User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

there are two types of male friends for me - 1) buddies, 2) close friends. the difference is that I don't really see buddies as men, they actually have no gender for me. also - these are guys that I just hang out with, usually in groups. so we are not close, but we are still friends.

close friends are different. I do believe women and men can be friends. real friends. I also truly believe if a man and a woman have an emotionally close friendship there actually is something in the air... sexual tension... because, really, besides them having a very friendly and nice personality, they have also been attractive to me. I know they have liked me as well.

then again - I can admit someone is attractive to me, yet never feel the urge to try it out. that there are always reasons not to do it.

for example - my best male friend at this moment is... I don't know what his type is but I know his stories with women etc, I know I might hurt him. he is a gentle soul and I might be too harsh sometimes. no, he is not a crybaby or an emo or something . I also have a feeling we might get too attached to each other.

all in all - our friendship is better this way. I don't see much potential for a good relationship, I'm quite sure it would be shitty.

not to mention that I have a boyfriend that I'm madly in love with :P

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think male emotions and sex are very intertwined with each other and harder to separate out than women's emotions and sexual interest. I think women are open to a wider variety of people, but are pickier in some regards when it comes to relationships. However, people grow on them as a romantic prospect sometimes through proximity. Men seem to be able to be attracted to a larger section on the population but are less likely than women to develop attraction if they didn't feel it initially.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think they tend to spend time on relationships that they feel have no potential to go anywhere. Since sex is inextricably (in many cases) a part of the equation, if there is no possibility of romance, it either becomes very uncomfortable for them, or else they move on.

In most cases, neither sex invests the amount of time and energy needed to create a close emotional relationship unless one or both parties have romantic emotions or sexual interest.
    I just wonder why a man would feel, in the case of friendship with a woman, that the friendship must "go somewhere". If two men are friends, it does not have to "go" anywhere....the friendship is enough in itself. Why not the same between men and women? I realize that physical attraction can be an issue, but it's not always. I get the feeling that the underlying reason is that many men mainly value women sexually and they put them in a different category from themselves, instead of seeing them as a fellow person they can relate to.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I've many friends of both sexes, and have never had or seriously considered having romantic feelings for any of them. In fact I've not had romantic feelings for anyone except one person, for many years. And I'm bisexual.

So yeah, it is possible.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think male emotions and sex are very intertwined with each other and harder to separate out than women's emotions and sexual interest. I think women are open to a wider variety of people, but are pickier in some regards when it comes to relationships. However, people grow on them as a romantic prospect sometimes through proximity. Men seem to be able to be attracted to a larger section on the population but are less likely than women to develop attraction if they didn't feel it initially.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think they tend to spend time on relationships that they feel have no potential to go anywhere. Since sex is inextricably (in many cases) a part of the equation, if there is no possibility of romance, it either becomes very uncomfortable for them, or else they move on.

In most cases, neither sex invests the amount of time and energy needed to create a close emotional relationship unless one or both parties have romantic emotions or sexual interest.
    I'm not sure I can agree with that. I can honestly say that the idea of romance with any of the old matrons at church is pretty repugnant to me, and yet I very much enjoy and value them as friends and have a lot of time for them!

Same applies to the many married women I know, who are so far off limits in my mind that they might as well be giraffes for all the chances there are of me trying anything sexual on them! And yet again, I have much time for them and value them greatly as friends.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

I'm a believer in strictly platonic friendships between male and female.

If I'm not interested in somebody, whether he be male or female, it's unlikely that I'll bother trying to become close friends with them. But it seems that whenever I'm interacting with the opposite gender... I'm also evaluating whether there might be potentially more if we did get close to each other.

So it's kind of a lose-lose situation. I can't become close friends with someone without feeling some sort of initial attraction. The only way around this is if I find them interesting, and know that they are already taken. This means that I don't evaluate them at all since I know that they are with someone else. In these scenarios, I become close and become the brother-sister friendship.

I have to say: Maybe an important factor that plays in all of this is the exposure to the opposite sex. For me, since I've never really been friends with many girls. When I do interact I start feeling drawn slightly.

However had I been to a girls school, there's a chance I might not fall for girls so easily and develop these friendships more easily.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I'm a believer in strictly platonic friendships between male and female.

If I'm not interested in somebody, whether he be male or female, it's unlikely that I'll bother trying to become close friends with them. But it seems that whenever I'm interacting with the opposite gender... I'm also evaluating whether there might be potentially more if we did get close to each other.

So it's kind of a lose-lose situation. I can't become close friends with someone without feeling some sort of initial attraction. The only way around this is if I find them interesting, and know that they are already taken. This means that I don't evaluate them at all since I know that they are with someone else. In these scenarios, I become close and become the brother-sister friendship.

sounds like somthing I could agree with.

What really awesome sucks is when you end up being good friends anyways... because that's what life wanted to do to you.

Thanks world... for making such hilariously akward situations... and the less hilarious ones... and the ones that are only akward to me.... and making me such and awesometastic person... and for... delicious food?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I think the only potential for a real male/female friendship only is if they are mutually unattracted to each other. However, I don't think there's ever potential for it to become a really deep friendship like two males or two females would have without developing some kind of attraction. Normally, when I see this kind of situation the male and female are in the same social circle but not really best friends.
    That is a ridiculous statement. I can guarantee my ESTP bff and I can tell each other almost anything in the world, go on all kinds of crazy adventures and neither one of us is remotely interested in the other romantically. I can't say his girlfriend (now financee) feels the same way all of the time, but he's told her she can't pick his friends for him. And that's why I love him to death. He's one of the best FRIENDS I could ever ask for. And there's never been anything romantic between us. Not even a drunken smooch. Gross!

I open up to the ESTP more than I do with most girls (there's just one INFP girl I can tell almost anything). I don't have many girl friends either. I'm a programmer...it's the industry I'm in to be friends with boys and that's fine with me. I like watching football, playing some video games and just having a relaxing good time - which boys tend to do much better than girls.

Having said all of that, I had a group of friends in college, mostly boys, and I think each one of them had a crush on me at a different time. Neither of those is the ESTP I was talking about. They're all introverted nerds like me. Since I was nice to them and actually hung around them, I think they got the wrong idea. Most of them also went to an all-boys school for 8th-12th grades... I'm pretty sure that hindered their ability to relax around girls and just be friends. I don't think I lead them on or anything. After they'd ask me out on a date or something, we weren't as good friends. The main reason being that I didn't wanna lead them on, another 'cause I kinda felt awkward being just as friendly around them when I knew they had feelings for me.

I'm not saying it happens all of the time, but I definitely believe there can be great platonic male/female friendships, just as deep as same gender ones.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interesting thread.

In my experience, there are a few friendships that manage to stay platonic (esp if the people are in committed relationships w other people), but the bulk, guys have tried to sexualize things if the bond grows too deep and you maybe if you derail that early and have the understanding of where things need to go, then the friendship can work. I'm still thinking about it, the data is a bit confusing.

I think there's some dependency on how/why the two started interacting in the first place and what their expectations were or were not.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm guessing that everything that has been said is true in some context, but very little applies universally. It is difficult to define romantic interest and connection. There is the assumption that it is overtly sexual, but there are lifetime bonds resulting in marriage that are not of a particularly sexual nature. How might one define such a relationship? Is it a friendship between the sexes? A romance? Then people describe "friends with benefits" where there is a sexual connection, but little or no intimacy. I don't think a sexual connection to someone necessarily correlates to the intimacy of the bond. Each relationship will interpret a sense of intimacy and loyalty differently. How would people define a relationship in which two people are married, but do not have a sexual bond (or more commonly the bond once shared is gone), and have emotionally intimate relationships outside that marriage that are similar to the relationship within the marriage? If one member feels it is disloyal by recreating their bond elsewhere, is it still innocent because of its lack of sexual connection? I don't know, but I do think the topic has very little universal application regardless of the particular conclusion.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)