• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Anxiety and the INTP

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Ever waited and waited in a queue at the grocery store (especially when you have to be somewhere else) and then someone a few person in front of has some weird coupon or food stamp and the cashier walks away ostensibly to go find some person in authority and you wait and wait and look at the darting eyes of the other person in line. Both wondering, did the cashier forget she was working the til? Your eyes lock but then you both break eye contact and shift your eyes to the tabloids or gum rack or anything...nervously reading about what a wreck Britney Spears is making of her talents...Yeah!

Well its nothing like that.:shock:

ummmmm..... what

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Just me being goofy (i.e. inferior Fe)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I identify fully with the grocery store scenario. Maybe I'm a particularly stressed INTP though...:s

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I been in situations like what the OP described.

I've realized from personal experience that I tried to push all feelings aside so other people can't see my fear, anxiety, embarrassment, etc. I didn't realized at the same time I was also pushing all other feelings, such as affection and I start worrying how I would appear to people. Of course I denied it to myself, but why else would I hide those feelings. I made excuses that when people knows how you feel that they could manipulate you. This denial caused other things to manifested, like it made me harder to know from a personal level and it made me into a person that was oozing negative attitude.

People often gave me advices to not care about what other people thinks. Of course i've adopted that method as well, but the social anxiety did not go away. I still felt awkward talking and interacting with new people. Now, this is the time when i found the personality type indicator. For a while, I accepted that I just worked like that, that socializing is not my thing because i'm a introvert.

Now you might be asking, what is your point? Well, I came into a realization that whenever I'm nervous, it is usually caused by something that is unknown. When you're in a dark room your body is in the alert mode while walking because your eyes cannot see anything. But what does this have to do with anything? Well i told my self that talking to stranger puts me in a position where theres an unknown factor and the reason for my anxiety. But wait, I didn't realized another factor which I neglected and failed to recognized after all these time.

The feelings that i've neglected had become a noise in the background, always there but I never payed it any attention. I neglected it and I didn't realized that it was eating me up. So i've come into another realization, I would embrace those feelings instead of fighting me and notice how it affected me. Robot much right? And i was surprised by the results, suddently I felt like a heavy burden was lifted off my chest. I realized that those feelings never went away it was always there and because I didn't know how to handle it, my body's reaction was to feel anxious. So once I've done this I had become more confident and the conflicts that gave me nightmare suddently wasn't such a big deal anymore. Why? Because those feelings were not unknown to me anymore and I could concentrate on what's in front of me. This also explains to me why my INFP sister was such a natural speaker in public and why she can socialize so naturally even though she is also a introvert.

Well if you manage to read this far, congrats...life story are boring aren't they?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I been in situations like what the OP described.

I've realized from personal experience that I tried to push all feelings aside so other people can't see my fear, anxiety, embarrassment, etc. I didn't realized at the same time I was also pushing all other feelings, such as affection and I start worrying how I would appear to people. Of course I denied it to myself, but why else would I hide those feelings. I made excuses that when people knows how you feel that they could manipulate you. This denial caused other things to manifested, like it made me harder to know from a personal level and it made me into a person that was oozing negative attitude.

People often gave me advices to not care about what other people thinks. Of course i've adopted that method as well, but the social anxiety did not go away. I still felt awkward talking and interacting with new people. Now, this is the time when i found the personality type indicator. For a while, I accepted that I just worked like that, that socializing is not my thing because i'm a introvert.

Now you might be asking, what is your point? Well, I came into a realization that whenever I'm nervous, it is usually caused by something that is unknown. When you're in a dark room your body is in the alert mode while walking because your eyes cannot see anything. But what does this have to do with anything? Well i told my self that talking to stranger puts me in a position where theres an unknown factor and the reason for my anxiety. But wait, I didn't realized another factor which I neglected and failed to recognized after all these time.

The feelings that i've neglected had become a noise in the background, always there but I never payed it any attention. I neglected it and I didn't realized that it was eating me up. So i've come into another realization, I would embrace those feelings instead of fighting me and notice how it affected me. Robot much right? And i was surprised by the results, suddently I felt like a heavy burden was lifted off my chest. I realized that those feelings never went away it was always there and because I didn't know how to handle it, my body's reaction was to feel anxious. So once I've done this I had become more confident and the conflicts that gave me nightmare suddently wasn't such a big deal anymore. Why? Because those feelings were not unknown to me anymore and I could concentrate on what's in front of me. This also explains to me why my INFP sister was such a natural speaker in public and why she can socialize so naturally even though she is also a introvert.

Well if you manage to read this far, congrats...life story are boring aren't they?

Explain the process of "embracing" your feelings. I'm genuinely interested to hear.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Explain the process of "embracing" your feelings. I'm genuinely interested to hear.

It's more in the line of accepting that when you feel a emotion its ok to act upon it regardless of people's opinion. It's in the same spectrum of "don't care what others think" but you need to make an observation of how your reacting to your emotion. Familiarizing myself to my emotions, from personal experience, had made me less anxious when in public.

NTs ability to explain the natural order of things with logic is often one of our defining strenght. But we hardly try to understand our emotions which we sometime keep in check. So when said emotion manifest, our mind cannot grash the concept because we have not reflect upon it enough to understand. This will cause confusion and anxiety, because not only are you dealing with an external conflict, but an internal conflict as well which i think is the reason for our anxiety.

In other words, you don't have to be a feeler...but except that this is a natural process that you have and make an attempt to understand instead of keeping it in check. As a result of understanding, you will be able to control it instead of being overtaken.

Being confident is being comportable in your own body, if you don't understand your emotions your hardly accomplishing that.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think there is a lot to be said for recognizing and embracing your emotions. Just yesterday, my INTP got ruffled at some offhand thing I said and it was obviously written all over his face. He withdrew and his pupils got very large. He answered questions with one word only and seemed almost stunned at everything I said - like he couldn't grasp what I was trying to say. I rolled my eyes and ignored his behavior but I decided to put him out of his misery when he turned down food and said he wasn't hungry. I knew damn well that he must be hungry even though he doesn't realize it, because I've been studying his eating and sleeping patterns. (Creepy, yes I know, but how else am I to know things unless I get empirical evidence and analyze it?)

Anyway, when he turned down food, I called him on it and said that he was upset with me and he needs to recognize it and almost embrace his annoyance at me. And I told him the exact phrase that I said that made him change all of a sudden. When it was brought to his attention, we were able to talk about it and move on (and then he ate every scrap of food on his plate, thank you very much) and all was well again. He is so perfectly predictable.

My suggestion is to study yourself the way I study him. If your heart starts to race or your body temperature rises or you feel like the words are all echoey and incomprehensible, chances are that something is affecting you. Take a deep breath. Stop and accept it, think about what it is and deal with it. It's usually not as a big of a deal that you think it is. Use the power of Ne to figure out another way to look at the situation.

Just because you've never dealt with that situation before doesn't mean that you can't deal with it now, even though you have no Si point of reference. Just try to create one in that moment knowing that you will always have this experience to fall back on and learn from in the future. You are going to fuck up occasionally. So what? You have to crack some eggs to make an omelet. No one is perfect and no one expects you to be, either.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^good story. maybe you know us better than we know ourselves but it kinda sounds like you were playing with fire. When I get like that, the fact that Im keeping my statements/contact limited rather then flaming you/loved one/SO is because I care for them and don't want to make them the victim of my wrath. Usually all I need is time by myself to feel better again.

Good story but maybe next time just let him retreat and know when he retreats he does it because he cares for you.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He answered questions with one word only and seemed almost stunned at everything I said - like he couldn't grasp what I was trying to say. I rolled my eyes and ignored his behavior but I decided to put him out of his misery when he turned down food and said he wasn't hungry. I knew damn well that he must be hungry even though he doesn't realize it, because I've been studying his eating and sleeping patterns. (Creepy, yes I know, but how else am I to know things unless I get empirical evidence and analyze it?)

I do this when the truth of my opinion will likely cause conflict that is not helpful nor profitable in any way I can think off, but I'm still searching for a resolution to the issue. So I'll avoid the matter, figuring things out, before saying anything about it. Usually done to protect people.

My appetite never dies though. Besides, eating gives me time to ponder without the need to say stuff. :p

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^good story. maybe you know us better than we know ourselves but it kinda sounds like you were playing with fire. When I get like that, the fact that Im keeping my statements/contact limited rather then flaming you/loved one/SO is because I care for them and don't want to make them the victim of my wrath. Usually all I need is time by myself to feel better again.

Good story but maybe next time just let him retreat and know when he retreats he does it because he cares for you.

I don't give a damn about being protected or his need to retreat. Why is his need to retreat more important than my need to not be ignored? And also, my confronting it directly is my way of protecting him.

Either way, it was an offhand comment and it never should be allowed to grow so large that he ignores me and ignores his own needs. Just learn to deal with your shit before it blows up larger than necessary.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If I've got someone breathing down my neck, demanding an answer or a solution, I freeze harder. The only thing I can think is that I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say, and that maybe, if possible, I'd like to vanish.

I guess what I meant by that story is that I threw an offhand comment out there and he took it to be this larger than life thing - if he were to retell it, it might have sounded as if I was "breathing down his neck" or whatever dramatic thing he makes it out to be in his head. If he simply just asked me in that moment what the hell I meant by that comment, it would have saved his nerves a great deal of worry and stress.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe he just got out of bed on the wrong side that morning. :p

Also, I tend to do this much more around non rationals. And the few rationals in my life I don't do this.

Still, wouldn't look for too much behind it. He was probably injustly annoyed, knowing he was annoyed without sufficient reason. It's not about being spineless, we'd just hate ourselves if we were to stand up for ourselves for the wrong reasons...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Either way, he had a conflict, and most likely with himself, and not you. :p

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Still, wouldn't look for too much behind it. He was probably injustly annoyed, knowing he was annoyed without sufficient reason. It's not about being spineless, we'd just hate ourselves if we were to stand up for ourselves for the wrong reasons...

Either way, he had a conflict, and most likely with himself, and not you. :p

He had nothing to stand up for. And it has nothing to do with being spineless, it has more to do with freezing in a moment of stress. If I am annoyed by something he says, I can be annoyed and still continue to behave like a normal person (I use the word "normal" very liberally) but he will shut down - severely. Every coping mechanism he has falls to the wayside. And I thought that was what the OP was getting at. Just shutting down in moments due to anxiety about something.

(And thanks, I knew it couldn't possibly be about me! :tongue: )

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... I can't really relate to that myself. Last time I shut down like that (like just resetting my thoughts, going on empty headed for a while) was the day I quit drinking... 5 years ago. And there was a good reason for it. :p