User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default How Do you Tell an INTP from an ENTP prof?

They're supposed to be talking the whole time, plus they're in their element so introverts would seem extroverted. How can you tell the two apart? He's a biochem prof.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    They're supposed to be talking the whole time, plus they're in their element so introverts would seem extroverted. How can you tell the two apart? He's a biochem prof.
    ENTP profs would be even more involved with the students, would love it when you show up unannounced for help, would in fact "rove around" looking for students when bored. INTP profs might be wonderful during class but would need more down-time and quietly engage you if/when you visited...or ask you to come back later perhaps. They would more relish "alone" time.

ENTP profs also tend to veer into "Let's try this!" and "Let's try that!" and "What do you think THIS might do or be?" INTP profs tend to listen to your ideas, then critique them first or explain how things probably would work, before just leaping in and trying. (They rely on their mental models more, whereas ENTPs are much more happy to get their hands dirty even if they already think they know the results... they usually love the experience of exploring with another person.)

That's my best guess...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ENTP profs would be even more involved with the students, would love it when you show up unannounced for help, would in fact "rove around" looking for students when bored. INTP profs might be wonderful during class but would need more down-time and quietly engage you if/when you visited...or ask you to come back later perhaps. They would more relish "alone" time.

ENTP profs also tend to veer into "Let's try this!" and "Let's try that!" and "What do you think THIS might do or be?" INTP profs tend to listen to your ideas, then critique them first or explain how things probably would work, before just leaping in and trying. (They rely on their mental models more, whereas ENTPs are much more happy to get their hands dirty even if they already think they know the results... they usually love the experience of exploring with another person.)

That's my best guess...
    Thanks. He's definitely ENTP on that analysis. Introverted profs are sometimes very hard to type.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

For what it's worth: As a prof, I was a mixture of what Jennifer describes -- definitely leaning more towards her descriptions of the ENTP. Of course, I taught very hands-on sorts of classes, so the whole thing about experimentation might not be as indicative of anything in my case.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    For what it's worth: As a prof, I was a mixture of what Jennifer describes -- definitely leaning more towards her descriptions of the ENTP. Of course, I taught very hands-on sorts of classes, so the whole thing about experimentation might not be as indicative of anything in my case.
    Well now I'm less confident of my diagnosis

He feeds off students well, and often makes fun of them during class (one girl has a funny sneeze; he puts his lecture on pause to make fun of her regularly). He's extremely self-deprecating. Certainly an NTP, but I was wondering about I b/c I sit front and center and sometimes he'll get very quiet when he's seriously explaining an idea. Generally he's obtrusively loud in class, though.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Well now I'm less confident of my diagnosis

He feeds off students well, and often makes fun of them during class (one girl has a funny sneeze; he puts his lecture on pause to make fun of her regularly). He's extremely self-deprecating. Certainly an NTP, but I was wondering about I b/c I sit front and center and sometimes he'll get very quiet when he's seriously explaining an idea. Generally he's obtrusively loud in class, though.
    I brought water pistols to shoot sleepers in my 8am lecture class. But your remark about being self-deprecating and quiet at certain points certainly rings true for me as a prof. Somehow, I think ENTPs would be more "on" ALL the time.

Perhaps you could ask digest what she'd be like as a prof. That might help. Or not.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Unusual to find an ENTP as a prof? I've seen INTPs before, but never an E. I do have a male ENTP friend who teaches art theory at a college in California, and I can only imagine that it would be a little piece of reeling anarchy heaven.

The way I tell an ENTP from an INTP is on-sight. The Es radiate a level of animal energy that's unmistakable. The Is are self-contained and very intense.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    The way I tell an ENTP from an INTP is on-sight. The Es radiate a level of animal energy that's unmistakable. The Is are self-contained and very intense.
    I agree with that assessment.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    I agree with that assessment.

Why fankee!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

This sounds like my ENTP professor, except that he's hardly ever loud. Based on your description I'd put money on him being an ENTP.