User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. #21
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am wondering prompted my question in the first place. There was something substantive on my mind when I asked it. It wasn't about disliking or having trouble doing mundane things.
    WTF do you put on a tu-tu and dance the lead role to the Nutcracker while you are watering your plants/raking leaves etc. or something!?

    This doesn't seem to be in type and more of an individual idiosyncrasy. Most INTPs don't do mundane things not because what people think rather the INTP just "can't be bothered" with the task and will procrastinate until someone else does it or it becomes too much of a bother not to do it (i.e. laundry; buying more clothes so you don't have to do laundry end up with like 300 pairs of black socks that you eventually will have to fold and match when you finally must do laundry).

    Edit: Nevermind I read "too theoretical" as to "theatrical"...my bad...mooo!
    Last edited by Vizconde; 12-06-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: materially misread post responding too
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  2. #22
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am half-way decent at a few things (circuit design, programming, school math, school physics). The problem is I get bored with activities and want to try something different.

    I checked out the thread. I may even be counted as "financially successful" (so far) but I am rather bored with my current station in life, and am looking to make a major change...a change that will most likely take a decade to make.
    Good. Then you have identified the true nature of the problem - lack of motivation, rather than lack of ability. Your values and priorities and lifestyle are as valid as anyone else's. Don't allow your ability to detach and see yourself from another perspective and through the prism of someone else's priorities to cause you to question your own unique value.

    I think it is mainly a feeling of being marginalized because people perceive my approach to things being "too theoretical."
    Can one be "too theoretical"? As a physicist?

    To be marginalised is to be devalued by society. Yet you say you are financially successful. You say your colleagues compliment you on the excellence of your work. So why is this a concern for you?

    INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation. I know a truly brilliant one who was a director in one of the "Big-5", gave it up to move into academia then gave that up to be a stay-at-home dad, then decided to start his own company designing and making furniture.

    Boredom is a curse, but can also a catalyst for growth and self-improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #23
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation.
    I think that INTPs specifically, and NPs in general, have a serious motivational issue. But I believe us all to be good at practical matters - once we get motivated.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Good. Then you have identified the true nature of the problem - lack of motivation, rather than lack of ability. Your values and priorities and lifestyle are as valid as anyone else's. Don't allow your ability to detach and see yourself from another perspective and through the prism of someone else's priorities to cause you to question your own unique value.
    Good point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Can one be "too theoretical"? As a physicist?
    I'm not a physicist yet, I am an engineer. That's the career change that will take a decade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    To be marginalised is to be devalued by society. Yet you say you are financially successful. You say your colleagues compliment you on the excellence of your work. So why is this a concern for you?
    Well, that was a while ago. These days my feedback is just average, and this year I actually got a warning (but mainly due to illness)

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation. I know a truly brilliant one who was a director in one of the "Big-5", gave it up to move into academia then gave that up to be a stay-at-home dad, then decided to start his own company designing and making furniture.

    Boredom is a curse, but can also a catalyst for growth and self-improvement.
    Also a good point.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    Istp
    Enneagram
    Istp
    Socionics
    Istp
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I'm istp

    Istp are the same as far as household chores and boredom issues. I even
    met an infj that had piles of clothes in her room


    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Seems to be a matter of taste, then, I guess. You can't really control other people's perceptions.

    If your approach works and it's not terribly inefficient, then even if you spend more time addressing theory than the average person, you are still getting the job done.

    Not thinking a lot about something and just doing it can be efficient, but sometimes actually thinking about what you are doing and considering the theoretical stuff can be even more efficient, if you come up with a better way to do it. It's also more fun than just plodding along like a pre-programed meat robot.

    OTOH, if you are having to communicate your ideas/processes to others, being more concrete and simple can be helpful. You just have to invest some time into dumbing things down. My INTP is actually better at that than I am which is why I refer the kids to him for questions that involve science/theory.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Seems to be a matter of taste, then, I guess. You can't really control other people's perceptions.

    If your approach works and it's not terribly inefficient, then even if you spend more time addressing theory than the average person, you are still getting the job done.

    Not thinking a lot about something and just doing it can be efficient, but sometimes actually thinking about what you are doing and considering the theoretical stuff can be even more efficient, if you come up with a better way to do it. It's also more fun than just plodding along like a pre-programed meat robot.

    OTOH, if you are having to communicate your ideas/processes to others, being more concrete and simple can be helpful. You just have to invest some time into dumbing things down. My INTP is actually better at that than I am which is why I refer the kids to him for questions that involve science/theory.
    Yeah, it certainly is more fun for me when I delve into the theoretical aspects of the job I am doing. Sometimes it does make me more expedient. But I also realize that I do not need nearly as much theory to do a job as I usually get. I find that a bit annoying.

    I think it would help me a lot to learn to "dumb things down," but I don't really consider the people I work with to be dumb. Some are PhDs, and most have at least a masters. So at the least they have extensive education.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spykgb View Post
    I'm istp

    Istp are the same as far as household chores and boredom issues. I even
    met an infj that had piles of clothes in her room
    Yeah, I think a lot of types have problems doing routine things on a regular basis.

    I think wanting to do many things is an indication of having many talents (in my case my talents are clustered around abstract systems--CS, EE, Math, Physics).

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  7. #27
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I think what they mean is,

    "Practical matters are not good enough for THEM."

    If you cared about every day life like you cared about whatever else you're interested in, you'd excel in that area too.

    Or just take a Home Ecs class.

    I think it's the "N" that screws you all up.

  8. #28
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I'm pretty handy. That said, I wouldn't want to work with my hands all day long. I enjoy occasionally indulging in practical matters when there's a reason for it, a neccesity. It's good for my Ne as well. But it should never become a habit.

    But you won't see me trying to fix anything unless I need too. Or unless it's a computer, but computers are fun.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP - not sensitive?
    By TSDesigner in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 08-25-2015, 03:51 AM
  2. [MBTItm] I'm Not Good at Being a "Girl"
    By Hera in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
  3. [INTP] Any INTP's not good at math?
    By Pseudo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
  4. Do you think it is possible that NTs (esp. NTPs) are not good at academic writing?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Which type is good at guessing type?
    By INTJMom in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO