• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs giving good impressions

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
yeap another thread with me wanting work advice! :doh:

Basically had my second work review and one of the key points was that I always give the impression that I'm tired, confused, not paying attention ect.

Yet I don't know how to not give those impressions as I'm not even aware I'm doing it!

God works doing my head in!

HELP!

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Basically had my second work review and one of the key points was that I always give the impression that I'm tired, confused, not paying attention ect.
HELP!

It's odd.
Usually ENTPs give the impression they are always on the go.
Are you stressed out? You dislike or you are bored by your work?

O

Oberon

As an ENTP, you're in your own head all the time, to the exclusion of almost everything else. That's how we get the impression of being "mad scientist" types... the eccentric visionary with brilliant technical understanding and limited regard for boundaries.

The solution? You're not going to stop being an ENTP, so don't look for ways to systemically change your mode of operation at work. What you can do, however, is to set a daily task for yourself to go about giving your boss the impression that you are fully engaged and paying attention.

I have found that if I can break out of my ENTP tendencies long enough at the end of the day and make a to-do list for the next morning... five or six bullet items on a piece of notebook paper... it's quite a big help. Keep this list where you work and where the boss can see it. Cross items off the list through the day. (Truly, whether or not the tasks are actually complete is less important than giving the impression that you're managing your work.)

Also, maintain an uncluttered workspace. Doesn't matter if you are really unorganized... just sweep the untidy piles into a cardboard box and stash it under your desk. If the area looks neat, the boss will think you're on top of things.

Lastly, when you're in conversations that include your boss, work to actively convey that you are paying attention. Make eye contact, nod at appropriate times, listen, and ask sensible, probing questions.

These all require that you make a minor effort at times. It's not difficult, but it is a little bit of work and requires a little bit of thought.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
As an ENTP, you're in your own head all the time, to the exclusion of almost everything else. That's how we get the impression of being "mad scientist" types... the eccentric visionary with brilliant technical understanding and limited regard for boundaries.
Well, true, everything outside becomes systemic inside our head. Which can give that 'away' side, especially when doing something that isn't 'directly' interesting, I tend to make hum, more 'far fetched' connections. Most of my life sort of seem like trying to connect in a non ti world sometimes. ^^

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Can you please explain your working situation more exactly?

Maybe you can learn about other themes to get a better control about your social life at work. For me it was learning about communication models and social interactions. When you constantly apply the type model in your work, the social area is getting better organized.

The second main problem are the boundaries. In my work as students teacher I do some didactical mistakes, because of seeing possiblities without reflecting about them. At the beginning of my work I didn't calculate this and lost my students. As I saw this effect, I felt that I am responsible for my students. I tried to build my lessons more accurat, and spend more time to make it good (sometimes I try to get it perfect, that is the other extreme). I recognized: I don't like perfect organisation through the whole work, but I must work with some good-organized base-elements.

I the working situation of everyday life it can be the well-regulated desk, the well-regulated computer space. If you can set this, and learn to react on the boundaries of your co-workers, you can concentrate more on your aims and tasks. And if you get a relaxed inner world, and learn reflecting before doing the complicated tasks, the situation is getting better.

But that are just cold hints, maybe not useful for your concrete situation. So, describe it in details, and we can give more detailed advises.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

That's annoying to not be judged on your performance, but on the fact that you don't smile enough or whatever bullshit they write like that.

I've had my entire staff complain about me because I didn't say good morning to everyone when I walked in, and just went straight to business.

I wonder if you can ask if it's your physical appearance or your actual work that is giving them that impression. If you are doing sloppy work, that would indicate for sure that you are not paying attention, and you should definitely work on that. If it's not work related, ask them exactly how many pieces of flair you are required to wear in order to make them happy. :newwink:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yet I don't know how to not give those impressions as I'm not even aware I'm doing it!

God works doing my head in!

HELP!

I'm with Oberone

Your an ENTP and this distracted look can be an ENTP thing, I do it really well myself... I have people complain I don't listen to them, but I can also quote them back chaper and verse. Tiered is probably a mix between real tieredness and appearing distracted or defused in some respects...

My mind has always wandered no day dreamed per sey but realing through abstractness..... can make you appear not with people. I do think its me tapping into a more unconcious palce but other people don't get that. You may also be tapping into two points in your brain at once... Id ot that too sometimes, but it must appear rather vaccant when you are doing it... like you are on an internal search.

A lot is about framing and how you appear to be.

Do pay attention especally when dealing with your boss and senior staff
Do look like you are listening, actually try to be listening- but also write notes ask questions etc

Make lists and above all deliver what is required when it is required... you will be totally fogiven almsot any ENTPness if you ensure you deliver high quality on time.

Hope this helps oit pretty mcuh says similar to the above. Most of all, this is a gap year job and it would be good to leave feeling you have acheived something, but don't go placing too mcuh burden on yourself to do so, allow yoruself to grow into the role.