User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 17

  1. #1
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default Indulgence in highly trivial subjects.

    I have never encountered anyone with the surname South. I have seen North, West, and East on many occasions. Is South not a surname, or have I simply missed it? If it's not, why?


    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #2
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Isn't it pointless to qualify a sentence with the word "obviously"? If it's truly obvious, you don't need to explain it.

    I find myself doing this a lot, but I realize there's no reason to. Basically, the only thing it comes across as is an insult. The only reason you'd need to explain something obvious is if the person you're explaining it to is exceptionally imperceptive. Of course, that doesn't accomplish anything.

    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #3
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I have never encountered anyone with the surname South. I have seen North, West, and East on many occasions. Is South not a surname, or have I simply missed it? If it's not, why?


    Perhaps it's based on your geographic location or your level of interaction with people

    Last Name South - WhitePages

    To be honest, I've yet to hear of a person with the last name East. The better question is why the surname west is the most common(more common than the others combined) of the 4 cardinal directions. Perhaps due to a linguistic root not related to these 4 orientations?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  4. #4
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Robert South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    How come you didnt know him more than obviously !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #5
    Senior Member Two Point Two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Isn't it pointless to qualify a sentence with the word "obviously"? If it's truly obvious, you don't need to explain it.

    I find myself doing this a lot, but I realize there's no reason to. Basically, the only thing it comes across as is an insult. The only reason you'd need to explain something obvious is if the person you're explaining it to is exceptionally imperceptive. Of course, that doesn't accomplish anything.

    I think it's just a communicative technique. It's a way of indicating that you perceive something to be obvious, and that you think the other person should have been able to come up with the same thing.

    It may not be nice, but there are instances in which someone might want to use it. If employed for humour, it needn't really be unkind.

    Can also be used when describing a realisation you yourself came to, to indicate that you think you should have been able to do so earlier.

    Oh, and a third use - when you're explaining a thought process you had to someone, and you have to include some qualification, but you don't want them to think that you think they wouldn't have thought of that themselves, so you say 'obviously' to indicate that you take it to be something they'd already be aware of.

    ...Quite a useful little word, actually.

  6. #6
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    It fascinates me how the color sets you get from dividing the color wheel into even portions never look natural, and generally are not aesthetically pleasing.

    It also fascinates me how when you evenly divide the wheel, some pairs of colors look far more similar to each other, even though they are all equally different.

    I'm not sure if I will say more on this.



    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #7
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It fascinates me how the color sets you get from dividing the color wheel into even portions never look natural, and generally are not aesthetically pleasing.

    It also fascinates me how when you evenly divide the wheel, some pairs of colors look far more similar to each other, even though they are all equally different.

    I'm not sure if I will say more on this.



    The cones in your eyes aren't evenly divided among the visible light spectrum. It's only natural for any division of a color "wheel" to be distorted.

    That, and the cones more closely correspond to a Green one, a Blue one, and a Red one. An RYB system is destined to mispairing based on this fact alone.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  8. #8
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    The cones in your eyes aren't evenly divided among the visible light spectrum. It's only natural for any division of a color "wheel" to be distorted.

    That, and the cones more closely correspond to a Green one, a Blue one, and a Red one. An RYB system is destined to mispairing based on this fact alone.
    I don't care about RYB and am not talking about RYB because RYB is not an even distribution. It is imbalanced toward the red.

    But for example, if we quartered the visible spectrum. That is red to violet. Let's say we did purple (128, 0, 255), chartreuse (128, 255, 0), red (255, 0, 0) and cyan (0, 255, 255). That would be a symetrical arrangement of colors, but it looks really strange.

    In fact, even the pallete suited to our eyes, the light primaries, RGB, is a pretty aesthetically displeasing and unnatural looking set of colors. And I know you may say aesthetics are subjective, but there are patterns in human opinion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #9
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't care about RYB and am not talking about RYB because RYB is not an even distribution. It is imbalanced toward the red.

    But for example, if we quartered the visible spectrum. That is red to violet. Let's say we did purple (128, 0, 255), chartreuse (128, 255, 0), red (255, 0, 0) and cyan (0, 255, 255). That would be a symetrical arrangement of colors, but it looks really strange.

    In fact, even the pallete suited to our eyes, the light primaries, RGB, is a pretty aesthetically displeasing and unnatural looking set of colors. And I know you may say aesthetics are subjective, but there are patterns in human opinion.
    It's subjective. Large squares of FF00FF make me feel happy.

    Like the following, but its non-square quality bothers me slightly:
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  10. #10
    Senior Member sofmarhof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    Oh, and a third use - when you're explaining a thought process you had to someone, and you have to include some qualification, but you don't want them to think that you think they wouldn't have thought of that themselves, so you say 'obviously' to indicate that you take it to be something they'd already be aware of.
    This is what I usually mean. It's like saying, "This is almost too obvious to point out, but for some reason I feel the need to do soanyway, so I'm pointing out that I realize it's obvious."

Similar Threads

  1. Math in High School
    By Cryonium in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM
  2. Lojban as foreign language in High School?!?
    By Phil P in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM
  3. [INTJ] INTx, how did you act in high school?
    By Illmatic in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 06:02 AM
  4. I was a jock in High School. . .
    By miss fortune in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO