• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT and theory's being grounded in practicality

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Let's see, your posts are all very carefully constructed and follow a very linear train of thought.

That would be my Ti, silly.

You have not demonstrated Ne at all in anything that you've posted, or Fe for that matter.

Heh, I'm just going to have to disagree with this one. I post random Ne tangents fairly often. There's not much more I can say to argue with this one. I don't show Fe much on the forum because it's so anonymous, and I just don't really see the point of trying to be "nice." I'm much less of a bitch irl.

You're very direct, you're argumentative, judgmental, and you don't seem to care about these things.

Direct? Some times
Argumentative? Check
Judgmental? My uncle was a judge, but his name was William, not Mental. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD MISTAKE ME FOR JUDGMENTAL!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! ::whips out the gavel::

You also have a very clear bias against ENTJs, that really makes it look like you picked ENTP because it's "nicer" and "more creative".

I don't have a bias. You guys are just the most interesting to pick on because you get offended AND you fight back in a somewhat creative way.

Also, how exactly are ESTPs not practical?

Oh, I was just referencing your unoriginal insult more than anything.

Yeah, sorry sistah. You haven't really convinced me. I wish I had some Te in me though. Maybe I'd actually get something done for once. Oh well...

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That would be my Ti, silly.

Heh, I'm just going to have to disagree with this one. I post random Ne tangents fairly often. There's not much more I can say to argue with this one. I don't show Fe much on the forum because it's so anonymous, and I just don't really see the point of trying to be "nice." I'm much less of a bitch irl.

Direct? Some times
Argumentative? Check
Judgmental? My uncle was a judge, but his name was William, not Mental. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD MISTAKE ME FOR JUDGMENTAL!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! ::whips out the gavel::

I don't have a bias. You guys are just the most interesting to pick on because you get offended AND you fight back in a somewhat creative way.

Oh, I was just referencing your unoriginal insult more than anything.

Yeah, sorry sistah. You haven't really convinced me. I wish I had some Te in me though. Maybe I'd actually get something done for once. Oh well...

The sooner you accept it, the sooner the awesomeness can kick in.

Just let it happen.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The sooner you accept it, the sooner the awesomeness can kick in.

Just let it happen.

Please, bitch. You just want me to be an ENTJ so you can claim awesomeness by type-association.

You don't need a categorization to be awesome though. Be your own person, and just let that natural light shine through. We'll love you no matter what. :hug:

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Please, bitch. You just want me to be an ENTJ so you can claim awesomeness by type-association.

You don't need a categorization to be awesome though. Be your own person, and just let that natural light shine through. We'll love you no matter what. :hug:

Woah calm down, there's no need to get upset I am just pointing out what I've noticed.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I get bored easily of a theory if it has no practical application, can I still be an ENTJ?

If you don't know the difference between theory's and theories can you still be considered an NT?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Woah calm down, there's no need to get upset I am just pointing out what I've noticed.

What? Was that supposed to be said in jest? I'm calm. I even asked you for your opinion...did I not? So how could I be upset when you gave it? Sorry if I gave off the impression of being not calm. Maybe the "Please, bitch" part threw you off. I was just trying to joke with you though. It's all good :D

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you people, it's nice to get a general consensus.

Now to correct a few of you righteous people.

Firstly, the thread title is completely grammatically accurate. A lot of people would be tempted to call it something like "NT and theory being grounded in practicality", but this does not make sense. Of course, "NT and theories being grounded in practicality" makes sense, but that is not what I intended to say. I wanted to talk about NTs and the practical nature of theory as a singular noun (e.g. "battlefield theory" as opposed to "philosophical theories").

Secondly, for those who are feeling socionics/MBTT tensions, I direct you to the section called
"Comparative Experiments and Their Results, or Measuring the Difference between the Socionic and Keirsey Types" about half way down this page (interesting article in itself by the way). The empirical evidence clearly shows that those who try to connect the two theories in the way that many desk chair-bound, socially inept individuals attempt to do fail completely when it comes to hard facts about the way people are. (There was a guy at the16types who absolutely failed to use reasoned argument - rather he'd just state "X is X because X is X" - when trying to correlate, and so no one took him seriously.) Moreover, what it shows is that the majority of socionists thought that ENTJ best correlated with SLE not LIE, even if a significant number did; which is to be expected since there are definitely certain similarities between the ENTJ and the LIE - I'm not debating this. What I'm debating is that I could not be an ENTJ and an SLE at the same time; I obviously can be.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Depends what you mean by "practicality"...

Through my involvement in Godless far-left politics (I am part of the Zionist-Islamist-Soviet conspiracy and pray to the great underwater lizard-god Kthulu), I know a number of ENTJ's...and they are very much into theory and often philosophy. Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.

However, why would an N see a contradiction between justifying their overarching understanding of the world, and applying the lessons from this to concrete reality? To dismiss the former, seems more of an S trait.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.

Ignore society's general understanding of any terms - sometimes it's just wrong, and doesn't really care about practicality in the slightest. But you're basically right - if an ENTJ Marxist appealed to concrete reality to justify his or her subjective beliefs, they would do so. An ESTJ on the other hand, probably wouldn't even have their own subjective beliefs. I dunno though, this could be an unfair judgement.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends what you mean by "practicality"...

Through my involvement in Godless far-left politics (I am part of the Zionist-Islamist-Soviet conspiracy and pray to the great underwater lizard-god Kthulu), I know a number of ENTJ's...and they are very much into theory and often philosophy. Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.

However, why would an N see a contradiction between justifying their overarching understanding of the world, and applying the lessons from this to concrete reality? To dismiss the former, seems more of an S trait.

I personally have a space in my brain (figuratively) for "just theories", while another subset is dedicated to "practical theories" or "applied theories". The former segment is mostly used in speculative/academic settings, while the latter pertains more to everyday life situations.