First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    A lot of people lose money buying gifts as tokens of appreciation when they probably needed the money more than usual to pay heating bills. Also, people end up obliged to attend parties, travel, and socialize when they are worn out from work and need to recuperate. The middle of winter people need a break to recharge and save up personal and financial resources, but they all are further spent for the holidays.
    qft

I realize it's how people form memories and there are happy feelings associated with Christmas. I find once I let go of Santa, the baby Jesus, and Capitalism, what Christmas mostly has left are pretty lights and responsibilities.
    What about Baby Capitalist Santa?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

No, I like the holidays and I don't care what you all say.

I like Christmas, if for nothing else than I don't have to go to work.

More recently I've soured on the gift giving and receiving, because quite frankly I don't know what to get anyone and don't want anything from anyone else.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I like Christmas. It gives me an excuse for smiling at everyone in the mall. Sometimes they even smile back.

....or something bad about Hallmark.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I hate everything about Christmas.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I just really hate the traffic.

I like getting stuff. The food is good. Vacation is awesome.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

When I'm in traffic, I sometimes pretend like I'm magnito (in my head), and pretend to crush and sweep out or my way, all the vehicles ahead of me.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    When I'm in traffic, I sometimes pretend like I'm magnito (in my head), and pretend to crush and sweep out or my way, all the vehicles ahead of me.

lol... thats awesome.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity? BTW, it should also be noted that influences flowed back and forth between Christianity and paganism - so throwing up pagan holidays doesn't really prove anything in the grand scheme of things.
    Don't worry. I don't want to offend Christians. It IS a meaningful holiday for Christians, whatever its roots may be.
    I just hate it when everybody seems to expect from ME that I act like a good little Christian for one day, while at other days this is the least of their worries.
    I will pray with you for the food. I will listen to the sermon. But I will NOT feel joy in my heart because some 2000 years ago a baby was born - even if that seems to be expected from me.

I will, however, feel joy in my heart because I'm together with lots of people I love.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity?
    But we don't live under them. Obviously people question the contradictions of the society they live udner and try to resolve them, this is the root of progress. The US wouldn't have been founded if the revolutionaries of the time had sat around thinking "yeh, lots of Empires in history have existed, so why should we rebel against the injustices of the British one".

Fact is, Xmas is stuffed down our throats every year with moralistic talk of "family values", but it's a money-making scheme. If it were genuinely a religious festival why would it be necessarry to insist that everyone be a part of it? That's when you can tell that a ritual has stopped being about sincere personal belief and has started to serve the interests of a state.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.