User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by the soulless one View Post
    Why does having a 'T' in a constructed four letter type code instigate that that means there is no value for feelings?
    Give the rookie a prize.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Because they are infiltrators on my brain!!!!!!!!!!!

When I start crying or get pissed I feel my ability to rationally think go out the window. and I don't like that!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Thinkers may not rely much on feelings because just as much as feelings can be overwhelmingly lovely they can also be overwhelmingly upsetting and thinkers may be afraid of that suffering. Some say "feelings are for the weak". Feelings are not for the weak, feelings are what make the weak but at the same time, feelings are what make the strong. To a thinker logical decisions come first and once the decision is made, feelings may come in to tweak the decision a bit here and there. Whereas the feelers make their decision based on their feelings and logic comes into play to tweak things here and there after the decision is made.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

ok well seeing as I woke up in "pedantic asshole" mood today, I'll give the correspondent answer :p.

Feelings matter but you can't really communicate with someone by retreating into your own unverifiable subjectivity, so in order not to be unfair to me, I ask people to explian themselves to me using objective points of reference we can both relate to. otherwise it's not a dialogue but a monologue.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    Because they are infiltrators on my brain!!!!!!!!!!!

When I start crying or get pissed I feel my ability to rationally think go out the window. and I don't like that!
    Oh no, not those exclamation marks again. I saw enough of those today.
    Okay you wankers, take this: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Hmm how to say this...

Its not that feelings don't matter. It's that I don't trust them enough to base any major decision on them. Feelings are too subjective, unstable, unreliable, (wishy-washy if you like). Since I don't trust my own feelings, I'm DEFINITELY not going to trust someone elses when informing important decisions. However, good logic is universal. It doesn't matter where it comes from. So when I deal with other people I tend to use the language of logic, not feeling. I view it as a better common ground.

No doubt though feelings are important. Most of my strongest convictions are based on feeling not logic. My career path, for example, was chosen based on strong feelings about public policy and the role of government.

Haha take that for whatever its worth. Its coming from a strong T.

Personally, I've never said or even thought that feelings don't matter. I think you're asking the wrong question, if you want to understand the T relationship to feelings. It's not about whether they "matter" or not.

For me, it's a simple case of priority. There are intellect driven principles, serving which I consider infinitely more important than "going with" whatever I might currently be feeling. That doesn't mean my feelings don't matter or that others' feelings don't matter. It means that whatever I do in order to take account of feelings, has to satisfy those more objective criteria, for me to feel happy with it. Yup, I said "feel happy". When I live up to my principles, I feel happy. If I sell them out because I'm too afraid of bad feeling, I feel ashamed of myself and cowardly, and unhappy.

My feelings, generally, depend on and are subservient to my intellectual convictions. The whole reason why I have those convictions is because they're what I believe can most effectively lead to a feeling of peace for myself and those with whom I deal.

What I feel at any given moment, can evapourate in the cold light of day. But the objective principles and my knowledge (including knowledge of myself and my longer term emotional patterns) remains the same. So I consider them a more sound basis for general decision making.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

A window to the soul

Red face KOTC

It feels really good to feel.

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    It feels really good to feel.
    Save for those times when it feels like someone stabbed you in the heart.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Why did you put this in the NT forum? There are sensor thinkers too. Traitor!

Anyway, it's not that I don't care about feelings. I just hate it when people get all whiny and emo on me and would rather have a pity party than do something constructive with themselves.