• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Good Books for INTPs

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to these forums. Loving it so far.

I was hoping that some of you might have good book recommendations for me. :)

I'm an INTP, pretty tried and true to the bone, and I'm looking for great reads to curl up with. Recently I watched this Swedish vampire movie (No, nothing like Twilight, eeks, blasphemy!) called 'Let The Right One In' and absolutely loved it. Read the book and loved it too. Abstract storytelling, deep multidimensional characters, bittersweet ending, and blood.

For those of you interested, you can watch it here -- YouTube - Let The Right One In 2008 full movie part 1
It's an absolutely stunning work of art. All the parts are interconnected on YouTube.

I seem to have sidetracked a little here...

So anyway, any good book recommendations from fellow NTs? Greatly appreciated. :) I'm usually a fan of horror or science-fiction, or isolated complex protagonists.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Sun Tzu's Art of War. Every rational should read this. :nice:

The first lines are about how conflict is essential for progress of societies. This is so core to the entire NT rationale. ENTP's and INTP's love debates and aren't afraid ruffling a few feathers, and our J cousins, well umm... :duel:

Furthermore the whole thing is abstract and objective. I remember when I first read it after getting into the martial arts and while my functions where still developing, I was like like :huh:.

It's a good way to excercise the Ti, Ne, and corresponding objectivity. Years later, I now read it, and I understand it, and it's applications. :vader1:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to these forums. Loving it so far.

I was hoping that some of you might have good book recommendations for me. :)

I'm an INTP, pretty tried and true to the bone, and I'm looking for great reads to curl up with. Recently I watched this Swedish vampire movie (No, nothing like Twilight, eeks, blasphemy!) called 'Let The Right One In' and absolutely loved it. Read the book and loved it too. Abstract storytelling, deep multidimensional characters, bittersweet ending, and blood.

For those of you interested, you can watch it here -- YouTube - Let The Right One In 2008 full movie part 1
It's an absolutely stunning work of art. All the parts are interconnected on YouTube.

I seem to have sidetracked a little here...

So anyway, any good book recommendations from fellow NTs? Greatly appreciated. :) I'm usually a fan of horror or science-fiction, or isolated complex protagonists.

Twighlight sounds lame already

What do you enjoy reading? Sorry a random list, if you let me know the type of book you like I may be able to dream you up a few, I run a book club here, so get through rathr a lot.....

It might sound weird but have you tried French translations from the turn of the last century? They can be a bit gorey
Zolar (trash fiction of the day, usualy quite exciting:
Nana - grim in places
Therese Raquin - a bit racey
La Bête humaine - kind of a murder story

Usually his books open and you think - what grim ending will happen to this lot...very interesting window into France in previous time.

How about Bram Stoker - Dracula or Mary Shellys - Frankensien

Ian Banks
Crow road - nice book very funny in places
Wasp factory - significantly twisted, read to the end for the real sting in the tail... and I'm usualy quite good at second guessing

Lionel Shriver
We Need To Talk About Kevin
Hated how this was written but as you get on the story is infinatle more compelling

Child 44 - LOVE that... easy read -

Ok other stuff I thoguth might be OK for an INTP but not on your list of subjects
Balzac - another French author - these may be too soft for you
Old Goriot such a good story - takes while to get into.
Eugenie Grandet

Pevot
Manon Lascat, loved this book, the the ballet of this book (seen it at least 8 versions), not seen the opera, was one of the firs real fictionbooks ever written

Daphnie de maurier
Rabecca - set in the UK c.1920/30 - facinating classic book
Jamaca Inn - smugglers on the coast of cornwall around 1700/1800 type time
Frenchmans creek

Bryce Courtney
The Power of One - uplifting and warmign book, I defy you not to fall in love with the chicken.

The sequil is even better Tandia - although Peakay has become an adult... I would love there to have been a third of that

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Well, you're not an INTP until you read non-fiction. :nerd:

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, you're not an INTP until you read non-fiction. :nerd:

LOL. Agreed. But during leisure time I try to read fiction. I'm doing my Masters in Communication now so I get (i.e. have!) to read more than enough non-fiction text than I can stand (and if this is a blasphemous thing for an INTP thing to say, then, darn my buttocks and smack me pink!). Fiction is for the mind to unwind, and I'm hoping to fill it up with good fiction. So far, I've been pretty hit and miss. :S Besides, aren't INTPs supposed to be imaginative, creative creatures? There's only so much one can mould with a non-fiction read - speaking, of course, in terms of a fantasy world filled with things like zombies and mouldy things.

Thanks so much for the book recommendations Tinkerbell!

The books I've read recently over the past month are:
Romance Of The Three Kingdoms - Luo Guan Zhong (That was one longgggg read)
The Dead Zone / The Stand - Stephen King
Handling The Undead - John Ajvide Lindqvist
Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
Snow - Orhan Pamuk
All short stories of Roald Dahl

I'm definitely looking up Bryce Courtney and that book about a chicken (and of course, a little boy growing up during World War II :)). If it's about a lovable chicken, then I most definitely have to read about it!

Do any of you have any leads as to where I can buy / download-for-free (yes, somebody shoot me) ebooks online?
I don't live in the States, so Amazon is out of the question. A website that offers downloads for cheap from anywhere in the world.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ok from the list above these you might enjoy
Ian Banks
Wasp factory - significantly twisted, read to the end for the real sting in the tail... and I'm usualy quite good at second guessing

Lionel Shriver
Hated how this was written but as you get on the story is infinatle more compelling

Child 44 - LOVE that... easy read about a serial killer in Stalin Russia.

Tomas Hardy - the Silence of the lamb, there are three of them now.

James Herbert - the Magic Cottage is one of his first novels that too year before it was published - personally although it was long since published after he shot to fame, it is good and probably the creepiest non gory book.

Then you have The Rats, the Lair, the fog.... loads of them... Good reads but total pulp.

One you get board of pulp fiction give me a prod and I'll give you another reading list.

OK thats probably enough from me for now, I could dig you up some non fiction too, but I suspect the guys will chip in some too

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
ok from the list above these you might enjoy
Ian Banks

Lionel Shriver

Child 44 - LOVE that... easy read about a serial killer in Stalin Russia.

Tomas Hardy - the Silence of the lamb, there are three of them now.

James Herbert - the Magic Cottage is one of his first novels that too year before it was published - personally although it was long since published after he shot to fame, it is good and probably the creepiest non gory book.

Then you have The Rats, the Lair, the fog.... loads of them... Good reads but total pulp.

One you get board of pulp fiction give me a prod and I'll give you another reading list.

OK thats probably enough from me for now, I could dig you up some non fiction too, but I suspect the guys will chip in some too

Thanks a bunch! I shall get started with seeking them out!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
LOL. Agreed. But during leisure time I try to read fiction. I'm doing my Masters in Communication now so I get (i.e. have!) to read more than enough non-fiction text than I can stand (and if this is a blasphemous thing for an INTP thing to say, then, darn my buttocks and smack me pink!). Fiction is for the mind to unwind, and I'm hoping to fill it up with good fiction. So far, I've been pretty hit and miss. :S Besides, aren't INTPs supposed to be imaginative, creative creatures? There's only so much one can mould with a non-fiction read - speaking, of course, in terms of a fantasy world filled with things like zombies and mouldy things.

Yeah fiction can make for better escapism, something all INTPs seem to be familiar with. Science fiction seems to be fairly popular among NTs.

Do any of you have any leads as to where I can buy / download-for-free (yes, somebody shoot me) ebooks online?
I don't live in the States, so Amazon is out of the question. A website that offers downloads for cheap from anywhere in the world.

Do you use torrents at all? If you type in the name of the book into google and add the word "torrent" to it, you can almost always find an ebook copy online. And it's free.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Isaac Asimov - Foundation series

Anything by Elmore leonard

Woody Allen- The Complete Prose

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Considered cult fiction... written by a Glasgow goth/ eccentric, definately doesn't fit into you categories but a really warm and whacky read...

The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar

Heart warming book about two Scottish thistle fairies who get banished from Scotland for playing Thrash metal and Drinking and doing too much drugs... so they land in New York and cause mayhem...

significantly charming, a wonferul read over the holdiays.

He also writes Thraxas Scie Fi (Ian Banks mentioned earlier also writes Sci Fi)... hiw web page

Martin Millar

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
All short stories of Roald Dahl.

Yeah I love his stories.

From the vibe I get from you specifically you would like:

A. Fiction
Fiction One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Weaveworld (Clive Barker), and Notes from the Underground.

B. Nonfiction
The Art of Seduction (Greene) and Prometheus Rising (Robert Anton Wilson)

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Mr. B. Gone by Clive Barker. Horror, about a demon from hell, in the sixteenth century, but hilarious.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Brave New World
Tao Te Ching

Ender's Game.

HecticRat

MBTI Type
INTP
John Dies at the End, by David Wong. It's a horror comedy written by an INTP, about an INTP who, along with his one out-of-control ESTP friend, finds himself unwillingly involved in a series of inter-dimensional invasion plots that are really just creative explorations of abstract thoughts and philosophical ideas put in writing by the author - complete with immature humour.

R

Riva

The more theoretical and (let's not forget) dull the book is the more interested an INTP would be.
They will successfully depend on their Fe to fall in love with it on time. :)