User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Christmas.

Love: presents (both giving and receiving), company, staying up late, singing along to my dad's old vinyl records...

Hate: endless musings about the 'meaning' of the holiday (sorry Christians! I do give a lot of alms to the poor, but I don't want to philosopher about it! If you start the 'birth of Jesus is the most important' thing, I WILL get at you with German and Roman light feasts.), endless talking at the table. For some reason or another, I still am the 'child' who wants to get away from that food and play with those new toys (nowadays: board games). When I was a teenager, even my two year older cousin was so much more adult than me - and I wanted to be an adult too, so I copied her behaviour while being frustrated about the play time I was losing because of that.

As I've got a few young nephews and nieces now, who want to get away from the table as much as I do, I have totally reconciled with the holiday.
    Last edited by Tamske; 12-11-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Replaced wrong word (niece -> cousin)
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    (sorry Christians! I do give a lot of alms to the poor, but I don't want to philosopher about it! If you start the 'birth of Jesus is the most important' thing, I WILL get at you with German and Roman light feasts)
    Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity? BTW, it should also be noted that influences flowed back and forth between Christianity and paganism - so throwing up pagan holidays doesn't really prove anything in the grand scheme of things.

MBTI
    ENTP

cos I have to write 50-60 Christmas cards and thats too many to be personal with and you ALWAYS forget someone who sends one of you

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Angry

I hate christmas because my birthday is a week before, I have a big family which means a lot of time with people who I barely talk to during the year, also forced to listen to terrible music, the only good thing is that I am the only one in my family who does not belive in god so on the 25th they all go to church in the morning which is the only alone time I get for about a 2/3 week period

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I hate Christmas, is so full of stress...

MBTI
    PINT

It's in the beginning of winter, so I look forward to getting presents for the first month of snow and then have to deal with three to six more months of shit weather, instead of it being a winter wonderland. And people get you gifts and say you don't have to get one for them, but you know you have to get one for them.. sonsabitches

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

yeh this is the thread for me. I fucking hate christmas and I've only been back home since the weekend. Fuck christmas and whatever **** invented it/the corporate ****s who perpetuate this barbaric pre-modern myth. And fuck the family unit, roll on collectivization.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I hate the fact that the night before Thanksgiving, I drove by a house in our neighborhood that already had Christmas lights on all over the yard. I sorely wanted to slam on the brakes and was tempted to spell out the words "phuck u" on their lawn with their own lights... but usually such things stay within the confines of my zany brane.

So, feeling merciful, as I drove away, I turned on the radio... and found myself listening to.... CHRISTMAS MUSIC? Before Thanksgiving?!

That is why I hate Christmas in the United States.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Bah Humbug!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Christmas/Holiday time sucks because ___________________.
    A lot of people lose money buying gifts as tokens of appreciation when they probably needed the money more than usual to pay heating bills. Also, people end up obliged to attend parties, travel, and socialize when they are worn out from work and need to recuperate. The middle of winter people need a break to recharge and save up personal and financial resources, but they all are further spent for the holidays.

I realize it's how people form memories and there are happy feelings associated with Christmas. I find once I let go of Santa, the baby Jesus, and Capitalism, what Christmas mostly has left are pretty lights and responsibilities.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)