• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ts: Why don't feelings matter?

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Because they are infiltrators on my brain!!!!!!!!!!!

When I start crying or get pissed I feel my ability to rationally think go out the window. and I don't like that!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinkers may not rely much on feelings because just as much as feelings can be overwhelmingly lovely they can also be overwhelmingly upsetting and thinkers may be afraid of that suffering. Some say "feelings are for the weak". Feelings are not for the weak, feelings are what make the weak but at the same time, feelings are what make the strong. To a thinker logical decisions come first and once the decision is made, feelings may come in to tweak the decision a bit here and there. Whereas the feelers make their decision based on their feelings and logic comes into play to tweak things here and there after the decision is made.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
ok well seeing as I woke up in "pedantic asshole" mood today, I'll give the correspondent answer :p.

Feelings matter but you can't really communicate with someone by retreating into your own unverifiable subjectivity, so in order not to be unfair to me, I ask people to explian themselves to me using objective points of reference we can both relate to. otherwise it's not a dialogue but a monologue.

Jaguar

Because they are infiltrators on my brain!!!!!!!!!!!

When I start crying or get pissed I feel my ability to rationally think go out the window. and I don't like that!

Oh no, not those exclamation marks again. I saw enough of those today.
Okay you wankers, take this: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Oklahoma86

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Hmm how to say this...

Its not that feelings don't matter. It's that I don't trust them enough to base any major decision on them. Feelings are too subjective, unstable, unreliable, (wishy-washy if you like). Since I don't trust my own feelings, I'm DEFINITELY not going to trust someone elses when informing important decisions. However, good logic is universal. It doesn't matter where it comes from. So when I deal with other people I tend to use the language of logic, not feeling. I view it as a better common ground.

No doubt though feelings are important. Most of my strongest convictions are based on feeling not logic. My career path, for example, was chosen based on strong feelings about public policy and the role of government.

Haha take that for whatever its worth. Its coming from a strong T.

proximo

Personally, I've never said or even thought that feelings don't matter. I think you're asking the wrong question, if you want to understand the T relationship to feelings. It's not about whether they "matter" or not.

For me, it's a simple case of priority. There are intellect driven principles, serving which I consider infinitely more important than "going with" whatever I might currently be feeling. That doesn't mean my feelings don't matter or that others' feelings don't matter. It means that whatever I do in order to take account of feelings, has to satisfy those more objective criteria, for me to feel happy with it. Yup, I said "feel happy". When I live up to my principles, I feel happy. If I sell them out because I'm too afraid of bad feeling, I feel ashamed of myself and cowardly, and unhappy.

My feelings, generally, depend on and are subservient to my intellectual convictions. The whole reason why I have those convictions is because they're what I believe can most effectively lead to a feeling of peace for myself and those with whom I deal.

What I feel at any given moment, can evapourate in the cold light of day. But the objective principles and my knowledge (including knowledge of myself and my longer term emotional patterns) remains the same. So I consider them a more sound basis for general decision making.

A

A window to the soul

KOTC

It feels really good to feel.
lipsf.gif

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why did you put this in the NT forum? There are sensor thinkers too. Traitor! :duel:

Anyway, it's not that I don't care about feelings. I just hate it when people get all whiny and emo on me and would rather have a pity party than do something constructive with themselves.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If it were that easy to make feelings not matter, I'ld be god

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it were that easy to make feelings not matter, I'ld be god

I'm not quite sure if you know the difference between "god" and "good", but it sure does make a lot of your posts more entertaining.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'm not quite sure if you know the difference between "god" and "good", but it sure does make a lot of your posts more entertaining.

I actually wanted to say religion is without feelings ( tho it feeds on them ), but I didnt expect you to understand it

Glass Forest

MBTI Type
INTJ
I use my feelings as a source of information. By analysing them they tell me what is important to me and what i want. Feelings are indirectly the most important thing there is; i let them influence my decisions, just not directly, but by addressing what causes the feelings. Then i can make decisions that lead to good feelings in the long run, happiness, which is everyone's ultimate goal.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I use my feelings as a source of information. By analysing them they tell me what is important to me and what i want. Feelings are indirectly the most important thing there is; i let them influence my decisions, just not directly, but by addressing what causes the feelings. Then i can make decisions that lead to good feelings, leading to happiness, which is everyone's ultimate goal.

Does it ever happen that your feelings overwhelm you and you kill a person ?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually wanted to say religion is without feelings ( tho it feeds on them ), but I didnt expect you to understand it

Well, to be fair, you have typed "god" when you meant "good" on several occasions.