User Tag List

123 Last

Default INTPs Not Usually Good at Practical Matters

From a rather commonly seen list of INTP weaknesses:

Not usually good at practical matters, such as money management, unless their work involves these concerns
    I realize it says "usually," and I realize it applies to more types than just INTPs, but...

Is it me, or is "Not [] good at practical matters" one of the most damning things that can be said about a person? I think it basically means, "sucks at life."

I hate that statement on the list. I hate it even more because it might be true. I desperately want that statement to not apply to me. How do I make that happen? How do I make use of my INTP strengths to ensure I am GOOD at practical matters?

From wordweb.princeton:
    concerned with actual use or practice
    Of course I want to be good at things that are actually used or practiced. Why would things actually being used or practiced lend themselves to be difficult to INTPs?

Second definition from word-web.princeton:
    hardheaded: guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory
    I think this presents a false dichotomy. I believe in the creation and use of theories based on practical experience and observation. Everyone has a set of assumptions that they work with. Creating a theory out of them, makes these assumptions explicit and therefore more amenable to examination and correction.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I'm plenty good at money management. I suck at pretty much everything else. I'm good at cooking, but only the fun kind, not making daily meals. And I never clean.

I don't think it's that bad a judgement. Most INTPs would say we're too good for that stuff, too busy with matters of real importance.

If an INTP was going to be good at practical matters, they would do it by creating an efficient system to minimize daily effort. For example, having few belongings, and a good organizational system with a place for everything, so that it takes minimal effort to keep things tidy. (Oh, I need to do that some time...)

MBTI
    xxxx

I can manage a bank account, send a professional email, make a phone call to wherever I need to call, and I know how to prepare a small variety of foods. (but a large enough variety to keep me fed, and with something different daily) What more, exactly, is needed?

I probably could formulate a better response, but in addressing the issue of INTPs and practical concerns, I'd look for a distinction between SKILL in practical affairs and FOCUS on those same affairs, with the INTP being sufficient in the first but perhaps below average on the latter.(up to interpretation if that's a positive or negative thing)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"Practical" is just polite-speak for "boring".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I too have little interest in routine tasks, like dealing with the mail, cleaning-up, cooking, paying the bills, etc.

My paychecks are auto-deposited and most of my bills are on automatic payment, and I can keep track of all my accounts on-line (not that I do--I usually only check my checking/savings accounts, mortgage, and 401K. I get reminder emails about by credit-card balances, and my current checking account balance, so I always know about how much I have). Still, I am not very good at keeping myself from buying books.

I don't make terrible messes, but I rarely clean-up, so papers and such can pile up on my desk over the course of a year. My bedroom, since I spend the most time there, is like a disaster area. If my money situation was better, I would pay a housekeeper to clean up a little.

Most of the mail I get is ignorable anyway (I opted out of junk-mail, but I still get the local stuff the post-office dumps in, and I get updates from the organizations I belong to)

I eat mostly fruits, salad-use veggies, nuts, jelly sandwiches, and stuff like that. Once in a while I microwave TV dinners. When I want a lot of food, I eat out. I basically don't cook.

----

I suppose I was thinking of the word "practical" in more broad terms.

I took the description to mean that INTPs are usually not good at anything of actual use.

That one irks me, because I often wonder if that's true to some extent. I always seem to know a lot more about things than I use on a day-to-day basis on the job, and screw-up because of boredom.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I saw that title and laughed and said "Duh!"

I'm thinking about it and might have something constructive to add... lemme get my head together
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Yup we are too good for practical matters...we need servants, so we can do the important stuff like contemplate the infinity of nothingness.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

from here

The INTP is the logician, the mathematician, the philosopher, the scientist; any pursuit requiring architecture of ideas intrigues this type. INTP's should not, however, be asked to work out the implementation or application of their models to the real world.

The INTP is the architect of a system and leaves it to others to be the builder and the applicator. Very often therefore, the INTP's work is not credited to him or her. The builder and the applier gains fame and fortune, while the INTP's name remains obscure. Appreciation of an INTP's theoretical work frequently comes posthumously - or the work may never be removed from library shelves at all and thus lost.
    Did Einstein, Newton, and Leibniz suck at life?

INTP's lay the theoretical foundations of disciplines and practices, and, just like the foundation of a building, our work is unseen and unsung--yet without our contribution the edifices of practice couldn't get off the ground let alone provide shelter for the body and mind.

You know, it sounds to me like you're a basic, common or garden bachelor. One that's approaching his sell-by date and really needs to make a particular change in his life, like either get a woman, or else find some other external (to yourself and your own concerns) commitment that you don't get paid for, that can give meaning to your life and motivate you past the lethargy.

I say this cos I'm in the same boat myself. Though I do have kids, which motivates me to not get *quite* as bad as you describe...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    from here

Did Einstein, Newton, and Leibniz suck at life?

INTP's lay the theoretical foundations of disciplines and practices, and, just like the foundation of a building, our work is unseen and unsung--yet without our contribution the edifices of practice couldn't get off the ground let alone provide shelter for the body and mind.
    That's the thing. How many of us INTPs are actually laying down the theoretical foundations of disciplines or practices? Are you? I certainly am not.

I work a job that I am only partially interested in, and seem to be mediocre at that.

Lebniz, Newton, and Einstein all had major accomplishments while quite young. I don't think the same goes for most INTPs (plus Newton seems like an INTJ to me) But I believe I know what your alluding to. Newton and Einstein were both "failures at life" (exaggeration) very early on...not sure about Lebniz.

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    You know, it sounds to me like you're a basic, common or garden bachelor. One that's approaching his sell-by date and really needs to make a particular change in his life, like either get a woman, or else find some other external (to yourself and your own concerns) commitment that you don't get paid for, that can give meaning to your life and motivate you past the lethargy.

I say this cos I'm in the same boat myself. Though I do have kids, which motivates me to not get *quite* as bad as you describe...
    You are probably right.

But, in my mind at least, I am still searching for my calling. I want to go back to school for a Ph.D. in something research-oriented, quantitative, and "important." I am sick of being a code/circuit monkey for some companies bottom-line.

Robot Fusion