort of thing - like "wait a sec, that's funny". If it strengthens, it becomes more of a nagging thing. However, it usually doesn't even get to that point, since Ti's taken over and is trying to assemble the pieces together to make sense.

Mind you, this all seems very linear when it is occurring.

Ever ignored the feeling? Intuition is emotional, and actually I beleive it taps into one subconsious. Do you think your intuition is useful? I'm sure there will now be a shower of post saying N isn't emotional

I've been doing hyponotherapy, and realise I do a lot fo self hypnoisis that is abotu tapping into my subconsious....

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ever ignored the feeling? Intuition is emotional, and actually I beleive it taps into one subconsious. Do you think your intuition is useful? I'm sure there will now be a shower of post saying N isn't emotional

I've been doing hyponotherapy, and realise I do a lot fo self hypnoisis that is abotu tapping into my subconsious....

N does have emotion but wouldn't it be different for T's and F's, I think T's feel strongly about ideas and F's feel strongly about people and situations

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Might be a male vs. female thing. Intuition isn't emotional for me at all - it's just a instinctive "pull" toward assembling seemingly disparate factors together in order to make a cohesive, logical relationship. It's the part that wonders why things are the way they are, while Ti is the part that demands answers.

Sure, I'll ignore it when the situation demands it (Ti+Fe and all). This is very frustrating, however, but not in an emotional sense. It's more akin to having an itch on that part of your back that you just can't reach.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
N does have emotion but wouldn't it be different for T's and F's, I think T's feel strongly about ideas and F's feel strongly about people and situations

I think I'm more F than other T's or I'm just more honest about my F-ness... I feel very strongly about people and situations if they are peronalised or if there is a cause (don't get me started), but less so about every day run of the mill stuff.

I'm less feeling about ideas, they energies me but I don't FEEL them

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Might be a male vs. female thing. Intuition isn't emotional for me at all - it's just a instinctive "pull" toward assembling seemingly disparate factors together in order to make a cohesive, logical relationship. It's the part that wonders why things are the way they are, while Ti is the part that demands answers.

Sure, I'll ignore it when the situation demands it (Ti+Fe and all). This is very frustrating, however, but not in an emotional sense. It's more akin to having an itch on that part of your back that you just can't reach.

Maybe it is a gender thing.... I'd see my instinctive pull as being an emotional responce, which is really deep rooted

Yes the frustration is a type of anxiety which is a type of emotion... LOL I may be clutching at straws... it may also be an issue of semantics.

The big question then is how do you experience your emotions?

Oklahoma86

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't think its a matter of honesty concerning our F-ness. It could be a matter of understanding. For a lot of Ts our feelings just don't make sense. (for me that's the case anyway) We could be attributing a response to reason when it is really a response to emotion. Because we don't recognize our own emotions in a clear way.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I'm more F than other T's or I'm just more honest about my F-ness... I feel very strongly about people and situations if they are peronalised or if there is a cause (don't get me started), but less so about every day run of the mill stuff.

I'm less feeling about ideas, they energies me but I don't FEEL them

emotions are part of being human we can't escape them but NT's just have a lot more control over them than other types, I scored 100% thinking which is nothing to be proud of on mbti but im far from a robot, I think the N is what makes us actually seem more unemotional it diverts our attention from every day life and situations

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think its a matter of honesty concerning our F-ness. It could be a matter of understanding. For a lot of Ts our feelings just don't make sense. (for me that's the case anyway) We could be attributing a response to reason when it is really a response to emotion. Because we don't recognize our own emotions in a clear way.

Don't get me wrong I am not say I dont' suffer from texactly the same attributation issue at time, but I guess I own my emotionalness more - possibly because I recognise it.

Maybe it's an articulation thing too.

It's interesting, because I suspect they are a lot more ingrained than you think... why do you buy the laundry detergent (if it's smell it's about your mama), why do you buy the toothpaste brand, why do you buy so many different every day purchase... almost all your brand loyalty comes from emotional affintity not rationality... infact you will stick with a brand that is pissing you off because of emotional reasonance at a subconsious level

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The big question then is how do you experience your emotions?

You might not believe it, but I generally have to think myself there. NeTi myself to Fe, so to speak.

I understand the pull to be less emotional than just a logical consequence of how my brain works, absent any other significance, emotional or otherwise. It's just how I work. Emotions are usually reactions to situations, as opposed to being causative in any way. For example, figuring something out how something works will bring great euphoria, but I interpret that as more a reward for figuring something out by getting that hit of dopamine than part of the cognitive process itself.