User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: INTs how often do you "run away" from socializing ?

In the worst case I'll avoid interaction on purpose.
    Usually with people whom I don't feel like I have a connection with at that moment, even though I 'know' them.
    Or for having a lack of anything relevant/meaningful to say, or 'cause I'm preoccupied.
    For instance, when being in the store I don't always feel the need to turn around for every known face there is (unless we've been friends or something).
    Also, sometimes I just really can't force a genuine smile or excited "Hiii *kiss*" for everyone. (I'm not best buds with everyone, don't need to do every person a favor, and pretty honest about it.)
    And when at social gatherings, I'll do something on my own for a sec; "sit back and relax" (and retreat for a little while).
    But as I said, that's at my worst - socially, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am curious how other INTs behave when they don't want to hang out with people but they "have too" .

Comments ?
    It depends on the situation. If it's something that I really don't want to go to, I won't go -- I'll find some reason that I "can't make it". That's really pretty rare, though (outside of family holidays, etc., which I generally avoid -- I'd rather see the family at other times).

However, when it comes to larger parties and events, I absolutely retreat. My usual strategy is to show up "right on time", and since most people show up "sometime in the first hour or two", this means that I have time to socialize with the hosts in a smaller group, which I like. Then, when things get busier and more "wild", I'll leave early. I don't slip out -- I'll always make my goodbyes to the host and leave pretty openly.

Sometimes you can't leave early though... in those cases, I do things like these:

• Play with pets. Pets are great if you want to be quiet, mostly left alone, and yet part of the group. Plus, I like animals .
    • Volunteer to help the hosts with some small task, even if just to get a temporary break from the forced social interaction by having something else to focus on for a while. Helping in the kitchen, making a run to the store to pick up ice, etc.
    • Sports. If it's a crowd that likes sports and has a game on, it's usually pretty easy to join that group and simply watch quietly. Actually paying attention to the game is optional
    • Talk to other introverts that I know well, in an isolated group. Stake out a corner of a room (often the kitchen *munchmunch*), and have a more private conversation.

Usually it's "enjoy what of the situation you can, have some fun, and then leave when it gets to be too much."

I've mastered the art of faux socializing, so much so I actually started liking it. Whoda thought? I still get overwhelmed in situations where it is too much though. I either; politely excuse myself or say goodbye to my host or ENFJ man takes over and manuvers me out of the situation. I also go watch sports, which isn't just an out for me. I love sports. I will also keep to the kitchen, usually out of need if the gathering is at my house. Which is also why I have a tv in the kitchen. With a cable box. How am I suppose to function without Verses on my kitchen tv?

I'll have the food out to you as soon as the first period is over, people!
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

152 so/sx
    INTp Ni

Only when I'm preoccupied with my thoughts or work.

However, I normally don't have to "run away" from socializing because I blend very well into the background, and the bulk of my interactions occur when I make the effort to initiate them. If I find myself in the situation as described in the OP, I try to make it clear that it's not the best time to converse, and I may arrange another time to meet depending on their reactions.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Junior Member Array

I can relate. I don't like going to these things and will avoid them, but it really depends a lot on the people and situation. Even been known to slip away before.

If it's people I know pretty well, if they're smart, interesting and fun then it's a bit different. For example my grad school buddies are ok since they're content leaving me alone when I don't feel like talking and I can just jump in when something interests me. Plus, we went through some kind of hell together so there is a weird bond. Plus there are always at least a few people there I know I can relate to if I get bored with some of the others.

I still can only take so much of the big group, but the specific people, the intellectual content and a sense that the people are willing to let other people be just what they are makes a huge difference over the typical shallow socializing with some groups of people.