User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Help with INTJs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Actually I was being a bit facetious in my comment. (I probably should have put a smiley in there.)
    That's all right -- were there an "innocent curiosity" emoticon, I could have used it myself.

It's funny, but I quickly found that meticulousness, however disguised, rarely lasted through half a session. Major plot points and encounters were always reached, but exposition could only be used sparingly. Inwardly, I was frustrated to see D&D's carefully organized rules (and my own prepared application of them) made extraneous to the fun my group was having. Although I was pleased with the spontaneous results, I would never begin a session without a framework.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Frasier as an INTJ? I can't see it myself. He lacks the ENFP side as far as I can see. I suppose considering the background it's possible but he'd have to be quite a stupid INTJ.
    INTJs have an ENFP side?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    INTJs have an ENFP side?
    Damn it. ESFP. Ta.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    That's all right -- were there an "innocent curiosity" emoticon, I could have used it myself.

It's funny, but I quickly found that meticulousness, however disguised, rarely lasted through half a session. Major plot points and encounters were always reached, but exposition could only be used sparingly. Inwardly, I was frustrated to see D&D's carefully organized rules (and my own prepared application of them) made extraneous to the fun my group was having. Although I was pleased with the spontaneous results, I would never begin a session without a framework.
    I have two DMS one is a femael ISFJ and the other this male INTJ. The difference is stark. The INTJ is precise and meticulous, his bad guys are lethal and are used to maximum effect. The ISFJ is unplanned, disorganised but much much more characterful. We have tried an ESTP DM but it usually ended up with them having to re read the adventure each time we played because either they hadn't prepared or just plain couldn't remember what happens next...chaos.

MBTI
    INTP

Have you ever tried being a DM, Xander?

Just curious.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The INTJ is precise and meticulous, his bad guys are lethal and are used to maximum effect.
    That reminds me of a DM under which a friend of mine suffered. This fellow was apparently so fond of adversity that he kept a folder full of characters that his game-mastering actions had killed. Blessed with a vacant imagination, he led the party into THE LAND OF THE ORCS in order to RESCUE A MAIDEN. A notable lack of fun followed.

I never killed a character -- it's almost always a waste of investment, plot sources and good will. Instead, I took one that had been in the wrong place during a dragon's gambit and, making up as I went along, sent him to a plane inhabited by eccentrics. One of the residents pushed the character through a mirror and he came back to life, but completely physically reversed (left-handed, an identifying tattoo now on the other side and illegible, etcetera). The player loved it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Have you ever tried being a DM, Xander?

Just curious.
    Twice. Never really enjoyed it and always ended up wishing I was playing in my "masterful" campaign.

That's why I try and make DM's jobs easier. They're a rare breed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I never killed a character
    How in the seven planes of Tartarus did you manage that?

Have you bought shares in Fiat?

Don't you find that your player's lose some suspension of disbelief if there's no threat of permanent character death? Do they not become all hell for leather and reckless?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Don't you find that your player's lose some suspension of disbelief if there's no threat of permanent character death? Do they not become all hell for leather and reckless?
    Let me rephrase: aside from the aforementioned twist, I never needed to kill a character. My players, totaling nine at one point, held different values than, perhaps, are established by the game. They weren't concerned with hit points or level or gold so much as prestige and respect among the NPCs of the world I had created. Dungeons and creatures bored them; outwitting or being outwitted by adversaries innervated them. And, too, each player enjoyed his (or her, we had one girl) character, so would play with survival in mind.

I occasionally disabled a character or two for trying to circumvent an important encounter; one, I had reciprocally maimed when he rushed to tear apart a sworn enemy of the party. Otherwise, knowing that I had the power to bring death was enough.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

How in the seven planes of Tartarus did you manage that?

Have you bought shares in Fiat?

People play different types of D&D games I've found. Some focus more on battle tactics, avioding traps, etc... and others focus more on plot and character development. Realism in one style is not necessarily the same as realism in the other style.

I can't remember killing a character as a DM, although I might have. If a character behaves too stupid or reckless I certainly would, although I've never had that problem. The more you focus on character/personality development the more players become attached to their characters and therefore do not want to see them die.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com