• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ts: Why don't feelings matter?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feelings don't materialize, right? :confused:

Jaguar

Epic Ne fail. I think I understand now: Te is incapable of inductive reasoning. Wow. That explains an awful lot.

Epic Ni Fail. I think I understand now: Ne is incapable of interpreting the underlying meaning of anything. That explains an awful lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
To me, feelings are confusing as heck. I don't know if I'd say they "don't matter" but they're just perplexing. I usually try to avoid situations which are feelings-oriented.

I think my Dad is a T (ISTJ I think) he is inappropriate and offensive all the time but when he should be offensive (when being pestered by telemarketers etc.) all of a sudden he is Mr Politeness, what's the deal with that?

There's a very simple answer for this. He's trying to find out some information or get some thing from them, so he plays the polite card so they'll give him as much help as possible. It only makes sense.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Feelings matter, they matter a lot, but there is no point in everyone feeling great about a decision, if the decision doesn't do what it needs to do....

Functionally something needs to work, there is no point buying a TV that doens't meet peoples functional needs, just because 8 out of 9 people say they feel the other one is prettier... or has a better vibe... it wont work...

So ultimately T types make decisions base on fit for purpose, before the warm and fuzzies...

The downside is that if the T type hasn't make people warm enough the fuzzie types will reject the fit for purpose... HOWEVER no one likes change and they will get use to it in the long run...

Balance/consideration

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why don't feelings matter?

Because you touch yourself at night.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Epic Ni Fail. I think I understand now: Ne is incapable of interpreting the underlying meaning of anything. That explains an awful lot.

Well, despite the "personal jabs removed" from this post, you're probably right. NTPs try to rely on Ti for that, with kind of mixed results.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're discussing the reasons for it, not the behavior itself. Nobody ever said Thinkers as a whole are less selfish than Feelers, just that Thinkers are less selfish on an emotional basis.

Then we agree.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a very simple answer for this. He's trying to find out some information or get some thing from them, so he plays the polite card so they'll give him as much help as possible. It only makes sense.

I think Berens' speed-reading book discusses TP people and how they can mirror FJs because all use Fe. However, FJs use it directly in its primary role, while TPs use Fe in the pursuit of their T-directed goals, i.e, Fe is a tool to smooth out the rest. (This is why TP salesmen tend to be good at Fe and know how to "make the connection.")

Of course, the OP has claimed the dad is TJ. But the gist holds. T's can use F skills to implement their T goals, just as F use T devices to implement their F goals.

Jaguar

Well, despite the "personal jabs removed" from this post, you're probably right. NTPs try to rely on Ti for that, with kind of mixed results.

My comment to you was nothing compared to the emotional meltdown of another member.
You are late to the party.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think my Dad is a T (ISTJ I think) he is inappropriate and offensive all the time but when he should be offensive (when being pestered by telemarketers etc.) all of a sudden he is Mr Politeness, what's the deal with that?

I think Berens' speed-reading book discusses TP people and how they can mirror FJs because all use Fe. However, FJs use it directly in its primary role, while TPs use Fe in the pursuit of their T-directed goals, i.e, Fe is a tool to smooth out the rest. (This is why TP salesmen tend to be good at Fe and know how to "make the connection.")

Of course, the OP has claimed the dad is TJ. But the gist holds. T's can use F skills to implement their T goals, just as F use T devices to implement their F goals.

Precisely. I do what the OP's dad does (playing the polite card on the phone) all the time for my own benefit.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Why don't feelings matter?

Because you touch yourself at night.

because if you make the right T decision, the functional choice, but have riled the F's then they will boycot it, besides, haven't you evr bought something that works really well but the aestetic sulked.... it promostes dissatisfaction.

getting a blance between the functional and emotional decision making helps gets your solution to be fully used

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The logical validity of inductive reasoning is disputable anyway.

Thanks Hume. I thought you died years ago.

Luckily induction still works, despite its "logical validity." Without our ability for inductive reasoning, there'd be no science. You should be thanking god right now for the fact that nature isn't governed by a priori logical principles, or else you'd probably be dead from smallpox by now.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
This is just like fishing - just need the right bait I suppose.

Everybody in here needs a hug; come on now, group hug!

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks Hume. I thought you died years ago.

Luckily induction still works, despite its "logical validity." Without our ability for inductive reasoning, there'd be no science. You should be thanking god right now for the fact that nature isn't governed by a priori logical principles, or else you'd probably be dead from smallpox by now.

Agreed, maybe then:
Disputable, not nonexistent. Without it, few things ever would get done.
It's just that there is always a preliminary quality to it.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
This is just like fishing - just need the right bait I suppose.

Everybody in here needs a hug; come on now, group hug!

What more could you expect from a thread aimed at responses from Ts than for a bunch of Fs to come in and tell us we all need hugs? ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
But the whitenoise is what makes life worth living! :yay: