User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I considered it once, but then I turned around and saw that there wasn't a stick shoved up my ass, so I knew I must be wrong.

If this is a serious claim, though, do elaborate. I'm curious...
    LOL

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Thank you people, it's nice to get a general consensus.

Now to correct a few of you righteous people.

Firstly, the thread title is completely grammatically accurate. A lot of people would be tempted to call it something like "NT and theory being grounded in practicality", but this does not make sense. Of course, "NT and theories being grounded in practicality" makes sense, but that is not what I intended to say. I wanted to talk about NTs and the practical nature of theory as a singular noun (e.g. "battlefield theory" as opposed to "philosophical theories").

Secondly, for those who are feeling socionics/MBTT tensions, I direct you to the section called
    "Comparative Experiments and Their Results, or Measuring the Difference between the Socionic and Keirsey Types" about half way down this page (interesting article in itself by the way). The empirical evidence clearly shows that those who try to connect the two theories in the way that many desk chair-bound, socially inept individuals attempt to do fail completely when it comes to hard facts about the way people are. (There was a guy at the16types who absolutely failed to use reasoned argument - rather he'd just state "X is X because X is X" - when trying to correlate, and so no one took him seriously.) Moreover, what it shows is that the majority of socionists thought that ENTJ best correlated with SLE not LIE, even if a significant number did; which is to be expected since there are definitely certain similarities between the ENTJ and the LIE - I'm not debating this. What I'm debating is that I could not be an ENTJ and an SLE at the same time; I obviously can be.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Depends what you mean by "practicality"...

Through my involvement in Godless far-left politics (I am part of the Zionist-Islamist-Soviet conspiracy and pray to the great underwater lizard-god Kthulu), I know a number of ENTJ's...and they are very much into theory and often philosophy. Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.

However, why would an N see a contradiction between justifying their overarching understanding of the world, and applying the lessons from this to concrete reality? To dismiss the former, seems more of an S trait.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.
    Ignore society's general understanding of any terms - sometimes it's just wrong, and doesn't really care about practicality in the slightest. But you're basically right - if an ENTJ Marxist appealed to concrete reality to justify his or her subjective beliefs, they would do so. An ESTJ on the other hand, probably wouldn't even have their own subjective beliefs. I dunno though, this could be an unfair judgement.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Depends what you mean by "practicality"...

Through my involvement in Godless far-left politics (I am part of the Zionist-Islamist-Soviet conspiracy and pray to the great underwater lizard-god Kthulu), I know a number of ENTJ's...and they are very much into theory and often philosophy. Studying Kant vs Hegel vs Marx for example, isn't exactly "practical" according to our society's general understanding of the term.

However, why would an N see a contradiction between justifying their overarching understanding of the world, and applying the lessons from this to concrete reality? To dismiss the former, seems more of an S trait.
    I personally have a space in my brain (figuratively) for "just theories", while another subset is dedicated to "practical theories" or "applied theories". The former segment is mostly used in speculative/academic settings, while the latter pertains more to everyday life situations.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp